Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Yeah, I don't know what's up. I've toggled the little on/off switch down there by it from off to on to enabled, and nothing. This happened once before, and a friend fixed it for me, saying that someone had switched it off while in some other mode or something... :confused:

Anyway, when in (M) manual mode, it won't control the aperture anymore. In fact, I can't control the aperture in that mode at all anymore!

Please help! :(

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Still nothing. :( Thanks, though.

It's not an error, I don't think. It's some kind of setting.

Set it back to "Factory Default" - or whatever the Canon terminology is. A friend of mine had been messing with the settings on his Nikon, and had done something to screw up the focusing. He was all set to send it back for repairs, but I convinced him to reset it first. Fixed. The way to do it is somewhere in the manual, and it basically does what it says.... sets all the controls back to what they were when it was brand new.

Good luck.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Set it back to "Factory Default" - or whatever the Canon terminology is. A friend of mine had been messing with the settings on his Nikon, and had done something to screw up the focusing. He was all set to send it back for repairs, but I convinced him to reset it first. Fixed. The way to do it is somewhere in the manual, and it basically does what it says.... sets all the controls back to what they were when it was brand new.

Good luck.

Still nothing.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
FYI, after talking to a Canon rep over the phone, my camera has been diagnosed as broken. :(

7-10 days for repair, after they receive it. I don't have that kind of time to be without the camera, I've got at least four more shoots to do for my classes over the next three weeks.

So, any clever workarounds? Any ideas how I can manually adjust shutter and aperture at the same time? The reason it's so important is that I'm using three hotshoe flashes for lighting, and it's usually essential to underexpose the unlit areas by 2 to 3 stops for this series...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
You might also want to think about renting a camera while this one is out for repair. Most pro shops have a rental department, and if you happened to buy the broken camera from one, they may cut you a deal. Also, see if Canon will cover the cost of the rental. They are under no obligation to compensate you for the loss of working time, but.... it would be good customer relations to do so. Another reason for thinking about renting is that most pro shops will want to create a "relationship" with a pro photographer.... which I assume you are working towards. Give a pro shop a chance to start the relationship off right :)

Good Luck

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Thanks for the tips, guys.

So the rep was wrong, or jumped the gun. I thought it was too fast.. anyway, turns out it was something so simple I thought I had already done it. Reset all the Custom Functions. That fixed it.

:(

After I pulled out all my hair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.