Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidanBoy132

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2022
Hello everyone. I recently upgraded from an iPhone XR to an iPhone 14 Pro and it's awesome. I enjoy everything about the phone including the much improved camera system with the 48MP sensor, most of the time. For daylight photos, when using night mode, or any video recording, the photos are amazing, and I think Deep Fusion, Smart HDR 4, and the photonic engine do a good job of improving the visual, but if your in a darker environment and decide to not use night mode and stick to just using the normal camera its a different story. It looks great in the viewfinder, but when the photo is captured it has an insane amount of noise. About a second later the photonic engine kicks in and "improves" it by removing most of the noise which does make it better, but overall just way over processes the photo and just makes it look odd and still worse than how it looked in the viewfinder. As well if I use the ProRaw 48MP in a dark environment (Not very common) it's even more noise and the photonic engine smooths out the noise badly. I love almost everything about this phone, but Apple needs to fix this issue with the iPhone 14s with an iOS update, but it's been 6 months since the phones were released so I have no idea when this could happen. If anyone is also having this issue please comment and we need to report this to apple through the feedback tool. Thanks.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hello everyone. I recently upgraded from an iPhone XR to an iPhone 14 Pro and it's awesome. I enjoy everything about the phone including the much improved camera system with the 48MP sensor, most of the time. For daylight photos, when using night mode, or any video recording, the photos are amazing, and I think Deep Fusion, Smart HDR 4, and the photonic engine do a good job of improving the visual, but if your in a darker environment and decide to not use night mode and stick to just using the normal camera its a different story. It looks great in the viewfinder, but when the photo is captured it has an insane amount of noise. About a second later the photonic engine kicks in and "improves" it by removing most of the noise which does make it better, but overall just way over processes the photo and just makes it look odd and still worse than how it looked in the viewfinder. As well if I use the ProRaw 48MP in a dark environment (Not very common) it's even more noise and the photonic engine smooths out the noise badly. I love almost everything about this phone, but Apple needs to fix this issue with the iPhone 14s with an iOS update, but it's been 6 months since the phones were released so I have no idea when this could happen. If anyone is also having this issue please comment and we need to report this to apple through the feedback tool. Thanks.
I get the feeling Apple are focused on ensuring photos look good for social media (e.g. Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok etc…) where a lot of detail is lost and over processing kind of looks good as you can apply filters etc…

Maybe they will fix this in when shooting in RAW but I highly doubt they will fix it in “normal” mode.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Download Halide and you can shoot 48MP jpeg images with no hdr (can turn it off within the app).

Reactions: AidanBoy132
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.