Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balderoine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
Usually after each upgrade we can expect some kind of bump in the iPhone’s speakers but this time I’m really bugged by the quality of the iPhone X’s speakers. The bass is super faint in low-medium volumes and it’s terribly loud if you crank it up. Add the stereo speakers in the mix and it hurts my head so much. I question why this is happening since my iPhone 7 Plus’ speakers were pleasant and so were the iPhone 8 Plus while I had it for 2 weeks. I tried to compare sound with my iPad Pro and it sounds normal. New speaker supplier maybe? New waterproof meshing? I had a case on but I removed it to test. What are your guys opinions?

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I think they are a huge improvement over my regular 7’s speakers. They have more bass and are far louder.

I’ve never heard a Plus model. Always just assumed they sounded the same as the regular models.

I’m kind of amazed at what these companies can do with these tiny, tiny speakers. There’s just no way they’re going to sound as good as a big dedicated Bluetooth speaker, the same way those will never sound as good as a good pair of dedicated speakers, but the X is like 60% of the way to having the sound quality and volume of my $200 Harmon Kardon Bluetooth speaker that is far, far bigger.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I compared it to the speakers on the 7, and it’s a huge difference. Not just louder, but fuller and less crackly at top volume. I mean, they’re not great, but they’re certainly listenable.

Reactions: ajscorpio69

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I’m happy with the performance coming from my 7 Plus, just been playing Tiesto and it sounded good for what it’s playing on, but everybody’s ears are different.
Probably a stupid question but have you tried changing the EQ in Settings? Maybe Small Speakers, Loudness or whatever sounds good to you.

balderoine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
I think they are a huge improvement over my regular 7’s speakers. They have more bass and are far louder.

I’ve never heard a Plus model. Always just assumed they sounded the same as the regular models.

I’m kind of amazed at what these companies can do with these tiny, tiny speakers. There’s just no way they’re going to sound as good as a big dedicated Bluetooth speaker, the same way those will never sound as good as a good pair of dedicated speakers, but the X is like 60% of the way to having the sound quality and volume of my $200 Harmon Kardon Bluetooth speaker that is far, far bigger.
That’s good I just wanted to know if anyone else had noticed any improvement or decrease in quality. I think the speakers are the same for both models. The top speaker grill is smaller this year on the X so I guess that if the speaker assembly got smaller I haven’t got used to it yet.
[doublepost=1509866201][/doublepost]
I compared it to the speakers on the 7, and it’s a huge difference. Not just louder, but fuller and less crackly at top volume. I mean, they’re not great, but they’re certainly listenable.
They’re louder for sure. Hopefully I get used to the slight different sound

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
The top speaker is terrible and crackly above 80% volume.. it also sounds incredibly tinny compared to the 7 plus and 8 plus..

Maybe it’s just my phone?

May be a deal breaker for me.. but I LoVE everything else about the X

balderoine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
I’m happy with the performance coming from my 7 Plus, just been playing Tiesto and it sounded good for what it’s playing on, but everybody’s ears are different.
Probably a stupid question but have you tried changing the EQ in Settings? Maybe Small Speakers, Loudness or whatever sounds good to you.
I haven’t tried that yet but I will give it a shot. Just curious if it is system wide. It’s weird how music sounds pretty good from songs in my Music library but from Spotify I get the quality of an out of whack EQ. It could be just the app.
[doublepost=1509866469][/doublepost]
The top speaker is terrible and crackly above 80% volume.. it also sounds incredibly tinny compared to the 7 plus and 8 plus..

I’m really enjoying mine too. I’ll just have to give it time and get used to it

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

I'd get a replacement. I swapped my SG for silver today and the speaker sounds much better. The first phone was very crackly and sounded awful at higher volume. Seems like they might have some defective units out there...

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I'd get a replacement. I swapped my SG for silver today and the speaker sounds much better. The first phone was very crackly and sounded awful at higher volume. Seems like they might have some defective units out there...
I’ll try tomorrow.. hope it’s just a defect....

balderoine

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Space Gray
I’ll try tomorrow.. hope it’s just a defect....
I had a software bug after completing the setup page where the homescreen failed to launch apps. I was at my carrier and they wanted to recall it until I did a hard reset on the spot. They still said it was defective and that one problem could lead to more down the line. Third strike and I’m definitely going to swap

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Usually after each upgrade we can expect some kind of bump in the iPhone’s speakers but this time I’m really bugged by the quality of the iPhone X’s speakers. The bass is super faint in low-medium volumes and it’s terribly loud if you crank it up. Add the stereo speakers in the mix and it hurts my head so much. I question why this is happening since my iPhone 7 Plus’ speakers were pleasant and so were the iPhone 8 Plus while I had it for 2 weeks. I tried to compare sound with my iPad Pro and it sounds normal. New speaker supplier maybe? New waterproof meshing? I had a case on but I removed it to test. What are your guys opinions?
I'm listening to Apple Music (my mix of songs) right now via my new iPhone X's speakers -- something I never would have done with previous models of the phone. I am really impressed with the sound quality, and actual stereo sound from something so tiny! I watched a movie trailer earlier to assess the quality of film presentation along with sound; and now listening to The Naked and Famous "To Move with Purpose", and the sound is excellent.

I also made a long speakerphone call earlier today, and the volume is heads and shoulders better than my last phone, which admittedly was 2 years old, an iPhone 6S Plus.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Cellphone speakers will probably never be able to replace other speakers. The speakers in the phone is only meant for phone calls,not music playback.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Watched spider-man homecoming and was really impressed with the audio, as good as my 7 an 8 plus models, maybe just not quite as loud but I don’t run any at 100% volume.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015

In my opinion they’re really good please make sure that your equalizer settings I’m not messed up.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Only coming from a 6S but the X sounds far superior. Not just the volume but the fullness and bass. Very pleased.

Never heard a plus model so cannot comment against them.

ajscorpio69

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
SF Bay Area

Louder and crisper than iPhone 7 Plus!
[doublepost=1509871092][/doublepost]

Sounds like your phone for sure. Mine are crisp and loud with zero distortion at full volume.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
I’m coming from a 6S Plus so it’s hard for me to help you because mine is such an obvious jump in volume and quality.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just to clarify for some, when Apple introduced the stereo speakers on the iPhone 7, they increased the loudness by 25% on the iPhone 8/8+. I'm not sure if the same applies to the iPhone X, even though they have stereo speakers.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Cheers. How would you describe the advantages of the 8+?

8+ plays a little deeper, and louder without any sense of shrill or distortion. Overall the 8+ is louder.

Sense of separation is very good with both with some movie tracks and songs having a real sense of enveloping you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.