Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoiledFish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
Hi everyone. I do like Steve Jobs' era of Apple so that why I still use old Macbook pro 2009, because it never let me down. But now I'm going to do some upgrade after 10 years of using my old laptop. I intend to buy mentioned in the title model. But it is so slippery way with these new macbooks so I kinda afraid of buying them. Can anyone of users of this model tell me how it is going with this macbook through 1-2 years of using? Is it a good idea of mine to be intended by this?

Thanks a lot for your response!

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
It's a good laptop. It has minor issues but the big one, the keyboard, is covered by an extended repair program. I really enjoyed my time with it. If you can afford it you should get the 2018 model though. It has a far better CPU, GPU and some nice modern Apple features like TouchID and TrueTone, and better speakers.

Reactions: BoiledFish

BoiledFish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019
It's a good laptop. It has minor issues but the big one, the keyboard, is covered by an extended repair program. I really enjoyed my time with it. If you can afford it you should get the 2018 model though. It has a far better CPU, GPU and some nice modern Apple features like TouchID and TrueTone, and better speakers.

And how big is the risk to get in touch with that keyboard issue?

anpaman

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2018
And how big is the risk to get in touch with that keyboard issue ?

My sister and me both owned MacBook Pro 2017 nTB and keyboard working fine maybe because we used keyboard cover.

It better waiting for release of MacBook Pro 2019 so you cou!d compare it with MacBook Pro 2017.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And how big is the risk to get in touch with that keyboard issue?
I'd say the risk is high enough that people filed a number of class action lawsuits, and apple felt compelled to institute a repair program. They also apologized for the keyboard failures in the 2018 model, so its clear that the keyboard is flawed. Also, consider flexgate, as a potential issue, I don't know if that's particular to the 15" or it impacts both 13" and 15" laptops.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I agree with maflynn, it's clear that it's a problem.

Flexgate jury is still out. I've even seen reports that 2017 models manufactured more recently have the problem fixed.

I don't believe the machines are any more or less reliable than the average consumer laptop on the other side of the fence either but, they do have known issues and a high price tag so the complaints are quite loud. I'd say if it's the model you truly want, go for it. Otherwise, new redesigned models will potentially be announced sometime this year - if you can wait there's never any harm in doing so.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
The question for old Macbook pro 13", 2017 NTB users.....
Let me get my cane and another shawl.....the thread is cold here, i feel a draft

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Doesn't it have problems putting out thunderbolt speeds and the internals are gimped in comparison to Touch Bar versions? Though I think you can still change out the ssd on those.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I don't have a 2017 model but have a 2016 nTB MBP. Mine is a custom config of the base CPU with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD manufactured on October 31, 2016.

So far it has been one of the best Apple laptops I've owned. I haven't had any problems with it after 2.4 years of daily use. No keyboard problems, flexgate, loose thunderbolt ports, or anything else. I have AppleCare until November this year but so far I haven't needed any service. I had more problems with my previous 2012 15-inch retina MacBook Pro (notably a failed battery out of the box and image retention).

I know I'm only one person with one anecdotal experience. Others might say my keyboard will definitely fail and flexgate will appear, just give it time. I'm still waiting.

I'm a light typer (I don't bang the keys) and have clear keyboard stickers on my keyboard so maybe those are the reasons I haven't had issues. I don't know.

But what I do know is I would buy this machine again, but if I were buying now maybe not the 2017 model. When I bought my machine I didn't want the Touch Bar and quad core was yet an option in the 13 inch. If I were to buy now, I'd buy the 2018 model to get much better CPUs and live with the Touch Bar.

There are real issues you need to be aware of, particularly the keyboard. At the same time, remember Apple sells roughly 20 million of these each year. There aren't 20 million posts here every year about issues and journalists (or their bosses/clients) love when there are problems with Apple products.

BoiledFish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2019

I have listened to your advice and bought 2018 year version. I'm so ****ing glad that I did it. I really do not want to think about probability of keyboard problems appearance. Thank you. And I got truly fast and modern machine. It was very huge step from 2009y to 2018y model. 2009 all the time was fine for me but now I do not think so.

Thank you guys for helping me to make the choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.