Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Overcast days are the best lighting!

Apparently, reading thru the thread, he does this "alot" at the same spot and everything.

So, while it seems so off the cuff and perfect, its been done before.

Takes away a little of the magic of the photos if I bought them myself. Id rather have real unique photos than ones that simply have "us" in them.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Lovely photos, and a 1000 times better than anything I could do.

But er, in a nitpicking way, I felt they were a little bit cold. Everything was so perfect it became unrealistic, and I thought they were posed models (they weren't except for a couple).

Professional? Yes, 100%. Artistic? Not so sure.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Yeah, you'd be surprised how good of light you can get on a foggy day. It actually tends to be better than completely clear days.

Yeah, I know about the overcast, I just figured with that amount of pouring rain, that the light might be down some. Plus he was shooting from a distance, so I was thinking f4 @200mm or faster.

I found a forum where he was selling some Canon gear, assuming he was upgrading, I would guess he was using the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.

Maybe its living in Maine versus farther south (including NYC), but when we get that much rain, it gets DARK. :D

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Really inspiring shots! Something like this never before crossed my mind for proposing, but now how could I not have someone photograph like this (of course not the exact same way/place that'd be so trite).

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Damn that was awesome work. A tear formed in my eye. Or maybe it was dust.
If I had to say anything, its that the pictures could have been closer since this was pre-meditated. The distance combined with the big hat really took away from the bride-to-be. Still 1000x better than anything I have done. Or probably will do...

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Damn that was awesome work. A tear formed in my eye. Or maybe it was dust.
If I had to say anything, its that the pictures could have been closer since this was pre-meditated. The distance combined with the big hat really took away from the bride-to-be. Still 1000x better than anything I have done. Or probably will do...

I'm inclined to disagree - my opinion is that the framing on all of the shots was pretty close to perfect. You have the couple nicely positioned in the frame, and the rest of the shot helps capture the mood; I can see very little (if anything!) to criticise, across the board.

And bear in mind that, yes, it was pre-meditated, but the bride-to-be had no idea what was going on until the groom-to-be pointed at the photographer and told her. That would have added to the joy of the moment, IMO; surprising her with the pictures later on would have flattened it somewhat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.