Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Many of us find ourselves looking to build a portfolio, for whatever reason.

Let's make this THE thread for information about:

1) How do I aquire photos for my portfolio?

2) What are the differences, how do I attend to, and why shoud I have a physical portfolio & an online one?

3) How do I construct a physical portfolio? Cases? Layout? Photo materials?

4) How do I get my portfolio seen and get the most out of it?

5) What are the legalities & paperwork required for photos in my folio (and their use outside of it)?

Feel free to post links to your online portfolios (whether or not you call them that, or just a website. HEY, there's a topic!)

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I'm basing my answers off of my previous experience, that being submitting my portfolio for grad school applications. I done this both for photography and for creative writing. Creative writing is a little different... if anyone wants to know the procedure, send me a PM.

1) How do I aquire photos for my portfolio?

Em... I'd suggest photographing them. :) Pick about 20 showing a range but also your primary focus.

2) What are the differences, how do I attend to, and why shoud I have a physical portfolio & an online one?

A physical one is great for seeing it visually, on a table. Kind of like reading a novel vs. reading text online. With the print, you have final control on color output.

The online one is nice for a link to send to people who you might not be able to get a physical one to (and is cost-effective).

I also submitted a cd portfolio, containing the digital versions of the prints.

I used high-gloss photo paper for my prints. Most prints were around 5"x7" and printed them in the center of an 8.5"x11" sheet and placed it in a sheet holder. In the next sheet holder, I included photo details including place and date, title, and a quick summary of the photo. The case was a transparent 1" binder.

Show it to anyone and everyone that is interested in your photography. I've received contacts through people who were interested in seeing my stuff, then referred a friend to me.

5) What are the legalities & paperwork required for photos in my folio (and their use outside of it)?

If it's a person you don't know, get a signed agreement that you can use these photos in whichever manner you intend to use them in. I have actually never done it, but I've also been on a friendly manner with nearly everyone I shot. Only once have I encountered a situation where I was told to delete photos I'd taken, and since I had no signed release form from her, I did it. I probably was within my right to keep them, but they weren't that good and it didn't feel like the hassle.

Last edited:

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
mlrproducts said:
Haha, I was JUST looking at your sites before you posted that. Great work.

Can I ask how you determined what would be on that "showcase" site vs. what would only be on DA?

They're either some of my favorites, or pieces that were suggested to be put up there. I'll be putting more on my site, 10 at a time.

edit: oh, and thanks. :)

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
1. Take pictures. Specifically of what you are interested in plus a bit of variety. Ex. If you like potraits, do mostly portraits, but include some candids, events, and one or two landscape or cityscapes.

2. To me photos look much better in print. An online portfolio is to give people an idea of your pictures so that they want to arrange a time to meet and view your print portfolio.

3. I use an 11"x14" print book with full, 11"x14" photos. I don't mention any technical detail about the photo unless somebody asks me. Photography is the photo and image, not the gear. I use a printing lab and use Kodak metallic paper.

4. Business cards. Hand them out with your website and online portfolio. Then you will get calls for people to meet with you.

5. Model release forms for shots where there are recognizable faces. Watch out for trademarked, registered, or copyrighted material (I.E. logos, etc.).

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
beavo451 said:
. To me photos look much better in print. An online portfolio is to give people an idea of your pictures so that they want to arrange a time to meet and view your print portfolio.

Perhaps it would be a good idea then to specify in some way that our online site was a limited selection of our portfolio photos.

From what I've seen, most other photogs have MORE photos online then in their book. If you're primarily shooting for high-end jobs where it is DEFINATE that your physical portfolio is of highest importance, perhaps the limited online prescence is the way to go.

I am currently re-designing my site. What I've decided to do (prior to this thread) is actual have PDFs of my portfolio pages on the website. Not the whole portfolio, but a few pages as a teaser.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
It is nice to have hard copies of your photos to hold in your hand, but it's really expensive as well.. I mean, I've got 400+ portfolio worthy photos (in my opinion, at least)... that would take a lot of ink..
For my portfolio for SCAD, I sent it all in on a CD, and it was enough to get their top scholarship! Haha.

But I guess going out for a job is different..

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
mlrproducts said:
They're both essential when you're trying to market yourself to potential clients. A physical portfolio is more important for schools but that may be changing.
Anyway, some magazines prefer that they have something physical to look at, often times you don't get as much detail off a website. On the other hand sending links out to photo editors is a great way to get them to notice you.
It really just depends on their policy. That goes for ad agencies and other companies as well. For consumers--it helps to have both but then again you may just need an online presence.

It really depends. On a budget, you'll do good to go to your local art store and buy a portfolio and sleeves. The more professional the portfolio the more it cost but the more it sets you apart from the competition. Presentation is everything.
You can also forgo the sleeves and go custom. There are various online sources that will actually construct a book for you or you can go to a local printers and ask them.

Depends. Some magazines have drop-off days that you can submit your stuff and pick it up later in the week. Other times a simple email with a link to your site is all you need. Cold telephone calls are also a means to get a meeting. You may want to look into sending mailers/ postcards with your information and site URL as well. If you're not sure call the offices and ask what are the submission guidlines or procedures for submitting a portfolio.

Model releases are essential. But they're for your personal files--not something you keep in a portfolio. If someone uses one of your images then you may have to submit a copy as proof. It's all about protecting your assets and having a contract that details what the intentions are of the photograph and the signature of the model is binding.

Feel free to post links to your online portfolios (whether or not you call them that, or just a website. HEY, there's a topic!)
http://definitiveworks.com

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
seenew said:
It is nice to have hard copies of your photos to hold in your hand, but it's really expensive as well.. I mean, I've got 400+ portfolio worthy photos (in my opinion, at least)... that would take a lot of ink..
For my portfolio for SCAD, I sent it all in on a CD, and it was enough to get their top scholarship! Haha.

But I guess going out for a job is different..

Select your best for your portfolio. Being able to chose what you want to show is an exercise in decisiveness. Also, you can swap photos in and out of your print portfolio.

I use a professional lab for my printing. It usually is cheaper and of better quality than from a home photo printer.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
beavo451 said:
Select your best for your portfolio. Being able to chose what you want to show is an exercise in decisiveness. Also, you can swap photos in and out of your print portfolio.

I use a professional lab for my printing. It usually is cheaper and of better quality than from a home photo printer.

I don't print from home, either. My father is part of a graphics firm, which has in-house printing. I still have to pay, and it's not as much as a normal customer, but it's still not cheap. The prints come out pristine, though.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
seenew said:
I don't print from home, either. My father is part of a graphics firm, which has in-house printing. I still have to pay, and it's not as much as a normal customer, but it's still not cheap. The prints come out pristine, though.

How much do you pay?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.