Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torkeltiren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Hi! New to the forum as a user, but have been using it a lot for troubleshooting and appreciate what you all do! I'm thinking about buying an Imac. I currently own a late 2013 Macbook Pro 25 inch, which I preferably would like to connect to my Imac sometimes to get a bigger screen. I've read a lot about the current Imacs not being able to use as external displays, and that this is connected to the version of the current thunderbolt and displayport. If Apple were to upgrade thunderbolt and displayport, would that make it possible for me to use it as a external display? Or is the new Intel-GPU also necessary for this? Is my Macbook Pro to old to do this in itself and should I just try to find a good pre-retina Imac instead?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I am of the opinion that the real reason why the 5K iMacs cannot handle Target Display Mode is due to the custom timing controller that Apple had to develop to drive the monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate. Now that TB3 allows this natively, I would expect the next iMac 5K with TB3 will get rid of this custom T-con and allow TDM again.

Reactions: Alx9876

roadkill401

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2015
once gone never coming back. there is no financial gain for apple to bring back the feature.

torkeltiren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Though you have a point about the non-existent financial gain in bringing it back I hope CWallace's theory turns out to be correct. Worst case scenario I save a bunch of money, I guess!

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Hi! New to the forum as a user, but have been using it a lot for troubleshooting and appreciate what you all do! I'm thinking about buying an Imac. I currently own a late 2013 Macbook Pro 25 inch, which I preferably would like to connect to my Imac sometimes to get a bigger screen. I've read a lot about the current Imacs not being able to use as external displays, and that this is connected to the version of the current thunderbolt and displayport. If Apple were to upgrade thunderbolt and displayport, would that make it possible for me to use it as a external display? Or is the new Intel-GPU also necessary for this? Is my Macbook Pro to old to do this in itself and should I just try to find a good pre-retina Imac instead?
As an alternative, buy a nice 4K display. Use it as a second monitor to the iMac, or move it to the MBP when you want it there. The Dell P2715Q is only $480, or wait for the new rumored LG 5K Thunderbolt display. You can always use more screen real estate.

animan

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
once gone never coming back. there is no financial gain for apple to bring back the feature.

IMO they would sell a lot more iMacs if the Target Display feature was available. I had ordered a 27" iMac and then cancelled the order when I discovered I could not use it to connect to my Macbook Air or my PC.

Apple doesn't even sell a standalone monitor anymore... they have everything to gain by allowing Target Display feature from other Macs or PCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluespark

roadkill401

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2015
There was no financial gain for them to take it away, either.

actual fact, that is where you are wrong. they had plenty to gain in they were freed from having the limitations of an external sync that allowed them to make a custom timing chip to get 5K retina into a 27" screen. if they had to do that while still supporting display mode, it would have delayed the shipping or cost a significant more money to get it done.

As far as it loosing sales. Apple pulls the current monitor that really is not making them any money as there are now hundreds of monitors that could do the same res as that old monitor did. when it first came out there wasn't any competition for it. it was revolutionary and people bought it as it was great.

IMO they would sell a lot more iMacs if the Target Display feature was available. I had ordered a 27" iMac and then cancelled the order when I discovered I could not use it to connect to my Macbook Air or my PC.

you mean you would spend several thousand dollars to buy an iMac so that you didn't need to turn it on as a computer and hook up a slower Macbook Air to it? come on, just buy a stand alone monitor for goodness sakes. And technical specs will have it that you will require a USB-C/Thunderbolt3 connector that your Macbook Air and PC will not have so what will you have to gain? Apple is simply sell an external 5K monitor and if someone wants an extra monitor they will buy that for a better markup for Apple than they are getting on the iMac

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I'm going to sound like an ass but I'm hoping it wont come back because my current rImac cannot do it and I don't need any reasons to want to upgrade :p

animan

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
[QUOTE
you mean you would spend several thousand dollars to buy an iMac so that you didn't need to turn it on as a computer and hook up a slower Macbook Air to it? [/QUOTE]

Do you understand english? Yes, I said that I had ordered one and cancelled since it did not support Target display to my other computers. I plan to use all of my computers and do not have space for 10 monitors on my desk. Take your stupid reasoning of Apple's financial gains elsewhere.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Shamgar

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
I am of the opinion that the real reason why the 5K iMacs cannot handle Target Display Mode is due to the custom timing controller that Apple had to develop to drive the monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate. Now that TB3 allows this natively, I would expect the next iMac 5K with TB3 will get rid of this custom T-con and allow TDM again.
TB3 uses two DP 1.2 streams to drive a 5k display. Apple would be more likely to use an internal DP 1.3 connection to drive the 5k display for simplicity, so it wouldn't be a simple pass through.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
TB3 uses two DP 1.2 streams to drive a 5k display. Apple would be more likely to use an internal DP 1.3 connection to drive the 5k display for simplicity, so it wouldn't be a simple pass through.

Yes, but you can carry two DP 1.2 streams over a single TB3 cable. Intel also does not support DP 1.3 in Skylake nor will they support it in Kaby Lake. So Apple would have to go with a third-party controller from someone like Synopsis to enable DP 1.3. They may do so, but past history has shown they prefer to go with the integrated Intel solution even if it is less-elegant (like now, where we have to dedicate two TB2 ports to carry 5K to an external display because TB2 only supports single-stream DP 1.2).

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
[QUOTE
you mean you would spend several thousand dollars to buy an iMac so that you didn't need to turn it on as a computer and hook up a slower Macbook Air to it?

Do you understand english? Yes, I said that I had ordered one and cancelled since it did not support Target display to my other computers. I plan to use all of my computers and do not have space for 10 monitors on my desk. Take your stupid reasoning of Apple's financial gains elsewhere.

Wow, there was no need to be a jerk about it. It's obvious that he understands English. The problem appears to be that you don't really understand as much tech as you think you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: old-wiz

animan

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
Wow, there was no need to be a jerk about it. It's obvious that he understands English. The problem appears to be that you don't really understand as much tech as you think you do.

We are not talking tech here, we are talking whether or not it makes financial sense for the feature to be added. Regardless of technical issues, if Apple wanted to, they would have found a way.

How much tech do you understand? I have been working in tech in the silicon valley for more than 25 years... I will teach you a thing or two.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
As an alternative, buy a nice 4K display. Use it as a second monitor to the iMac, or move it to the MBP when you want it there. The Dell P2715Q is only $480, or wait for the new rumored LG 5K Thunderbolt display. You can always use more screen real estate.

I had the p2715q. It's a great display, but it's not as good as the screen on Apple's iMacs.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I also would buy if they added this feature back. I currently use a 2011 Core i7 iMac as my main home computer and frequently use it as a display for my work computer, a Windows laptop. It works beautifully and I love being able to press two keys to instantly toggle from one to the other. I'd buy a new iMac if I could use it the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.