Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I just checked the Canon USA website and...

a710is_586x225.jpg

PowerShot A710 IS

Steady Shooting All Through the Zoom Range

The elegant A710 IS is fully equipped to help busy families capture and hold onto special memories. You'll get up on the stage and down on the field with a powerful 6x optical zoom, and Canon's Image Stabilizer Technology will keep your images clear and sharp at every point in the zoom - even in low light. Excellent 7.1 megapixel resolution, easy high-tech operability and a load of creative shooting modes will keep the fun - and great images - coming.

Canon's first A Series digital camera with proprietary Image Stabilizer Technology for steady shooting at all zoom settings
7.1 Megapixel resolution with a powerful Canon 6x Optical Zoom in an elegant dark metallic body for those must have family moments
Large 2.5-inch LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for easier on-camera viewing and optical viewfinder
A full-featured camera with 20 shooting modes, 9-point AiAF, ISO 800 and High ISO Auto to reduce image blur and expand low-light shooting capability
DIGIC II Image Processor and iSAPS Technology for superior image quality, fast operation and low power consumption
Fast Frame Rate Movie Mode for shooting high quality movies with sound up to 60 fps QVGA (320x240) or 30 fps VGA (640x480)
Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with Canon CP and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers

a640_586x225.jpg

PowerShot A640

Topping the Competition in All Respects

Canon's popular A Series cameras have always stood out from the competition, but PowerShot A640 takes that concept to a whole new level. Experience breathtaking 10.0 megapixel resolution-a first for an A-Series camera - and the power of a 4x optical zoom lens. You'll have more fun shooting, and make your finished images even more rewarding, with the camera's exciting array of easy-to-use, high-performance features including 21 shooting modes and ISO800/High ISO Auto settings for much greater ability to shoot in low light.

Canon's first A Series digital camera with 10.0 Megapixel resolution and 4x Optical Zoom lens
Large 2.5 inch Vari-Angle LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for easier on-camera viewing and optical viewfinder
A high-performance camera with 21 shooting modes, 9-point AiAF, ISO 800 and High ISO Auto to reduce image blur and expand low-light shooting capability
DIGIC II Image Processor and iSAPS Technology for superior image quality, fast operation and low power consumption
Movie Mode recording with sound at 30 fps VGA (640x480)
Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with Canon CP and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers

a630_586x225.jpg

PowerShot A630

High-end Features...Highly Affordable

PowerShot A630 not only boasts show-stopping 8.0 megapixel resolution, but is packed with a full range of high-performance features previously found only on Canon's higher-end cameras. The result is an affordable camera that produces truly superior photography. The high resolution is complemented by a 4x optical zoom that brings the world up close, and you'll see it all clearly on the big, bright 2.5-inch Vari-Angle LCD monitor. The 21 shooting modes make photography easy, fun and creative, and are joined by great functionality like expanded ISO settings that let you shoot in low light without blur.

Affordable digital camera with 8.0 Megapixel resolution and powerful Canon 4x Optical Zoom
Large 2.5 inch Vari-Angle LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for easier on-camera viewing and optical viewfinder
A high-performance camera with 21 shooting modes, 9-point AiAF, ISO 800 and High ISO Auto to reduce image blur and expand low-light shooting capability
Movie Mode recording with sound at 30 fps VGA (640x480)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
6x optical zoom in the A710 IS is good, but why why why can't it start at 28mm? It seems 99% of the point-and-shoot models begin their focal lengths at 35 or 36. What's up with that?

I can understand if the ratio were 75% to 25%, but 99% to 1%???

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
cookie1105 said:
Powershot A640 - 10MP in a Point and shoot.:eek:

Scary indeed; some other new releases are pumped up to 10MP. Anyone seen a review yet of a camera with this sensor (a Sony?)?

I'm happy they released these updates, but I still wish there was a "S90IS", 28-100mm zoom with image stabilization. That I would buy.

As it stands, I'm torn between the swivel-screened A630, and the "IS'ed", long-lensed A710. And, I like the blackness of the A640, too. :cool:

The 710 has 7.1MP; I wonder if it inherited the 620's sensor? Probably not...

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Bugger.

I thought we had finally seen the end of the MP wars... I'd rather see a cleaner image, and better high ISO performance...

So it goes.

Of course, I *am* happy that you can now pick up a 620 for about 220 bucks, shipped. I was going to get a 610, but those have only dropped to 210, shipped. For 10 bucks, I'll take the extra features. Don't care about the MP count, but the remote capture is fun to play with from time to time...

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I disagree about the ugly design. I think they all look just fine.
Perhaps it's because I have, and like a lot, the similar A95.
I thought the A620 was ugly, though, due to the darker color of the plastic.

Bali Cockfight

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2002
Chi Town
mkaake said:
Bugger.

I thought we had finally seen the end of the MP wars... I'd rather see a cleaner image, and better high ISO performance...

Amen. I would love a camera that takes a solid picture in low light conditions. Although I never owned the a620, I read and heard it did take good pictures in low light conditions. My only hope the a640 does the same. I would to pick one up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.