Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
For reference, I'm talking about the text replacement shortcuts (a default one is "omw" for "On my way!")

I seem to remember at one point that these shortcuts would sync between iPhone and Mac through iCloud. It actually happened for me once at long time ago, but never since. Is this not a feature? I really don't want to have to duplicate shortcuts on my Mac when I already created them on my iPhone.

Kubaton

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2013
Mine still sync. Maybe signing out and back into iCloud will fix the glitch.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
They do sync, but you have to have iCloud Drive check marked in the iCloud prefs for it to work. If yours are not syncing you might try turning iCloud Drive off then on again.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Maybe signing out and back into iCloud will fix the glitch.

When I did this, I had to stop using my iCloud account to log into the computer. Is these any way to reverse this, short of reinstalling OS X?
[doublepost=1459028937][/doublepost]
They do sync, but you have to have iCloud Drive check marked in the iCloud prefs for it to work. If yours are not syncing you might try turning iCloud Drive off then on again.

Did this, but they're still not syncing. When I called Apple, the told me it "wasn't a feature."

Kubaton

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2013
When I did this, I had to stop using my iCloud account to log into the computer. Is these any way to reverse this, short of reinstalling OS X?

Surely there's a way. I don't use an iCloud account to login but I will help you figure out a way unless someone more knowledgable can answer it. Hopefully you were able to get back in already though.

Syncing has always worked for me. I guess Apple covers themselves during issues like this by claiming it's not a feature.

Take a look at the solution in the first post of this thread and, if you are willing to do it, it may just solve your issue. It's simple to perform.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6487504?start=0&tstart=0

Someone else in the thread, as Weaselboy already mentioned, said all they had to do was turn off iCloud Drive and re-enable it for theirs to start syncing.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Surely there's a way. I don't use an iCloud account to login but I will help you figure out a way unless someone more knowledgable can answer it. Hopefully you were able to get back in already though.

Syncing has always worked for me. I guess Apple covers themselves during issues like this by claiming it's not a feature.

Take a look at the solution in the first post of this thread and, if you are willing to do it, it may just solve your issue. It's simple to perform.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6487504?start=0&tstart=0

Someone else in the thread, as Weaselboy already mentioned, said all they had to do was turn off iCloud Drive and re-enable it for theirs to start syncing.

I would have tried that, but I don't have a "Mobile Documents" folder. I tried turning iCloud Drive on and off, but that didn't work.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I would have tried that, but I don't have a "Mobile Documents" folder. I tried turning iCloud Drive on and off, but that didn't work.

~/Library/Mobile Documents/

If you have iCloud Drive on, you do have that folder. Copy the path above then click your Desktop then hit shift-command-g and paste the path into the popup and hit return. That will take you to the hidden Mobile Documents folder.

Reactions: Kubaton

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
~/Library/Mobile Documents/

If you have iCloud Drive on, you do have that folder. Copy the path above then click your Desktop then hit shift-command-g and paste the path into the popup and hit return. That will take you to the hidden Mobile Documents folder.

I pasted that into "Go To Folder" and it just took me to my iCloud Drive, not to Mobile Documents.

Is iCloud Drive enabled on your Mac and iOS devices? Also, I would reboot them after cycling iCloud Drive off and on. I'm not sure it matters though.

I did both of these things after reading this post...

Here's something else to try. Surely, we can beat this. :)

http://www.imore.com/ios-help-keyboard-shortcuts-not-syncing-ios-8

...but neither of them worked.

---

This is beginning to seem hopeless.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I pasted that into "Go To Folder" and it just took me to my iCloud Drive, not to Mobile Documents.

The Mobile Documents folder IS iCloud Drive. When you are in the iCloud Drive folder that is the same as the Mobile Documents folder. Finder just makes it look like iCloud Drive.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
The Mobile Documents folder IS iCloud Drive. When you are in the iCloud Drive folder that is the same as the Mobile Documents folder. Finder just makes it look like iCloud Drive.

So what do I do with that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.