Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Hey guys – I got a used 27 Thunderbolt monitor. I can't read text very well in most applications like Safari, Evernote, Excel with the default resolution of 2560 x 1440. I can read text fine at 2048x1152 but obviously there is lower clarity of graphics. I also heard that changing a monitor's default resolution isn't ideal. Does Sequoia have any function within accessibility to increase text size in all applications and not just macOS applications like notes? Text Size (Displays) only lists the default MacOS apps it can impact. Any other options or 3rd party apps that I should check out here? Evernote does have an option to increase font size and Safari does but hopefully to do something system wide so I don't have to play with individual app settings as there are quite a few there apps. I constantly find myself zooming in documents, etc

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Setting the display scaling is pretty much your only option (or look into using the zoom accessibility feature, but you probably wouldn't like how that works).

In your case, you may be better off with a 27" 4K monitor instead. That would have a default "looks like" resolution of 1920x1080...so just tiny bit larger than 2048x1152, but everything would be pixel perfect and look sharp.

etaleb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I thought 4K monitor would have even more pixels so everything would appear even smaller?

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
This has been an issue with Apple for decades. I remember Steve Jobs trying to explain it, but he couldn't quite do it. This is one of the reasons I've always preferred a Windows PC for everyday tasking. It's much more user-friendly at a viewing distance of around 20 inches. Even Google Chrome handles screen content better than Apple/Safari.
—Apple products consumer since 1983

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I thought 4K monitor would have even more pixels so everything would appear even smaller?
Yes, it has more pixels, but macOS will make it look like 1080p by default while making use of the full 4K resolution. In the same vein, Apple's 27" Studio Display is 5K (5120 x 2880), but looks like 1440p by default.

Basically, for these higher pixel density displays, Apple downscales the full resolution by 2x to make things sized appropriately and look sharp. I've got a post here that explains how that works.

etaleb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
OK, I have the Apple A1407. I generally like sticking with the Apple monitors to avoid any compatibility issues in the future. Do you mind providing model numbers so I can start looking on eBay - thanks a lot!

Reactions: brsilb

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
OK, I have the Apple A1407. I generally like sticking with the Apple monitors to avoid any compatibility issues in the future. Do you mind providing model numbers so I can start looking on eBay - thanks a lot!
I don't know of any specific monitors to recommend, but maybe someone else can. Apple has never made a 27" 4K monitor, but they did endorse the LG UltraFine monitors before they started making their own again. People have been happy with Dell monitors too. You shouldn't have to worry about compatibility issues as long as you get one that has DisplayPort, HDMI, USB-C, or Thunderbolt and the appropriate cable to go with it. Could probably wait for Black Friday deals to find a new one for cheap, and then be able to return it if you aren't happy with it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You're not going to like this reply.

You bought the wrong display.

I sense that you're like me -- "older eyes", perhaps?

I find text displayed at "normal" font sizes on a 27" display that "looks like 1440p" just too small to read comfortably.

What you SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT is a 27" 4k (NOT 5k) display.
Text on these (at "looks like 1080p") will be somewhat "larger" (but not overly so) and VERY clear.

Much better for older (or weaker) eyesight ...!

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
The one thing I dislike about Mac. Windows looks clear and perfect out of the box but with the same screen I had to tinker with settings for hours and run a few Unix commands to get it 95% there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.