Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Edit: PLEASE see my questions in the last post!
Would love some insight!

Last edited:

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
On iOS and tvOS the best video player app in my experience is Infuse. They have alpha version available for Big Sur. On tvOS, where I have mostly used it, it plays back DTS, DD, Atmos, TrueHD, HDR, DolbyVision. Only thing I think it doesn’t do is frame rate matching (on Apple TV you can do this from settings app).

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
On iOS and tvOS the best video player app in my experience is Infuse. They have alpha version available for Big Sur. On tvOS, where I have mostly used it, it plays back DTS, DD, Atmos, TrueHD, HDR, DolbyVision. Only thing I think it doesn’t do is frame rate matching (on Apple TV you can do this from settings app).
Yes, I use the frame rate matching in ATV 4K settings, and Infuse as main app with my Apple TV 4K. (I don't think it plays Dolby Vision?)

But what about Mac Mini? (As I wrote, I use the Infuse (alpha version).

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
No more tips/tricks with mkv players, HDR, frame rate etc?

What about bluetooth codecs for headsets??
I am pretty sure it's AAC with my Sennheiser MTW2, and the AirPods Pro.
But not possible to use the "old method" with Bluetooth Explorer and "enable/disable" AAC/AptX?
Pressing "alt-bluetooth" to check the codec is not possible either.

Please, would love answers to these questions.

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
And what about Netflix in 4K Dolby Vision?
When using Safari, it says Dolby Vision on supported movies/series, but no luck with my M1 Mac mini.
Is it because of the M1, or that I use HDMI to HDMI (not DP)?

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
I have the Mini M1 connected to a LG OLED C8 tv.
1. Do the Mac Mini M1 support DTS-X / TrueHD with HDMI? If so, any apps supporting this?
2. Is it possible to automatically detect and play the right frame rate with movies?
3. Is it possible to automatically detect and play HDR on files that support this?
(if 2 and 3 are possible, any app that already support this?)
4. Any chance of getting Dolby Vision with Netflix/Disney/Apple TV+ from a browser on my M1/LG OLED?
5. What bluetooth codecs are supported with Mac Mini M1? With my late 13 Macbook Pro, you could use Bluetooth Explorer to change between AAC and AptX.

PLEASE answer if any of you got any info for me :) Thanks.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I have the Mini M1 connected to a LG OLED C8 tv.
1. Do the Mac Mini M1 support DTS-X / TrueHD with HDMI? If so, any apps supporting this?
2. Is it possible to automatically detect and play the right frame rate with movies?
3. Is it possible to automatically detect and play HDR on files that support this?
(if 2 and 3 are possible, any app that already support this?)
4. Any chance of getting Dolby Vision with Netflix/Disney/Apple TV+ from a browser on my M1/LG OLED?
5. What bluetooth codecs are supported with Mac Mini M1? With my late 13 Macbook Pro, you could use Bluetooth Explorer to change between AAC and AptX.

PLEASE answer if any of you got any info for me :) Thanks.

1. Yes but it depends on the source. VLC does support this. I have LG CX and it doesn't pass through DTS, so I have to go through a separate receiver. I'm not sure how the C8 deals with DTS, but I'd consider a receiver to be on the safe side.
2. I don't think so. You're locked to the frame rate that you have selected in System Preferences. As far as I know, there's no way for MacOS to automatically adjust refresh rate (frame rate) depending on the content.
3. Yes, HDR is supported, but only if you have enabled HDR in System Preferences. Youtube in Safari does support this, as does VLC.
4. Not at the moment. I have to use the built-in Netflix app in my LG CX to get Dolby Vision.
5. AptX is the absolute max.

P.S.: I was considering a M1 Mac Mini as an HTPC, but it seems to me that it has many limitations currently. So for now, I'll stick with just a MacBook.

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
1. Yes but it depends on the source. VLC does support this. I have LG CX and it doesn't pass through DTS, so I have to go through a separate receiver. I'm not sure how the C8 deals with DTS, but I'd consider a receiver to be on the safe side.
2. I don't think so. You're locked to the frame rate that you have selected in System Preferences. As far as I know, there's no way for MacOS to automatically adjust refresh rate (frame rate) depending on the content.
3. Yes, HDR is supported, but only if you have enabled HDR in System Preferences. Youtube in Safari does support this, as does VLC.
4. Not at the moment. I have to use the built-in Netflix app in my LG CX to get Dolby Vision.
5. AptX is the absolute max.

P.S.: I was considering a M1 Mac Mini as an HTPC, but it seems to me that it has many limitations currently. So for now, I'll stick with just a MacBook.
Thanks for answering. ?

1. I don't get VLC to play DTS-X and Dolby TrueHD with 4k hdr mkv files.

2 and 3. This is what I feared, and makes a Mac less suitable for watching movie-files than with Windows 10 and MPC-HC with MadVR (K-lite codec pack) where both HDR/Frame rate/resolution are enabled automatically.

4. This is not very important, cause as you say there is good support for this in the built-in Netflix/Disney/Apple TV+/Prime app on the C8. HDR is not available with browsers/apps for these streaming services in Windows 10 either.
The reason I asked, is that when watching Netflix in Safari, the logo for Dolby Vision appears under supported series/movies.

5. How do you choose/know that you use AptX?? (on my late 2013 Macbook Pro, I could use the Bluetooth Explorer to enable/disable AptX and AAC)

Last edited:

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, VLC is like... the best option on a Mac, I think. It's a bit barebone, but you can compile the thing and fix a lot of issues yourself.

But anyways, I think MacOS is the main limitation right now for using Mac Mini as an HTPC. We'll probably see improvements over time, but it's not quite ready yet.

As for how I know it's AptX, I have a dedicated bluetooth receiver that tells me which codec is in use. It says AptX.

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Yeah, VLC is like... the best option on a Mac, I think. It's a bit barebone, but you can compile the thing and fix a lot of issues yourself.

But anyways, I think MacOS is the main limitation right now for using Mac Mini as an HTPC. We'll probably see improvements over time, but it's not quite ready yet.

As for how I know it's AptX, I have a dedicated bluetooth receiver that tells me which codec is in use. It says AptX.
I use the alpha version of Infuse. Hoping they will implement auto-switching for resolution/frame rate/HDR in the final version. And HD surround like DTS-X/TrueHD as well.
No player I've tried (and I've tried a lot) will play the HD codecs on my receiver.

Yes, you have AptX on your Macbook, not Mac Mini M1? As I said, I also get AptX on my Macbook Pro late 2013, when using Bluetooth Explorer. That doesn't work with the Mini M1. :(

Johnny McCash

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
I use the alpha version of Infuse. Hoping they will implement auto-switching for resolution/frame rate/HDR in the final version. And HD surround like DTS-X/TrueHD as well.
No player I've tried (and I've tried a lot) will play the HD codecs on my receiver.

Yes, you have AptX on your Macbook, not Mac Mini M1? As I said, I also get AptX on my Macbook Pro late 2013, when using Bluetooth Explorer. That doesn't work with the Mini M1. :(
About aptX, unless they changed it in newer macOSes (I'm an old fart refusing to upgrade from Yosemite), you can Alt-click the bluetooth icon in the OS status bar, and it'll show details, including the codec currently being used when a device is connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.