Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
iOS 17 is now feature complete in all practical respects. I thought it would be interesting to do a retrospective on the tentpole (major) features of iOS 17 and see how well they played out, at least for me.

Interesting side note: I generated the first two columns of the table using ChatGPT with the following prompt:

Make a table with a row for each iOS feature mentioned on this webpage: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/whats-new-in-ios-17-iphfed2c4091/ios

If iOS 18 can do stuff like this, this will be a total gamechanger!

Feel free to weigh in!

BEST VIEWED ON THE WEB VERSION OF MACRUMORS FORUMS

Feature
Description
The Gwhizkids Score (Letter Grade on First Line)
Contact PostersCustomize how you appear to others with Contact Posters, including photos, Memoji, and custom fonts.B
Solid addition, But not one many people seem to use so its been low impact for me
Live VoicemailSee a live transcript of a voicemail as it’s being left and decide whether to answer the call.A-
This has been very useful at times, but it is inconsistent and it was not well implemented at first
FaceTime MessagesLeave video or audio messages when someone doesn’t answer your FaceTime call.Incomplete (Inc) (for me)
I don’t use FaceTime enough to have needed to use this. Could be useful though.
StandByA new full-screen experience with glanceable information designed to be viewed from a distance while iPhone is on its side and charging.A+
This was the sleeper hit of iOS 17, especially for those with Always On Displays. I use this every day at my desk and every night on my Nightstand. It still needs work but even in its present form its a must have.
AirDropImproved AirDrop functionality with a new gesture to share content and NameDrop to easily exchange contact information.Inc
I don’t use AirDrop enough to this a grade.
MessagesVarious enhancements including improved search filters, transcription for audio messages, and a new check-in feature for safety.C
The new search filters don’t seem to me to be much better than the old ones (i.e., not particularly good). Have used Check In once. I guess it was ok.
StickersNew emoji stickers, live stickers, and a dedicated stickers drawer accessible across iOS.B+
For an old guy 😂 i use stickers much more than I expected. I love the Live Stickers which are tons of fun. They do need to improve the search feature for creating emoji stickers, as now you have to scroll all the way through them.
KeyboardEnhanced autocorrect, in-line predictive text, and improvements to dictation.D-
The autocorrect is simply awful. Awful, awful, awful. They had better fix this with iOS 18. The only thing that keeps this from being a failing grade is the improvement to the dictation recognition. But those improvements have already been eclipsed by Whisper-based transcription services, so Apple needs to get even better.
SafariProfiles for separating work and personal browsing, improved Private Browsing, and enhanced search functionality.C-
I don’t use any of the Profile features. But they really need to add a feature to the Profiles/Tab Groups to allow you to open the same set of tabs when you set up for your browsing session. Right now, you can set up Tab Groups, but they will open to whatever pages you had open on a given tab when you shut down. On the Mac, I had to create a Keyboard Maestro workflow to open the same set of tabs to the same set of pages. That seems like table stakes for Apple and easy to implement.
Passwords and PasskeysShared passwords and passkeys with trusted contacts.B+
Passkeys are a big big improvement. Just need more developers to implement them (which was why i gave this is a B+ rather than an A). The Password settings panel needs to be its own app, but its now nearly good enough to replace dedicated password manager apps like 1Password.
HealthNew mental health features to log mood and momentary emotionsInc
I want to like this one but I just don’t feel like logging how i feel. They make it relatively easy but its just not a “me’ thing.
HealthScreen Distance feature to encourage holding devices at a safe distance.Inc
Despite having this turned on, I have never had it warn me. I guess that’s a good thing!
MapsOffline maps support, enabling access to maps without an internet connection.A
This is well done. I did this for the area near home and it comes up automatically whenever I don’t have a cell signal. Sure beats the old “graph paper” screens that used to appear in such cases. i’ll be going to Alaska later this summer and we’ll see how it works there.
MusicCollaborative playlists to invite friends to add and edit music, and SharePlay integration in the car.Inc
Don’t use this.
AirPlayIntelligent AirPlay suggestions and easy device connections.Inc
Don’t use this.
HomeNew activity history in the Home app for locks, garage doors, and security systems.C-
Took a long time to show up (17.2?) and it was not clear immediately how this was to be operated. It’s spotty now for the devices it works for and needs to be expanded across other device types (i.e., lights).
JournalA new app designed to help users reflect and practice gratitude through journaling.B
Another one I want to love but just don’t. Maybe it will be good to capture memories from my upcoming Alaska trip. But I really don’t want any more suggestions about “My Afternoon Trip to McDonalds”.
Visual Look UpExtended capabilities to recognize pets, food, and landmarks in photos.Inc
Thought I’d use this one more. But mostly I use it to identify dogs.
SiriImproved responsiveness and the ability to activate Siri by simply saying “Siri” instead of “Hey Siri”.C
This one was probably more to set things up for iOS 18 (and perhaps the Vocal Shortcuts accessibility feature announced last week). I find myself still saying “Hey Siri” from years of long practice. So kind of ”meh”
Privacy and Security,Enhanced privacy settingsnew communication safety measures, and improved tracking prevention.Inc
It’s good to keep AirTags from stalking people. But so far that hasn’t impacted me so I’m giving this one an incomplete.
AccessibilityAssistive Access, Personal Voice for creating a synthesized voice, and Point and Speak for easier text interaction.A
I set this up and have never used it. Nevertheless, I am giving Apple an “A” for this one. No one ever expects to lose their ability to speak and this may soften the blow for some (and their families). It’s definitely an improvem over the creepy (though quite effective) SynthVoice Stephen Hawking had in his last years.

Last edited:
Reactions: madmin

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
My breakdown:

- Contact Posters: A+
- Live Voicemail: A+
- FaceTime Messages: Haven’t used this feature yet.
- Standby: A+, though my iPhone doesn’t have Always on Display, so less useful.
- AirDrop: A+
- Stickers: A+
- Keyboard: A
- Safari: A+
- Passwords & Passkeys: A (I wish it wouldn’t just assume I want to use passkeys on everything).
- Health: B+
- Maps: Haven’t really used it.
- Music: Haven’t really used it.
- AirPlay: B+. I’m really disappointed with this one. They even added an AirPlay Receiver setting in iPadOS, but it doesn’t work with anything except the Vision Pro. Hopefully 18 will fix this.
- Home: Haven’t really used it.
- Journal: A
- Visual Lookup: A+
- Siri: A
- Privacy: A+
- Accessibility: A+

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
My breakdown:

- Contact Posters: A+
- Live Voicemail: A+
- FaceTime Messages: Haven’t used this feature yet.
- Standby: A+, though my iPhone doesn’t have Always on Display, so less useful.
- AirDrop: A+
- Stickers: A+
- Keyboard: A
- Safari: A+
- Passwords & Passkeys: A (I wish it wouldn’t just assume I want to use passkeys on everything).
- Health: B+
- Maps: Haven’t really used it.
- Music: Haven’t really used it.
- AirPlay: B+. I’m really disappointed with this one. They even added an AirPlay Receiver setting in iPadOS, but it doesn’t work with anything except the Vision Pro. Hopefully 18 will fix this.
- Home: Haven’t really used it.
- Journal: A
- Visual Lookup: A+
- Siri: A
- Privacy: A+
- Accessibility: A+
Lol. You are way more forgiving than I am.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
I think overall, iOS 17 made a lot of good incremental changes. It wasn’t a big update, likely a lot to do with visionOS using a bunch of development resources, but it was a nice upgrade. We got several minor improvements like improvements to Stage Manager, external web cam support, support for emulator apps, support for streaming apps and apps that distribute “mini apps”, Standby, and a bunch of other small refinements to the system. While it wasn’t a groundbreaking update, or a bigger update like iPadOS 16 was, it was still a welcome update, and I think it lays the foundations for bigger improvements to come. 👍🏻

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
The Stickers feature is way more fun thatn I thought it'd be; definitely a surprise hit with iOS 17. :cool:
Yeah, I really enjoy the stickers! I’ve created way too many Grogu (baby yoda) stickers now! 👍🏻😂

Reactions: jb310

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Are you all using iPhone 15 series or are you using older iPhones but upgraded to iOS 17?

I'm thinking of skipping iOS 17 for my iPhone 14 Pro Max and I may upgrade to the iOS 18 developer release on June 10...

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Are you all using iPhone 15 series or are you using older iPhones but upgraded to iOS 17?

I'm thinking of skipping iOS 17 for my iPhone 14 Pro Max and I may upgrade to the iOS 18 developer release on June 10...

Wrong thread.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Wrong thread.
You did not understand my point...

I'm trying to understand whether you have purchased the iPhone 15 series which iOS 17 was designed for or you used an older iPhone but upgraded from an older iOS version to iOS 17 and used it daily... Which may affect how you see/grade your iOS 17 experience...

In other words, since I am not an iOS 17 user, as an outsider, I'm trying to look at it through your perspective...

Last edited:

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden

I'm trying to understand whether you have purchased the iPhone 15 series which iOS 17 was designed for or you used an older iPhone but upgraded from an older iOS version to iOS 17 and used it daily... Which may affect how you see/grade your iOS 17 experience...

In other words, since I am not an iOS 17 user, as an outsider, I'm trying to look at it through your perspective...
I’m using iOS 17 with an iPhone 13 and have no complains. 😊

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013

I am using an iPhone 15 Pro Max with no issues.

Still wrong thread though

drak22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Some of the new features of iOS 17 were only in English, or at least in Spanish they did not arrive. I'm referring to the new keyboard prediction and autocorrection features, the live voicemail I think too, and of course, Siri's short command only works in English haha
For the rest, the mental health news and the newspaper have used them as I have remembered, but they have not been very important characteristics for me.
Of the rest that are listed in the first post, either I don't use the app, or that feature hasn't caught my attention, apart from the ones we don't have due to the language barrier. In general, iOS 17 was a good version from the first beta, so I can't have many complaints about its performance. And I have used it on my old iPhone 13 pro and my current 15 pro and it has worked very well on both. It was a version without any innovations that mark the era, but it had enough changes to justify its installation.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Nice thread! Even tho I still haven’t tried iOS 17 (hopefully today I’ll restore my devices, which are still on iOS 16.6.1), I’m a bit underwhelmed that the new keyboard is not working as it should, and that according to the comment above mine, it is not available in Spanish.

But I’ll share my general impressions once I have it installed on my devices.

PS: I’m not sure if I should put a picture of myself on my poster… does it have privacy settings? Will it be shown to anyone who has my number, in messages? I know I can use a Memoji, but I find those pretty dumb.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
Nice thread! Even tho I still haven’t tried iOS 17 (hopefully today I’ll restore my devices, which are still on iOS 16.6.1), I’m a bit underwhelmed that the new keyboard is not working as it should, and that according to the comment above mine, it is not available in Spanish.

But I’ll share my general impressions once I have it installed on my devices.

PS: I’m not sure if I should put a picture of myself on my poster… does it have privacy settings? Will it be shown to anyone who has my number, in messages? I know I can use a Memoji, but I find those pretty dumb.
I believe there’s an option to share it or not share it. I set mine up a while ago, and I think I chose to share it with everyone, so I don’t remember what the options were.

Reactions: Populus

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Journal has been an app I’m using a lot more than I expected. I used to journal about a decade ago, but just sort of stopped as I started to use social media more.

Over the last year, I’ve deleted all of my social media accounts and switched any urge to use it over to reading and journaling. The Journal app is simple enough for me to enjoy using and it has a permanent spot on my iPhone dock now. Suggestions as you’ve mentioned could probably use some work, though I tend not to really use them all that much anyway. So, Journal gets an A from me.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Journal has been an app I’m using a lot more than I expected. I used to journal about a decade ago, but just sort of stopped as I started to use social media more.

Over the last year, I’ve deleted all of my social media accounts and switched any urge to use it over to reading and journaling. The Journal app is simple enough for me to enjoy using and it has a permanent spot on my iPhone dock now. Suggestions as you’ve mentioned could probably use some work, though I tend not to really use them all that much anyway. So, Journal gets an A from me.
Great move, I also expect to start using the Journal app now that I’m moving to iOS 17. But not having social media accounts has impacted my social life… or at least, meeting new friends and potential partners. But I’m better without them honestly.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Nice thread ! I'm surprised there are so few headline new features in iOS17. Not sure I've used any of them other than Maps, but at least I haven't had major issues this year and that's the most important feature.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Nice thread ! I'm surprised there are so few headline new features in iOS17. Not sure I've used any of them other than Maps, but at least I haven't had major issues this year and that's the most important feature.
iOS 17 was clearly a “Mountain Lion”-like release. It was not big on major new features. That was probably mostly due to the engineering resources needed to get the Apple Vision Pro out the door. As vast as Apple may be, it still has finite resources and those were needed for the new platform.

pw5a29

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Coventry, United Kingdom
Airdrop is like worse now. Not saying the capabilities, but realiability.

Like 30% of the time it would show declined or stuck at waiting. Then you remembered there's a new "bump" feature in iOS 17, you bump the two phones, both vibrated, but the selected photos were not shared -_-

Reactions: LockOn2B
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.