Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Just did a deep dive on Western Digital wifi external drives for ipad. I kept thinking, "why is this
necessary"? Apple added usb-c to the pro line up, but this connection does not support--to
my understanding--direct media transfers. Why gimp capable--if developing --video tools like
Luma Fusion?

Wouldn't allowing direct media tranfers via usb-c be a decisive "pro" feature? Justifying
premium pro pricing and incentivicing larger ssd purchases

I also have a simple question: If apple allowed direct file transfer to the ipad: where would
this data live? There is now local folder system for media. Does Luma store its data in its
local app folder?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
There were some hints from Apple about iOS 13 opening up usb-c in the ipad pros. Guess we gotta wait to find out. But makes sense. It’s suppose to be a “pro” device after all. It’s certainly priced like one. I think good things are coming in iOS13.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
There were some hints from Apple about iOS 13 opening up usb-c in the ipad pros. Guess we gotta wait to find out. But makes sense. It’s suppose to be a “pro” device after all. It’s certainly priced like one. I think good things are coming in iOS13.

Could you link me to the hints you’re referring to please?

Reactions: dominiongamma

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Could you link me to the hints you’re referring to please?

Lol. I am trying to remember who it was...Tim Cook or Federighi - but some high level Apple guy was recently at a conference where they were directly asked about opening up the usb-c on the new ipad pros in iOS 13 to connect external HDs...and they gave a very coy, but positive nod to that being possible. I swear! It was within the last few months.

If i find it again, i will post immediately. But i’m not lying.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Lol. I am trying to remember who it was...Tim Cook or Federighi - but some high level Apple guy was recently at a conference where they were directly asked about opening up the usb-c on the new ipad pros in iOS 13 to connect external HDs...and they gave a very coy, but positive nod to that being possible. I swear! It was within the last few months.

If i find it again, i will post immediately. But i’m not lying.

"Craig Federighi answers question about "video" output through USB-C from the new iPad Pro. Says new functionality in that realm coming (jokingly asking Cook if he can "pre-announce" it, Cook says sure then gets a laugh when he asks no one in the room to share it broadly)"

https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/01/2019-apple-shareholders-meeting/

I can imagine Apple opening up USB-C for video transfer. But I doubt for storage, especially when Apple can charge customers nearly $1/GB for flash.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
"Craig Federighi answers question about "video" output through USB-C from the new iPad Pro. Says new functionality in that realm coming (jokingly asking Cook if he can "pre-announce" it, Cook says sure then gets a laugh when he asks no one in the room to share it broadly)"

https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/01/2019-apple-shareholders-meeting/

I can imagine Apple opening up USB-C for video transfer. But I doubt for storage, especially when Apple can charge customers nearly $1/GB for flash.

Ah, thanks man. Thats exactly it! I’d say that pretty much proves that the ability to connect an external HD to the new ipad pros is most likely coming in ios13

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.