Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
This has piqued my interest.... http://joby.com/products/gorillapod/

gorillapod-family-5x.jpg

...possibly for when tripods are not the most helpful.

Article link on MR front page

181154-camerastand.jpg

Joby was showing off their Gorilla Pod camera stands which allow you to securely mount your camera onto "anything". Prices range from $24.95 to $139.95 depending on the size.

...i wanna get one.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
These have been around for a long time. I shoot with a dSLR rig, lights, blah blah blah but when I go on vacation I take my little Canon G9, one flash, and a gorilla pod tripod. Great tiny little vacation kit.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Yes, it's a good thing to carry if a tripod isn't appropriate. It's certainly better than nothing... but it falls way short of what a tripod will offer. Is there always a tree branch, or fence-post or chair-back at the right place - and height - that you want? I'd find it more frustrating than useful...

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Yes, it's a good thing to carry if a tripod isn't appropriate. It's certainly better than nothing... but it falls way short of what a tripod will offer. Is there always a tree branch, or fence-post or chair-back at the right place - and height - that you want? I'd find it more frustrating than useful...

Certainly not a replacement for a tripod but very cool for occasions where you don't want to carry one around and you have some places to put it. I went around London last year with one and got some great night photos of Big Ben, Traf. Square, National Gallery etc. with this thing....

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I have one too. Great for in the city. But remember to add a ball-head with a quick release (e.g. manfrotto) if you order the larger Gorillapod. (SLR)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Cool, I can this useful when you go to holiday and want to take a family or yourself pic without having to ask someone to use your camera (which could be expensive not to mention risky) just to take photo of yourself.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I've had the Gorillapod (SLR version) to use with my cameras for a couple of years now and I've found it very useful; I find there is usually something to stand it on or wrap around for a stable picture. Will it replace a tripod that you can plunk down anywhere? No! But being able to carry it around in a day pack is really worth it.

My only gripe with the Gorillapod is that sometimes setting up your shot can take awhile to get it to grip and stay put, tougher sections with more friction would help for those gravity defying shots.

I have one too. Great for in the city. But remember to add a ball-head with a quick release (e.g. manfrotto) if you order the larger Gorillapod. (SLR)
Got links to that quick release setup? I haven't really had the need but I'm curious to see how your setup goes.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
My only gripe with the Gorillapod is that sometimes setting up your shot can take awhile to get it to grip and stay put, tougher sections with more friction would help for those gravity defying shots.

I've had mine for a while as well and agree with amount of effort that sometimes goes into setting a shot up. I mainly use it as a something I can throw in the bag with the added benefit of a little extra versatility. I've had a lot of issues getting it to do any crazy clamping, but it could be because I have the tiniest one which doesn't leave much of the arms for wrapping around anything more than once, if that.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I agree with most if not all the posts. Its a great little tool for me because it fits IN my camera bag, and it is a heck of a lot lighter and smaller than my tripod, but its function is limited. Great little product, though I'm not sure its worth the money.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I've had the Gorillapod (SLR version) to use with my cameras for a couple of years now and I've found it very useful; I find there is usually something to stand it on or wrap around for a stable picture. Will it replace a tripod that you can plunk down anywhere? No! But being able to carry it around in a day pack is really worth it.

Got links to that quick release setup? I haven't really had the need but I'm curious to see how your setup goes.

Something like this:

Attachments

• 618NJ37TS3L._SL500_AA258_.gif.jpeg
    618NJ37TS3L._SL500_AA258_.gif.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 845

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I agree with most if not all the posts. Its a great little tool for me because it fits IN my camera bag, and it is a heck of a lot lighter and smaller than my tripod, but its function is limited. Great little product, though I'm not sure its worth the money.

True, I got mine as a gift. It was a great gift!

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
You'll need to basically check if the threading post on the tripod is going to fit your camera. I'm 95% sure it will, since these things are pretty widely standardized.

The issue you are going to have is whether or not it is going to adequately support your camera. They make a big version of the gorillapod but I am not sure that even the big one adequately supports a large DSLR system with a moderate sized lens. Your best bet here is to probably get some hands-on time at a store. I thnk they are easily found in REI because they're popular with hikers, other places like BB might have them too.

Ruahrc

BTW nice grave dig :)

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
These are very neat.

I had a smaller one that was not strong enough for my DSLR and I gifted it to a friend who loves it for his small camera.

They also make one for the iPhone! I think it's the neatest idea.
The large size GP is pretty beefy, I have looked at it.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I have the SLR version of Gorillapod and these things can be quite handy in specific situations. Still, a tripod is a tripod....

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
With a small SLR & a small lens, the SLR Gorillapod works great. I shoot Canon. With my girlfriend's 350D and any of the small plastic lenses (50mm f/1.8, 18-55 IS, even 55-250 IS) it works great. No complaints.

With heaver gear you need to be very very careful about vibrations as it's more sensitive than a tripod (it's small & light & has lots of plastic joints, that's the tradeoff). When using my 40D & 135L I really have to work as I would with a much heavier camera on a normal tripod (e.g. mirror lock-up, cable release, wait for the wind to die down, etc) or the vibrations become noticeable. Stabilized telephotos are really a perfect companion to this thing; the IS just soaks up all the tiny vibrations so you can get by shooting normally if you're careful.

Definitely a lot better than no tripod at all, which is what I would have most of the time if I didn't have the Gorilla in the bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.