Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Australia
Can anyone offer some advice on texturing, I have made a few attempts at flowers which are ok, but seem to ruin the photo when it comes to portrait shots.

Iam using Pixelmator, which I know is pretty capable of most things for photographs.

Thanks

Attachments

• Flowers (1).jpg
    Flowers (1).jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 109

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What exactly is your goal with the whole texture thing? Is it to make the photo more interesting? As far as portraits go, personally I think most portraits should be presented without some funny plug-in applied to them, but that is me.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
If you are having trouble with Pixelmator you can always try iPhoto. It may seem simple but when it comes to quicky applying effects and textures to photo it beats everything handsdown, IMO. For example (see the attachment) this too all of 5 minutes to get it just right in iPhoto, I think it turned out rathe well.
If you still want to use Pixelmator I think the best advice is to just play aound with all the different options until you learn what each of them does and how you can get the desired look from each one or a combination of filters.

Attachments

• texture.jpg
    texture.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 91

sud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Australia
Thanks emorydunn,

Thats the sort of effect a am looking for, I tried with some texture layers then overlaid them and adjusted the opacity.

How did you get that effect?

Thanks

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
GAA! I meant to check on that once I got home yesterday and I forgot, so now I'm back at work. If I remember (I'll edit this once I get home) I will check once I get home *writing myself a reminder*
Oh, and all of that is done in iPhoto '08.

OK, here is the list of effects:
Antique, 9
Fade Color, 4
Edge Blur, 6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.