Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
As I read in this forum mixed reviews and questions about the new iPad Pro, I thought I’d put in my 2 cents and write a quick positive review based on my experience with it for the last two weeks of apprehensively buying this amazing piece of machinery.

I’ve been a long time iPad user, and upgraded to the iPad Pro 10.5 last year, and was probably my most used iPad I’ve owned. I mainly used it for day to day business tasks during work. Taking it to meetings, writing emails, surfing the internet and consuming media while traveling on long train rides or trips on planes. For all of which I described the device was perfect. The keyboard case worked great and although the keyboard was slightly tight, I got used to it, and was pretty efficient typing for long periods of time.
However, for creative work, I tended to shy away from it. At first it was software related, where tools weren’t quite as good as their desktop equivelant. Being a photographer, I bought the Apple Pencil to use for editing photos, but because of the limitation in software and access to the files system and other workflow limitations, I did not use the iPad Pro as my photography editing device very often.
Although I enjoyed the portability and handling of the 10.5, I think in the end I found the screen to be limiting when doing creative work on it. Sure it was possible, and there are people doing it all of the time, but I didn’t flock to it, and it wasn’t in my comfort zone.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago; Apple announces the new iPad Pros. I deliberated on purchasing this new device, but really hesitated based on price and lack of major software changes and upgrades. So I dismissed it.
Then I was at a client site one day, and one of my colleagues, had his new 12.9 inch iPad Pros, and so I picked it up and that was it. I was hooked. It felt so nice in the hands and didn’t feel as ginormous as the older 12.9. It was like a nice happy medium between the old 12.9 and the 10.5. But most importantly it was nice and thin. The weight was also a lot better. I really liked how it fit in the hands, and I could really see myself using this device for creative work, so I went down to the Apple Store that day and picked myself up a 12.9” iPad Pro in Space Gray with 256GB, the Smart Keyboard Case and the new Pencil.

It is true. This is the best iPad that Apple has released. The hardware design is unmatched and if you pick it up, you want it. It’s so thin!!
I immediately incorporated it as my main machine, and began doing as much as I could with it.
First thing I noticed is how much nicer it was having the screen real estate! But still retaining a compact footprint, and ergonomic. So balanced and thin!
So I tested out Lightroom CC, Affinity Photo, and even explored video editing with LunaFusion and I’m happy to report that working in those apps was really refreshing. I really enjoyed the more tactile approach to content creation it ran on the iPad Pro with no issue. And this thing is FAST!

I also started writing my notes instead of typing them, and I’ve really enjoyed it. The new pencil has a precision, that really makes using it a satisfying experience.
The Smart Keyboard is great when you’re typing for long periods of time, and it even makes the iPad Pro a lap friendly device. My only complaint is that it adds a significant amount of added weight and sort of kills the experience of when you hold it bare and without any accessories. But I usually just snap the keyboard off when I’m not using it and hold the iPad Pro bareback.

It is true that iOS is the one thing holding the device back, however I have a feeling that this is a precursor to a major release of iOS next year or even a iOS MacOS hybrid, allowing you to run the iPad like a desktop system and actually gaining access to the file system and being able to organize it. But until then, this is not a replacement for your laptop. Although for some it maybe for very specific tasks.

I think if you are a creative, this IS the machine to get. The screen is superb, the pencil is awesome and the software platform and apps platform is sound. It’s really amazing how you can make music, edit audio, ingest and edit video, edit photos, as well, as illustrate, draw, and all this other stuff you can do in the creative world.

And for those worried about if the iPad Pro bends, I’m sure the answer is yes. But who wants to intentially bend their iPad Pro. That’s crazy to me.

So my final thought is WOW. This is an amazing machine, and every day I work with it, I like it more and more, which is really rare for me.
So if you are remotely interested in the new iPad Pro 2018, just get it. I got the 12.9 and certainly recommend that to creative professionals, however I really like the 11 inch as well and is also more than capable.

Hope this helps any users on the fence. I say get it. Yes it’s expensive, but I think it’s worth it.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
As I read in this forum mixed reviews and questions about the new iPad Pro, I thought I’d put in my 2 cents and write a quick positive review based on my experience with it for the last two weeks of apprehensively buying this amazing piece of machinery.

I’ve been a long time iPad user, and upgraded to the iPad Pro 10.5 last year, and was probably my most used iPad I’ve owned. I mainly used it for day to day business tasks during work. Taking it to meetings, writing emails, surfing the internet and consuming media while traveling on long train rides or trips on planes. For all of which I described the device was perfect. The keyboard case worked great and although the keyboard was slightly tight, I got used to it, and was pretty efficient typing for long periods of time.
However, for creative work, I tended to shy away from it. At first it was software related, where tools weren’t quite as good as their desktop equivelant. Being a photographer, I bought the Apple Pencil to use for editing photos, but because of the limitation in software and access to the files system and other workflow limitations, I did not use the iPad Pro as my photography editing device very often.
Although I enjoyed the portability and handling of the 10.5, I think in the end I found the screen to be limiting when doing creative work on it. Sure it was possible, and there are people doing it all of the time, but I didn’t flock to it, and it wasn’t in my comfort zone.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago; Apple announces the new iPad Pros. I deliberated on purchasing this new device, but really hesitated based on price and lack of major software changes and upgrades. So I dismissed it.
Then I was at a client site one day, and one of my colleagues, had his new 12.9 inch iPad Pros, and so I picked it up and that was it. I was hooked. It felt so nice in the hands and didn’t feel as ginormous as the older 12.9. It was like a nice happy medium between the old 12.9 and the 10.5. But most importantly it was nice and thin. The weight was also a lot better. I really liked how it fit in the hands, and I could really see myself using this device for creative work, so I went down to the Apple Store that day and picked myself up a 12.9” iPad Pro in Space Gray with 256GB, the Smart Keyboard Case and the new Pencil.

It is true. This is the best iPad that Apple has released. The hardware design is unmatched and if you pick it up, you want it. It’s so thin!!
I immediately incorporated it as my main machine, and began doing as much as I could with it.
First thing I noticed is how much nicer it was having the screen real estate! But still retaining a compact footprint, and ergonomic. So balanced and thin!
So I tested out Lightroom CC, Affinity Photo, and even explored video editing with LunaFusion and I’m happy to report that working in those apps was really refreshing. I really enjoyed the more tactile approach to content creation it ran on the iPad Pro with no issue. And this thing is FAST!

I also started writing my notes instead of typing them, and I’ve really enjoyed it. The new pencil has a precision, that really makes using it a satisfying experience.
The Smart Keyboard is great when you’re typing for long periods of time, and it even makes the iPad Pro a lap friendly device. My only complaint is that it adds a significant amount of added weight and sort of kills the experience of when you hold it bare and without any accessories. But I usually just snap the keyboard off when I’m not using it and hold the iPad Pro bareback.

It is true that iOS is the one thing holding the device back, however I have a feeling that this is a precursor to a major release of iOS next year or even a iOS MacOS hybrid, allowing you to run the iPad like a desktop system and actually gaining access to the file system and being able to organize it. But until then, this is not a replacement for your laptop. Although for some it maybe for very specific tasks.

I think if you are a creative, this IS the machine to get. The screen is superb, the pencil is awesome and the software platform and apps platform is sound. It’s really amazing how you can make music, edit audio, ingest and edit video, edit photos, as well, as illustrate, draw, and all this other stuff you can do in the creative world.

And for those worried about if the iPad Pro bends, I’m sure the answer is yes. But who wants to intentially bend their iPad Pro. That’s crazy to me.

So my final thought is WOW. This is an amazing machine, and every day I work with it, I like it more and more, which is really rare for me.
So if you are remotely interested in the new iPad Pro 2018, just get it. I got the 12.9 and certainly recommend that to creative professionals, however I really like the 11 inch as well and is also more than capable.

Hope this helps any users on the fence. I say get it. Yes it’s expensive, but I think it’s worth it.
Pretty good mini speech if I’ve ever seen one.

Reactions: BoneHead001

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Loving my 12.9 as well. Perfect size for what i need home and at work, LTE model as well with the smarter keyboard. Makes my max get more usage on the sofa for example

profH

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2017
Pasadena, CA
Wish there was a case where the keyboard snapped on and off entirely like the surface; device feels very nice in the smart folio/no keyboard case most of the time and I feel uncomfortable using it "naked." Otherwise mostly agree with all this.

syrcular

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2013
Wish there was a case where the keyboard snapped on and off entirely like the surface; device feels very nice in the smart folio/no keyboard case most of the time and I feel uncomfortable using it "naked." Otherwise mostly agree with all this.

I decided to pick up one of those dBrand skins, to protect the back of the iPad while not impacting it’s weight anymore. I like how it feels in the hand without a case, and the skin will give it a bit of a grip while also protecting it. Just an idea.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
You can get a new 2017 ipad pro 12.9 for $739, 256gb storage, unlocked cellular, and you don’t have to buy a new pencil or keyboard (if you have them). It’s a slight bit heavier, has larger bezels, but is still an amazing machine, and it does all the things the new gen 3 will do. Maybe at some point the speed of gen 3 will be an advantage, but as far as I can see, not yet.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I am happy that Apple didn't put the notch into this new iPad that the reason I bought it hope they do the same for the new iPhone 2019

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I am happy that Apple didn't put the notch into this new iPad that the reason I bought it hope they do the same for the new iPhone 2019

The iPad is a lot bigger, so the slim bezels all around can hide the cameras. The same size bezels all around the iPhone would look ridonkulous. So until Apple is able to put the cameras beneath the screen, i’d Get used to the notch. Cause it’s gonna be here for awhile.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Being a photographer, I bought the Apple Pencil to use for editing photos, but because of the limitation in software and access to the files system and other workflow limitations, I did not use the iPad Pro as my photography editing device very often.
Um, these limitations are unchanged, but whatever...

Pencil performance is unchanged, but whatever...

I got the 12.9 and certainly recommend that to creative professionals, however I really like the 11 inch as well and is also more than capable.
Most of your post has been about how importance of the larger screen is, but whatever...

Last edited:
Reactions: cardfan

RogerKmilw

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
Um, these limitations are unchanged, but whatever...

Pencil performance is unchanged, but whatever...

Most of your post has been about how importance of the larger screen is, but whatever...

Bitter much, but whatever...
[doublepost=1543535873][/doublepost]

What he said

Reactions: anthonymoody

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
You can get a new 2017 ipad pro 12.9 for $739, 256gb storage, unlocked cellular, and you don’t have to buy a new pencil or keyboard (if you have them). It’s a slight bit heavier, has larger bezels, but is still an amazing machine, and it does all the things the new gen 3 will do. Maybe at some point the speed of gen 3 will be an advantage, but as far as I can see, not yet.

The 2017 IPP 12.9 is even lighter than the new one if you use it with a Smart Case/Folio which I do most of the time! The biggest improvements were introduces with the 2017 version as the wide gamut P3 display, True Tone and ProMotion (120Hz refresh, which is a killer feature!).

Apart from the smaller bezels I don't see any real improvements with the new version. FaceTime did not work if you do not look strait to the device (e.g. laying flat on a table or in bed), the USB-C port is of limited use and makes big problems using the WLAN if something is transferred over it, and the processing power is useless with the recent IOS and the lack of pro apps (somebody said it's like driving a Porsche in a pedestrian zone).

So the 2017 IPP was the best deal for me too. It cost me less than half of the 2018 IPP and I don't have to worry about bending it or something like that. If a new IOS or better a PadOS arrives in 2019/2020 there will be also a new IPP. If this iPad brings some real improvements (like MicroLEDs for example) and if I can use it with the pro orientated OS I will step in again....

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I agree with everything you have said about the new iPad Pro. I have enjoyed a 12.9” ever since they first came out, but the new 2018 model is so much better in its smaller overall size, Face ID, pencil and improved battery life (the screen and performance were already amazing).

The only thing I don’t like so much is the keyboard cover cannot be folded up to make stand behind to view videos. I now need a separate folio case to do that.

Reactions: Momof9

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
I love the ipad but I will be returning it until the iPhone has USB C and we get OLED
So you love the iPad, but feel the need to return it because you need to carry one extra charger? The iPhone may not even get USB-C next year.

And the OLED on iPad, you can probably wait forever for that.

The nonsense of this forum sometimes...

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I hadn't planned on getting it. I was actually looking at the new MBA, but was turned off by the single USB-C port. And then I saw it. As soon as I saw that it fit under a piece of paper, I was hooked. The original Pro just looked HUGE. One of my colleagues has one, and it still looks HUGE. But mine does not. It looks just right.

It is a piece of art. It is the total aesthetic package.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
My favourite bit is the incredibly fast recharge via usb c , so much quicker than the old lightning port

The battery seems to last ages too

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
So you love the iPad, but feel the need to return it because you need to carry one extra charger? The iPhone may not even get USB-C next year.

And the OLED on iPad, you can probably wait forever for that.

The nonsense of this forum sometimes...
AGREED! It is really only an additional charging cable - the same charging brick can be used - although personally I hardly ever use cable with iPhone now anyway - nearly always charge with Qi-charger.

For OLED, I find that no great advantage on iPhone, and find the Pro motion on iPad to be far more important feature

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.