Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
After my old PowerShot G3 crapped out a while back, I have been looking for a replacement advanced P&S. The PowerShot G7 would fit the bill, but after looking at many reviews giving the camera lackluster reviews, I'm not so sure. Does anyone have a G7, and would like to share their experience with it? Or should I go with another P&S (like the PowerShot TX1)?

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Quite honestly, it takes wonderful pictures. Use the Camera Finder on Flickr to see the shots people have taken with it; absolutely lovely. The G7, however, eliminated several awesome features of the G6. The main one, for me at least, being the ability to shoot in RAW. Canon is a bunch of idiots for removing that feature. Once you go RAW, you never go back.

DPReview really is the best digital photography review site on the net. They explain the differences between the G7 and the G models of the past and why this one is such a ****-up. Also, they provide in-depth samples galleries where you can see pictures from the G7 right next to the same exact picture taken by a similar competitor.

Here is the in-depth review of the G7. It's what made me choose not to buy it.

Daniel.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I have a G7, and the only thing that has bothered me about it is that it doesn't shoot raw. Of course, I don't make a living (or much money at all) off of my photography, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't be using this camera.

The only other issue would have to be noise above ISO 400, but I almost never have to shoot that high. In fact, 90% of my shooting happens at either ISO 80 or 100, 200 if I really need it.

As far as features and functions, the camera is pretty solid. Nice IS lens (especially for its size), easily accessible features, in a pretty compact package.

I haven't had a chance to go on a serious photography outing, but I do have some shots I've taken while walking around campus. If the pictures look fuzzy or have artifacts, It's probably because I had to reduce the quality to get them to upload. If you want a higher resolution version, let me know and I can email it to you.

Also, let me know if there are any specific questions you have regarding the camera. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have, to help make sure you choose the camera that's right for you.

Attachments

• UT_baseball_3411.jpg
    UT_baseball_3411.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 83
  • cranes_2337.jpg
    cranes_2337.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 68
  • DKR_UT_stadium_2498.jpg
    DKR_UT_stadium_2498.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 76
  • icicles_1968.jpg
    icicles_1968.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 84
  • bells_shadow_2202.jpg
    bells_shadow_2202.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 99

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Bad reviews?

I purchased my G7 two weeks ago after some pretty extensive researching. I didn't find any reviews saying it was outright bad. Almost all were actually very much full of praise.

The major selling points for me were the easy access to all the manual features, the picture quality and the compact form factor. As far as competing compacts go you'll be hard-pressed to find something that will equal its feature set and quality in a similar sized package. For the most part you end up with a super-zoom like the Sony H7 or the Lumix FZ8. The Canon is in a class of its own as far as I'm concerned.

The biggest drawback for me is the lack of a tilting lcd. I don't care about RAW (yet :) ). I guess the lack of RAW could be a deal breaker for you though.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I like RAW.... but I guess I can live without it. How is the noise in the higher ISO levels? It seems like the review of DPReview says the noise is awful, and by the looks of it, it is.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I like RAW.... but I guess I can live without it. How is the noise in the higher ISO levels? It seems like the review of DPReview says the noise is awful, and by the looks of it, it is.

I haven't really used the high ISO settings much, but it isn't fantastic. On the other hand most compacts aren't. The high ISO settings are problematic for any digital camera using a relatively small sensor with lots of megapixels. If you find that a big problem you might want to consider a DSLR.

I don't really find the noise levels disturbing. Shooting at the highest quality you get huge physical pictures. When you view then at 100% you can see the noise on some parts even at lower iso settings. But in practice you never view then at 100% so its not really relevant.

So far I've been really pleased with the image quality the colors are vivid and the pictures are very sharp.

Sites like dpreview.com are very knowledgeable but are also extremely critical. They'll point out every flaw that a "normal" person wouldn't notice or worry about. Nonetheless, its a great place to make sure you get the best bang for your buck!

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004

The noise at high ISO is an issue in all small cameras - with the possible exception of some Fuji cameras like the F20/F30/F31 (and a few other Fuji cameras with the Foveon sensor)... although those cameras have issues of their own. I find that the G7 is pretty good up to ISO 400, and usable for snap shots at ISO 800.

If you really want low noise at high ISO's, then you'll need to go with a much larger DSLR system like the Pentax K100d, Canon 400 XTi, or Nikon D40.

I have a G7 and a Canon 350d DSLR. They both take great pictures under most circumstances. Most of the time I use the G7 because it's easy to carry around - but if I have a specific need, like taking pictures of kids in low light, or if I want a shallow depth of field, then I'll use the DSLR.

The real benefit of the G7 is it's size. It's a great "walk-around" camera that you can carry with you every where - and to places where taking a DSLR with a few lenses just wouldn't be practical.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
After my old PowerShot G3 crapped out a while back, I have been looking for a replacement advanced P&S. The PowerShot G7 would fit the bill, but after looking at many reviews giving the camera lackluster reviews, I'm not so sure. Does anyone have a G7, and would like to share their experience with it? Or should I go with another P&S (like the PowerShot TX1)?

I'm stating to look around again for a new P&S. I have a Nikon DSLR but I need something smaller too. And I want to place it inside a water proof housing. Canon's lack of RAW is a deal breaker. I'd rather buy an older used Canon than a new one that lacks RAW.

But I've discovered the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. Seems to be the best one out there for it's size and price. Well, almost the best. Leica sells a version of the camera with small refinements for $100 more. But for most people the Panasonic varient is best.

But no housing is available for the LX2 yet. So I'll wait. But if you don't need a housing look into the Panasonic or Leica.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
The real benefit of the G7 is it's size. It's a great "walk-around" camera that you can carry with you every where - and to places where taking a DSLR with a few lenses just wouldn't be practical.

Bingo!

I carry my G7 with me everywhere I go. Something that would be hard to do with a dSLR, or even sub dSLR cameras with a fixed or protruding lens element.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.