Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

'Magic' Keyboard

• Sheer Brilliance

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • I don't get it

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • A total rip-off

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • WTF is a magic keyboard?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FireFish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Why in Zeus's Infinite Wisdom is this Magic Keyboard worth $350? :apple:????
Have we all gone mad, or am I alone on this? :rolleyes:

Also, what's so 'magical' about it? I dig the fact that the cursor appears on the screen, but that's worth $350? You can't even tweak shortcut keys the way you'd want with this. What's the logic here? It's very bulky, heavy, and not practical to carry all day. Is this another over-hyped Apple add-on that falls short of greatness, or am I just totally missing the boat.

I have another 8 days to decide if I should keep it before the return deadline hits - so any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Someone’s found the formatting options...

It’s really quite simple. It’s worth that much because people are willing to pay that much.
Perhaps also to have less risk of eating Mac sales. Perhaps because when you make the best of a certain product you can charge a large premium even if the material and production cost doesn’t justify it. Because you can charge $400 for wheels and $1000 fora monitor stand.

Supply and demand, and if the demand is there at that price point, it doesn’t really matter if the product is “worth it” per se. It is proven that to some people it is worth it, since they’ll pay that much. - And frankly, the last keyboard cover was in my opinion not worth it’s asking price either. The price was a lot lower, but the value of the product was also substantially less, and I’d rather pay $350 for the Magic than the money I did pay for the Folio. It was overpriced, and even then I’m still happy I got it honestly.

If you don’t want to pay the hefty, and indeed too hefty, price, buy one of the competing offerings and vote with your wallet.

I don’t like high prices either, but if people wanted to pay you $50 to say hello to them, wouldn’t you take that? Overpriced “hello” but if people are ready to pay the price, it’d be unusual for a business not to take it
[automerge]1590626435[/automerge]
Addendum to my previous post. - Personally, I probably would’ve bought the Magic Keyboard even though I agree it’s overpriced, and in that sense, I’m part of the problem. But I already have the folio and I’m not going to buy another keyboard for my iPad for the improvements it brings even though I do think they’re significant.

That said, you don’t sound satisfied with your purchase, so I would urge you to return it.

azt33

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Switzerland
When in doubt, return it. That's my philosophy at least :)

If you already have a keyboard for your iPad, I would say return it. You do not appear to "need" it, so why keep it and spend money on something you don't need?

Tulipo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I personally love it. Transformed the ipad experience for me for the better. I loved the ipad before the MK but now it’s just so much better. Typing is obviously improved 100x and the trackpad has been way more useful than I thought it would be. Honestly, to me it’s a MacBook replacement. I enjoy using it more than my macbook pro. It’s just more fun to use. In my experience the ipad went from being a more casual tool to a surprisingly very productive tool.

However, I totally understand that it’s not for everyone. I agree the macbook is probably better for many people, but for me I don’t think I’m going to buy another MacBook again. It’s probably iPad for me from now on. I always have my work windows based laptop if I really need it.

That being said, based on your post, I‘d return it if I were you.

Reactions: jdb8167

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
IMO, 2 themes here.

1) Product "value" of the MK - lot of ppl here love it (I don't personally own one), and will praise how it's really opened up the uses of the iPP to take another step towards making a laptop replacement.
2) It costs $300 / 350.

Whether (1) is worth (2) is very personal / subjective. Your use case for (1) will determine how much benefit and value you get it. In (2), factors like how you value your own money (and alternative uses for it), this being a "premium product" and being priced accordingly / eg. what market will bear, all come into play, and change people's perspectives on whether makes sense to buy.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I still want to focus on...
giphy.gif

Others read reviews, got input from posters here, and made their decisions.

You are the best person to answer your own question, since you bought it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
This is how I'm assuming Apple did their pricing:

Smart Keyboard Folio (11") = $179
Magic Trackpad 2 = $129
Total = $308

Now, the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11" costs $300. If you want the benefits of Apple accessories, this is what you would pay separately for 2 products or for 1 single product that does both.

For me, this is how I justified the purchase and the sum of all its parts was a better value than other compromises for a bulkier experience. I would rather streamline it all and buy into the Magic Keyboard.

YMMV.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This is how I'm assuming Apple did their pricing:

Smart Keyboard Folio (11") = $179
Magic Trackpad 2 = $129
Total = $308

Now, the Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11" costs $300. If you want the benefits of Apple accessories, this is what you would pay separately for 2 products or for 1 single product that does both.

For me, this is how I justified the purchase and the sum of all its parts was a better value than other compromises for a bulkier experience. I would rather streamline it all and buy into the Magic Keyboard.

YMMV.

I'm not interested in getting the MK but you have a good way to evaluate the cost value.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I wouldn't call it "Sheer brilliance" - which is what I voted for - but as a combined keyboard and trackpad it's excellent.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I bought the magic keyboard for a very specific use case. When I go on trips, I very much prefer to take one device with me and occasionally I may need to check in with work and perform a few tasks. The iPad recently reached a point where I can do *almost* everything I can on my PC and I can access work applications on it that used to be only available on a regular computer. That combined with the magic keyboard pushed me over the edge to buy one.

I probably won't use it for work often though and its primary function for me is still consumption.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Apple fans are so easily triggered by anything...

Apparently Apple did some market research and saw that there was a demand for a premium (expensive) keyboard. Based on how they're sold out everywhere, I think they nailed it.

If you don't see the point or need, then just don't buy it or return it.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I have the 11-inch iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard, so I can't speak to the 12.9". The combined weight of the 11" iPad and keyboard is still pretty light. In comparison, my 15" MBP feels very heavy.

MK has given my iPad life. I used to loathe typing on the virtual keyboard. The anchored keyboard was too wide, and the floating keyboard was too small. Typing on MK sparks joy and is more pleasurable than my scissor-switch MBP.

Sure, I could have used my own keyboard and Magic Trackpad with my iPad, but that would have been an inelegant and unwieldy kluge.

NightWingz

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
It’s really quite simple. It’s worth that much because people are willing to pay that much.

Supply and demand, and if the demand is there at that price point, it doesn’t really matter if the product is “worth it” per se. It is proven that to some people it is worth it, since they’ll pay that much. - And frankly, the last keyboard cover was in my opinion not worth it’s asking price either. The price was a lot lower, but the value of the product was also substantially less, and I’d rather pay $350 for the Magic than the money I did pay for the Folio. It was overpriced, and even then I’m still happy I got it honestly.

Absolutely true: Supply and Demand

It looks like Apple is still trying to fulfill the demands, considering the delivery date is 2-3 weeks on average now.

I purchased the Smart Keyboard Folio and felt it was overpriced as well. Similarly, I am happy I got it.

Will I buy it all over again?
Hell yes.

Am I part of the problem Apple is overcharging?
Yes - but no one else does it better.

Did I just purchased a Magic Keyboard?
Yes - and I paid extra $80 to a third party retailer for express service because I can’t wait to get it in my hands. At least during this honey moon period with it now, it is still worth it to me.
[automerge]1591355106[/automerge]
IMO, 2 themes here.

1) Product "value" of the MK - lot of ppl here love it (I don't personally own one), and will praise how it's really opened up the uses of the iPP to take another step towards making a laptop replacement.
2) It costs $300 / 350.

Whether (1) is worth (2) is very personal / subjective. Your use case for (1) will determine how much benefit and value you get it. In (2), factors like how you value your own money (and alternative uses for it), this being a "premium product" and being priced accordingly / eg. what market will bear, all come into play, and change people's perspectives on whether makes sense to buy.

Someone has the right idea.

1. Cost is what you pay.
  2. Value is what you get.

Reactions: ejin222

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
To me it’s worth it as i use it every single day and get the use out of it for work and at home. Unless you use your iPad purely on this for at least 90% of the time then maybe it’s not worth the price.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I think I’d like one if I had an iPad Pro, but I do think it’s overpriced. That said, I’d find it easier to stump up the cash for a keyboard with trackpad than I would the cash for a Pro.

B1llyG

macrumors member
May 24, 2020
Keen to know what OP decided.

Personally, I returned the MK as I felt it turned the IPP from a great versatile tablet in to a poor laptop.

I don’t see the use case for purchasing this setup. It’s fine for casual ad-hoc use, but in my view too expensive.

For ”professional”, “serious” or “power” use (or whatever term you fancy to define intense usage), its ergonomics are too cramped, non-productive (maybe exempting drawing). This applies to both the small screen as well as the small keyboard. Then there is the immature iPadOS apps that limit productiveness. Yes, you can work just fine on my IPP SKF (or MK) but can get more done in less time on a proper laptop/desktop (be it Mac or something else).

Also, there are quality/durability concerns with both the MK (and the SFK), giving people concern to actually use the MK and/or necessitating buying another cover for their MK/SFK cover. In my view another area where Apple dropped the ball on designing the MK (and to a lesser extend the SFK). An add-on designed to get more usage out of your IPP that isn’t durable.

All in all, for me the MK is not worth it at the current cost / price point of Apple. I will definitely re-evaluate my position when lower cost alternatives arrive (e.g. waiting for the Logitech offering).

However, others are very happy with the MK! Assuming the delivery times are not a scarcity tactic to drive desirability (sales), there is actually a very high demand. I sincerely hope everyone enjoy their chosen setup!

FireFish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
When in doubt, return it. That's my philosophy at least :)

If you already have a keyboard for your iPad, I would say return it. You do not appear to "need" it, so why keep it and spend money on something you don't need?
I did return it, but then like all addicts I re-bought it.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I did return it, but then like all addicts I re-bought it.
So then you are saying it was worth the cost?

I don't have the 12.9" iPad, but I do have the 11" and for me after using almost 2 months it was well worth the cost. I am finding I am using my iPad more and more and I even haven't gone back to work yet. I used my iPad a lot at work, using the pencil and PDF checklists, but when I needed to do a lot of typing work I also had my MacBook handy. Now I will be easily be able to do it all on just the iPad. So yes, it was worth it.

When you want to consider is something is worth it to you or not, also consider this:

Is the iPad Pro worth the 1000 you paid for it, you could have gotten the regular iPad for $329
Is a Mercedes Benz worth the $30K or $50K worth it when you can get a Chevy Cruze for about $18K. They both will get you to the same place.

The value of something is different for everyone. I may not like having paid what I paid for this keyboard - even with the Corp Discount I got, but the for me the value of it was worth every penny.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I’d buy it. Seems to me the best option out there and I can’t really defend the pricing of the compatible iPad either anyway. That being said, a cardboard iPad holder and a Bluetooth keyboard that you’ve got lying around could also do the trick for $0, so it’s a tricky situation for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.