Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I was watching the local news here in Vancouver and they covered this incredible timelapse. For those who are curious I saw he was using a Canon, but I didn't catch which model is was. (Not implying camera has anything to do with final outcome - I just know some people may ask!)

I've tried some Timelapses myself in the past but none have turned out as I would have liked them too. I'm reconsidering trying again because of this video.

MUST watch in HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xMz2SnSWS4

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I was watching the local news here in Vancouver and they covered this incredible timelapse. I saw he was using a Canon, but I didn't catch which model is was. I've tried some Timelapses myself in the past but none have turned out as I would have liked them too. I'm reconsidering trying again because of this video.

MUST watch in HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xMz2SnSWS4

I doubt camera brand has anything to do with it. Some photographer did time-lapse photos of glaciers melting - one shot an hour for three years. He used Nikons, but it could have been any brand of camera.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Impressive, I wonder how the HDR parts were done, it would have taken a long time doing each HDR frame individually?

This video has inspired me too to try something like this.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Lived in Vancouver for close to 25 years. Still live nearby. Most times that city is just a city, maybe greyer and wetter than most... but then the sun and clouds and the water and the mountains and the city towers all come together to create something with the light that leaves you stunned, speechless, and in awe. The city will make your heart race and you will realize that you have just experience something special, magical, spiritual, and ineffable.

And then it starts to rain again.

That was a great time-lapse.

The camera used makes no difference, any good camera would have done.

All kudos to the photographic/video team.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to imply that the brand of camera had anything to do with it. I was just saying it for those who were curious and were interested to find out which model it was based off that we know it's a Canon and 12MP! Personally I'd like to know what kinds of lenses he used and about his workflow in post.

Impressive, I wonder how the HDR parts were done, it would have taken a long time doing each HDR frame individually?

Yeah I'm wondering that too. Or perhaps there was some automation. Also a lot of the shots looked what I'd say is "perfect" after a bit of fixing up in photoshop. I'm wondering if they was some automation in that too for each frame.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I will say it is a beautiful video. I wonder what the interval between shots was, looks pretty fast, maybe 2-3 seconds, then played back at normal speed (24 or 30 fps.) That's just a layman's guess. It's really a cool way to do landscape video, no doubt.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
That's a very impressive video. As for the processing, I'm pretty sure that photomatix allows for batch HDR photo processing, and you could do further adjustments in Lightroom with a batch of photos. I'd like to know how the panning of some of the shots were done that seemed like the camera was floating. Probably some rig that was required to allow it to move slowly enough to allow for the time lapse. Very nice.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
That's a very impressive video. As for the processing, I'm pretty sure that photomatix allows for batch HDR photo processing, and you could do further adjustments in Lightroom with a batch of photos. I'd like to know how the panning of some of the shots were done that seemed like the camera was floating. Probably some rig that was required to allow it to move slowly enough to allow for the time lapse. Very nice.

I've seen people do panning lime lapse using a slightly modified telescope tripod since it's got a motor on it. You can also get motorised heads for actual photo tripods.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
... I'd like to know how the panning of some of the shots were done that seemed like the camera was floating. Probably some rig that was required to allow it to move slowly enough to allow for the time lapse. Very nice.

I'm a former Vancouverite, and know the downtown core well. I've only watched the video once.... so take this as my first impression.

Many shots were taken from bridges, as the rig moved across the bridge. The downtown core has 5 or 6 bridges (depending on how you count) that go up and over water and lead to downtown.

However, it seemed to me on first impression that at least cherry-picker would have been used.... but I'll look at it again.

As well, Vancouver is bordered on the north by the Coastal Range of mountains, so many shots could have been from North Vancouver and West Vancouver. And using a heck-a-va long lense at that. Or perhaps some of the towers on the North Shore.

Vancouver is also very hilly, with a bunch of hills and "mounts" scattered around. I used to commute 20 to 30 minutes in an east-west line (but going against traffic not with, so I was actually moving) and some days in the winter I would moves from rain to snow 3 times - each time I went from a low bit to a neighbourhood on a hill.

Vancouver also enforces "view corridors". So there are whole areas - sometimes linear - where building heights are kept low so that the mountains remain clearly visible from certain points.

Oh, and Vancouver doesn't believe in highways, so Vancouver proper doesn't have any, and the parts that make up Metro Vancouver have - oh, something like 3, 4, maybe a half-dozen... ?

So, I guess what I am saying is that its not hard to find vantage points with height to get the angles seen in the video. Vancouver has worked hard - very hard - to become and remain an attractive city.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Ah, I see. The video is very impressive and ethereal. It's inspiring me to experiment myself!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Lived in Vancouver for close to 25 years. Still live nearby. Most times that city is just a city, maybe greyer and wetter than most... but then the sun and clouds and the water and the mountains and the city towers all come together to create something with the light that leaves you stunned, speechless, and in awe. The city will make your heart race and you will realize that you have just experience something special, magical, spiritual, and ineffable.

And then it starts to rain again.

That was a great time-lapse.

The camera used makes no difference, any good camera would have done.

All kudos to the photographic/video team.

That describes Portland as well :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.