Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Hi,

After taking the plunge last year and getting myself a MacBook Pro (my first Apple product) I have just purchased an iPhone 5S after years of using an ancient Nokia handset (cue much laughter!)

I am getting the hang of the iPhone but there is one thing bugging me. I often have the phone on silent and I'd like it to flash up on the lock screen to tell me when I receive a text message message but I don't want it to say who the text is from. Is that possible? At the moment it flashes and says who the message is from. I've tried playing about with the settings but not had any luck yet.

Thanks for any help.

Glen

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi,

After taking the plunge last year and getting myself a MacBook Pro (my first Apple product) I have just purchased an iPhone 5S after years of using an ancient Nokia handset (cue much laughter!)

I am getting the hang of the iPhone but there is one thing bugging me. I often have the phone on silent and I'd like it to flash up on the lock screen to tell me when I receive a text message message but I don't want it to say who the text is from. Is that possible? At the moment it flashes and says who the message is from. I've tried playing about with the settings but not had any luck yet.

Thanks for any help.

Glen
It's possible if you jailbreak (assuming you are on 9.1 or less).

Not possible stock.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
No. What you can do is hide the contents of the message itself. Settings > Notifications > Messages, then turn off "Show Previews".

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
No. What you can do is hide the contents of the message itself. Settings > Notifications > Messages, then turn off "Show Previews".

Thanks for the info. I've turned off the actual message contents but I'd just prefer it to say something along the lines of '1 New Message' rather than who has sent it. Oh well.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.