Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy x2 thicker iPhone if it includes all of the features Below?

• Yes, but only if it'll cost the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iTosaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
Why is there a problem to release the perfect iPhone?
Just make it with 4" display or with a bigger option and twice the thickness, so it could fit 4 times the battery life, 256GB, Much better camera with optical image stabilization, water proof, wireless charging and drop proof (Like Droid Turbo 2 screen) phone.
Then me and probably many others will pay whatever price they'll ask for it.
A perfect iPhone.

All the "Make it thinner" trend is useless.
People were as happy with much thicker phones in the past and adding a case makes them bigger anyways.

What do you think?

Btw, i agree with everyone that "Perfect" i subjective and for everyone "Perfect" means different things.
My point is that there are many improvements that left out of the final design because of the thickness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets737

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The battery on my 6s Plus easily lasts me all day and I charge it every night, so a longer battery life would be pointless for me.

Also, if it were twice as thick, it would make the bigger phones like the 6s Plus much more unwieldy - I'm firmly in the No camp on this one

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just make it with 4" display or with a bigger option and twice the thickness, so it could fit 4 times the battery life, 256GB, Much better camera with optical image stabilization, water proof, wireless charging and drop proof (Like Droid Turbo 2 screen) phone.
A perfect iPhone.

People were as happy with much thicker phones in the past and adding a case makes them bigger anyways.

What do you think?

Not sure that these items would make the iPhone "perfect".

I agree that the thinness thing has become an unmanageable obsession.

However spec-ing the "best" device is subjective... I cannot imagine trying to get all the way to "perfect" for any product. Many millions of users... with many millions of feature requests.

Reactions: kch50428

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Not sure that these items would make the iPhone "perfect".

I agree that the thinness thing has become an unmanageable obsession.

However spec-ing the "best" device is subjective... I cannot imagine trying to get all the way to "perfect" for any product. Many millions of users... with many millions of feature requests.
That's true that perfect means different things to different people but I feel like we can all agree the majority of people are willing to give up a little thinness for a better battery life!

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
That's true that perfect means different things to different people but I feel like we can all agree the majority of people are willing to give up a little thinness for a better battery life!

Just better battery life? That's far from perfection on anyone's list. And that is way off the mark for the subject of this thread.

I've had my 6S Plus since launch day... and I can only remember charging it one time during the day since I've had it. I'd be hard pressed to even desire better battery life. Mine is awesome (and I have the Samsung chip, FWIW).

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Just better battery life? That's far from perfection on anyone's list. And that is way off the mark for the subject of this thread.

I've had my 6S Plus since launch day... and I can only remember charging it one time during the day since I've had it. I'd be hard pressed to even desire better battery life. Mine is awesome (and I have the Samsung chip, FWIW).
I think what I'm trying to say is most of us agree that better battery life is the right direction to a "perfect" iPhone!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A perfect iPhone.

What do you think?

Btw, i agree with everyone that "Perfect" i subjective and for everyone "Perfect" means different things.
My point is that there are many improvements that left out of the final design because of the thickness.
If they increase the thickness then they can get rid of the fugly camera bump and make it flush like it should have been to begin with.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
Double thickness I wouldn't do it, as that's thicker than the original iPhone (which looks bulky now). I wouldn't go thicker than the iPhone 4 at this point.

But I WOULD appreciate a thicker phone. Like eyoungren said, enough thickness to cover the camera bump would be much preferred.

iTosaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
If they increase the thickness then they can get rid of the fugly camera bump and make it flush like it should have been to begin with.
Exactly, but not only that.
The "Less mm" trend is what cripples all the new phones.
The cameras don't fit, shorter than desired battery life and list goes on...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Exactly, but not only that.
The "Less mm" trend is what cripples all the new phones.
The cameras don't fit, shorter than desired battery life and list goes on...
I'm not going to argue on that as I'm not necessarily in your camp regarding size or thinness. But I do think it's too thin when it can't fully enclose the camera.

AintDutchNotMuch

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2015
The Netherlands
For me personally I really like thin phones. There's just something about holding a thin phone (without a case) made out of premium materials in your hands and nonchalantly sliding it in and out of your pocket. To me the battery in the iPhone 6 that I had was good enough to last me 48 hours of standby time and around 4 to 5 hours of on-screen time. More than enough for me. I absolutely dislike (blocky) thick phones that are more than, let's say, 8.5 mm thick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.