Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
FullSizeRender 13.jpg

For anyone that cares or found the shiny edges irritating, the 2017 iPad has matte chamfered edges meaning this is likely to spread to the Pro lineup later this year. Personally I think this looks better, especially on a tablet.

Another design tweak that will be coming to the Pros is the microphone array on the top and back. On the iPP, the microphones will not be moved here, but new microphones will be added in those positions to result in quad microphones.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be available on the next Pro. So far the only devices with matte chamfered edges are this iPad and the iPhone SE, both considered the budget device of their category. I think I read somewhere that the polished edges cost a little bit more to do, which could be why these budget devices don't have it.

Also, a design change could remove any type of chamfered edge like on the iPhone 6-7.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be available on the next Pro. So far the only devices with matte chamfered edges are this iPad and the iPhone SE, both considered the budget device of their category. I think I read somewhere that the polished edges cost a little bit more to do, which could be why these budget devices don't have it.

Also, a design change could remove any type of chamfered edge like on the iPhone 6-7.
That's very true, it could just be on budget models. it is an effective visual indicator, and the polished edges indicate a more premium device. I do hope it is a larger scale change though. The only other device with chamfered edges, released in 2016 was the 9.7" iPad Pro and it didn't make sense to randomly make the switch then. But at the end of a day it isn't big deal and I wouldn't mind either way.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Don't think it has anything to do with one being more "premium" than the other - I mean, iPad mini 2 had polished chamfered edges until yesterday and there was nothing premium about that device. I actually think the matte edges look much better (more "premium") and will wear much better than the polished edges.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't think it has anything to do with one being more "premium" than the other - I mean, iPad mini 2 had polished chamfered edges until yesterday and there was nothing premium about that device. I actually think the matte edges look much better (more "premium") and will wear much better than the polished edges.

I agree with this. And the iPhone SE also has chamfered edges, which doesn't make it any less appealing over the previous models in my opinion , which is such a minor detail. I actually like the look.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah I prefer the look as well. I don't think it's an indication of one being more premium than the other, but it certainly indicates that when you see it. Since it's a relatively new design tweak, the iPad mini 2 wouldn't have been affected.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I prefer that as well, but the iPod touch had the iPad Air 2 design back in 2012, and a new iPad released almost five years later can't have it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.