Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
While everything suggested a 13" MacBook, Apple introduced a 13" MacBook Pro as the successor to the 13" MacBook Air. However, it has everything that was expected for a 13" MacBook: A 15W processor and 2 USB-C ports.
Along with the 15W processor and 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, it uses the same RAM found in the MacBook Air. So it baffles me why Apple would market this as a MacBook Pro, as that could be confusing for consumers.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Along with the 15W processor and 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, it uses the same RAM found in the MacBook Air. So it baffles me why Apple would market this as a MacBook Pro, as that could be confusing for consumers.
Probably because it's all relative. What are the alternatives? The MacBook Air is being discontinued, which leaves the only MacBook below the non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro the MacBook with Retina Display. And since that uses a Core M processor, the non-Touch Bar MBP can be considered "pro" next to Apple's other offerings.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
While everything suggested a 13" MacBook, Apple introduced a 13" MacBook Pro as the successor to the 13" MacBook Air. However, it has everything that was expected for a 13" MacBook: A 15W processor and 2 USB-C ports.

And for $500 USD more. Good point though. Internally it does sound more like a MacBook Air, but it's designed as a MacBook Pro.

Honestly they should have made something like a 14" MacBook (larger version of the 12") with these specs. Would have been a more suitable replacement.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Probably because it's all relative. What are the alternatives? The MacBook Air is being discontinued, which leaves the only MacBook below the non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro the MacBook with Retina Display. And since that uses a Core M processor, the non-Touch Bar MBP can be considered "pro" next to Apple's other offerings.

I understand where your coming from, although they are still selling the 13" Air.
The 7th gen Core M processors are labelled under the i5 and i7 names so would fit with 15W processor naming if they made a 13" MacBook.
[doublepost=1477599594][/doublepost]
And for $500 USD more. Good point though. Internally it does sound more like a MacBook Air, but it's designed as a MacBook Pro.

Honestly they should have made something like a 14" MacBook (larger version of the 12") with these specs. Would have been a more suitable replacement.
Yeah, i think they would go with 13" though, but the problem with going with that size is the battery life with using a 15W processor because they would go for the tapered design. The design would also be inconsistent because of the speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.