Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
largelatifphoto.jpg

Story: http://www.irrawaddy.org/highlight.php?art_id=11320

What a picture.

(Taken with:
Canon 5D
ISO: 800
f: 7.1
Shutter: 1/1000)

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Not sure what to say, on one hand you have a powerful photo that got international attention and caused government(s) to change policy, and on the other you have a life lost and families affected. One of those, it is an honor to receive the award and yet you recieve it for moments like this.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I guess I know why I'm not on the committee that nominates or votes on these pictures - I've seen a lot more powerful and better pictures than that one.

Not knocking the story, but that picture really doesn't tell the story, IMO.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'm going to have to see a 100% crop before I make any judgement... just kidding.

Seriously though, the fact that the guy died makes this a little messed up in my mind.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
century0258.jpeg

(The 1969 Pulitzer Prize winning photo, 'General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a Viet Cong prisoner in Saigon', by Eddie Adams)

Some of the best photos ever, that depict "messed-up stuff" can actually, in their messed-upedness drastically alter public opinion, a war, the outright course of history. Read the rest of the story of this year's photo:

"Mourners at Nagai’s funeral in Japan clutched the picture, which played a role in the public outrage that prompted Tokyo to scale back aid to the ruling military junta.”

Believe me, that photo is very scary, and messed-up (as is this one). But it helps people come closer to comprehending a situation that is, for people halfway around the world, beyond comprehension. It's not too much of a coincidence that the American troop withdrawal accellerated in the years after this photo was taken. (Obviously, a gagillion other factors).

Draddy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
century0258.jpeg

(The 1969 Pulitzer Prize winning photo, 'General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a Viet Cong prisoner in Saigon', by Eddie Adams)

Some of the best photos ever, that depict "messed-up stuff" can actually, in their messed-upedness drastically alter public opinion, a war, the outright course of history. Read the rest of the story of this year's photo:

"Mourners at Nagai’s funeral in Japan clutched the picture, which played a role in the public outrage that prompted Tokyo to scale back aid to the ruling military junta.”

Believe me, that photo is very scary, and messed-up (as is this one). But it helps people come closer to comprehending a situation that is, for people halfway around the world, beyond comprehension. It's not too much of a coincidence that the American troop withdrawal accellerated in the years after this photo was taken. (Obviously, a gagillion other factors).
that is very interesting.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR

So what camera took this one? I want to see if I can have some bragging rights now ;)

I'm not a fan of these types of photos, I understand their intent and it's honorable, but still I don't like them. I'm an EMT and I've seen some graphic stuff, photos and the real thing, but for some reason knowing that someone won an award for capturing an image of another persons death doesn't sit right with me.

SLC

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Every Picture Tells a Story

This was covered in depth in one of my journalism classes in college (note: IANAJ).

Leaving the obvious emotional reaction out of it for a moment, the back story was that the executed prisoner, Nguyen Lem, was the head of an assassination squad -- sympathetic to the Viet Cong -- that was assigned to murder the families of South Vietnamese "police officers" (military officers), including families of officers close to Loan.

Also, as it turns out, Lem (the prisoner being executed in the photo) was not actually a member of the military. At best he was a hitman, today we would probably call him either a terrorist or war criminal. So, despite being a horrific and barbaric act, on a *technicality* at least it was misreported that this was a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Further muddying the waters, Eddie Adams later regretted the damage his photo did to Loan, saying it represented only "half the truth" or some such (and in Time magazine IIRC) and that he felt his Pulitzer unfairly convicted Loan in the court of world opinion, without a fair trial.

Ironically, Loan escaped during the fall of Vietnam and lived a "normal life" (whatever that means) for many years in Virginia until someone figured out who he was in his past life.

BTW, the other famous Pulitzer prize winning photo from the Vietnam War was the one with the naked girl running from a napalm attack. What was missing from that story was the fact that, at that moment, her back was covered with napalm burns. She was naked because she had removed her burning clothes.

As my Journalism prof. admonished us, every picture tells a story but its up to the journalist to make sure the whole story is told.

Some of the best photos ever, that depict "messed-up stuff" can actually, in their messed-upedness drastically alter public opinion, a war, the outright course of history.
QFT.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
So what camera took this one? I want to see if I can have some bragging rights now ;)

I'm not a fan of these types of photos, I understand their intent and it's honorable, but still I don't like them. I'm an EMT and I've seen some graphic stuff, photos and the real thing, but for some reason knowing that someone won an award for capturing an image of another persons death doesn't sit right with me.

SLC

You're not supposed to like them.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
BTW, the other famous Pulitzer prize winning photo from the Vietnam War was the one with the naked girl running from a napalm attack. What was missing from that story was the fact that, at that moment, her back was covered with napalm burns. She was naked because she had removed her burning clothes.

As my Journalism prof. admonished us, every picture tells a story but its up to the journalist to make sure the whole story is told.

QFT.

Btw, you do know that that photo has been cropped right? Why it has been cropped I haven't found out but its more horrific with out the edit. At the time I found out I had seen the photo many times and if didn't affect me like it did when I first saw it but when I saw the uncropped version its impact had hit me again, but harder as well.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
century0258.jpeg

yes, but the fact that the guy died makes this a little messed up in my mind.:confused:

for realz, people.:rolleyes:

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Have you _seen_ my signature? I own one, three year old, 200 dollar Canon camera - my first. I own a Nikon D80, a D300, and about $2500 worth of Nikon glass, all purchased within the past 6 months, and with my own money. It's a very strange way to show "brand loyalty to Canon", don't you think?

I was simply pointing out _what camera_ took the photograph, as I know that several people on this board own 5Ds - you too can take the Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph, if you think quick and are willing to take risks.

I could care less about the Nikon v. Canon arguments.

makes sense to me. we're on a photography thread after all, which is why although i thought it a little odd at first blush that the thread was straight into tech-talk about the type of camera used, it's understandable given the context of this thread/forum. i sense some manufactured outrage among some of your critics here.

this photo does not tell the story, as someone above said. the center of activity is where the crowd is; i thought it was about something happening/just happened in the gaggle of people in the upper left, and didn't even really notice the soldier until i went to the link and read the story.

great story, but the photo is far less impactful without the prose accompaniment. sort of like what passes for much of modern/postmodern art these days, where you look at a piece of crap on the wall and all the creativity went into writing the descriptive paragraphs on the card next to it.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Back on topic, I don't think this photo was worthy of a Pulitzer. It seems to be more of a "right place, right time" thing than an actual "prize winning photo" thing.

The execution photo that has been posted tells a story. It's very clear. Even without a caption it is obvious what is going on and makes you think. This photo is confusing. It's unclear what is actually happening. Without a caption you have no idea what happened. Other than a gun wielding soldier and a scared crowd, there's very little story behind it. Seems a dime a dozen to me. The only thing that makes it stand out is that the guy happened to die.

I'm unimpressed.

*edit* Vix said the same thing as me, much better, and took less time to do it. Grrrr

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
yes, but the fact that the guy died makes this a little messed up in my mind.:confused:

for realz, people.:rolleyes:
Its the Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Photography. This particular award is about journalism. It may not be Ansel Adams, but its not supposed to be. Its about capturing an important moment in time for the world to see. Unfortunately, humans being what they are, these aren't always exactly the most joyous occasions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.