Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Well, I just returned in disgust after a 3 hour long photo shoot.

After three hours of hiking through forest, swapping lenses, kneeling and stretching to get my camera in all sorts of positions, and even getting my jacket completely muddy for one shot (I was kneeling on it and the ground was really wet) - my camera kept on shooting after the 36 exposure limit! Puzzled, I carefully pried off the back, to discover that the film hadn't advanced past the first exposure!!!

Somehow, I made a small mistake when I inserted the film, and thus it slipped off of the little winding peg. This basically means that for three hours I was carefully metering my light, changing aperture and shutter speeds, swapping lenses, for NOTHING.

Gah.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I spent 7 hours in sub zero temps once, my hands were to numb to work properly and I did exactly the same as you. I was the only time I made that mistake though. It was highly annoying as there was no way I could go back and shoot stuff again.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
:eek:

When I hear your story I certainly feel less sorry for myself. I guess that I have learned one thing... Always double check your film :p.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I think every shooter has been through that.

I once knew a very nice videographer for the local news. He was fired when he left for assignment and forgot his tapes.

A good friend of mine went to a wedding without his camera :eek:

Then I myself have mis-loaded film, brought the wrong film, and had the camera back opened mid roll.

Now there is the problem of memory cards. Every time I get a new body I forget to set that one setting that prevents the shutter from releasing when there is no card inserted... :confused:

And there was the not too long ago Micro drive fiasco.... made it to the wedding with a 2GB card only to find out that it was NO GOOD.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth

When I hear your story I certainly feel less sorry for myself. I guess that I have learned one thing... Always double check your film :p.

That's a life lesson that almost always takes a blown photo op to really, really learn.

If its only happened once to you (so far), consider yourself lucky.

...and just wait until you go out on a shoot, and at what you know is only halfway, you fill the roll and go to rewind ...only to discover that it is stuck, and you have no darkroom handy.

Had this happen to me this past November.

Fortunately, the diveboat's head was belowdecks and a pretty dark small room and I had a beach towel with me, so I got into the head, turned off the light, threw the towel over myself & camera. I then opened up the camera back, pulled the film out by hand, and rolled it back into its canister, all by touch...it took probably around 2 minutes. After I got back home, I sent the film out for developing and was lucky in that I only had a couple of light leaks mess up a couple of frames.

-hh

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Something similar happened me years ago. After shooting approx 152 'photos' I thought, "wow, this film goes on FOREVER".

Optimus Rhyme

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
London, UK
While that's a shame, it's nice that it happens less to people with digital memory now that far less people use film. I've had problems in the past with film like that, but I was younger so the pictures I took didn't mean as much as they do now.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but it could have been worse!

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I had the same thing happen with my first roll of film in my Hasselblad. I didn't know how to load it properly and took a whole roll of shots for nothing. And it was especially bad knowing that I lost the shots in the fog that had already broken.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Get yourself a "real camera". One with a thumb lever film advance. You can feel the film moving through the works with your thumb on that kind of camera. I've never made that mistake on a manual camera. It's easy to make that mistake on a motor driven camera.

A "real camera" works even without the batteries installed.I suspect I'll still own my old F2 even after by DSLR has been upgraded twice.

Seriouly now, sorry to hear that.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Get yourself a "real camera". One with a thumb lever film advance. You can feel the film moving through the works with your thumb on that kind of camera. I've never made that mistake on a manual camera. It's easy to make that mistake on a motor driven camera.

A "real camera" works even without the batteries installed.I suspect I'll still own my old F2 even after by DSLR has been upgraded twice.

I have a Canon AE-1. It has a thumb lever advance... (I KNEW that the film felt light today! :mad:)

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

Good chance you will see the rewind lever moving with the film advance as well...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
A 'real' film camera will hold one sheet of film at a time!:D

Holds 2 sheets, but you only use one at a time ... :D

When I was teaching at a photo school in Vancouver we would take the students to the interior of BC every fall for a long weekend of shooting the fall colours. One year I went with my 4x5. Each evening as we sat around the fireplace, beers at hand - the students would compare notes - how many exposures each had made, etc. Their numbers were typically hundreds per day (obviously they were shooting 35mm.) Finally they would ask me - as I sat on the floor to bring the coffee table to convenient height. Up to my elbows in a changing bag. Film holders, film boxes, carefully organized so I got the exposed sheets into the correct boxes, and the unexposed film into the correct holders. "Oh", I would say "I think I got 6 or 8 good exposures today." They would laugh, of course. But I liked my stuff better than theirs!

The good old days!

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Holds 2 sheets, but you only use one at a time ... :D

True!

But, you not using it any more?

I went to a nice gallery in Park City the other day, amazing photos, but a noticeable bit of noise in his bigger prints, (said to use the cibacrome) they said all the pics were from 35mm slides. Yet the prints I've seen from 4x5" are sharp at any size. And as far as most digital...:rolleyes:

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
If you think 3 hours on a short journey is bad. I went to Japan last September and over a period of 2 days I shot 1 roll of film to carefully consider my shots only to find I hadn't put any film into the camera!

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
:eek: two days!

Well I'd better be thankful that that hasn't happened to me.. (yet)

As it is, if the weather improves I'm going to leave to retake all of my shots today!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
True!

But, you not using it any more?

I haven't lately - but hope to get back to it. Mostly, its due to lack of access to a darkroom.

I went to a nice gallery in Park City the other day, amazing photos, but a noticeable bit of noise in his bigger prints, (said to use the cibacrome) they said all the pics were from 35mm slides. Yet the prints I've seen from 4x5" are sharp at any size. And as far as most digital...:rolleyes:

Then you haven't see digital prints from truly professional and passionate photographers and printers. I live in small community that is crawling with photographers. Some who show their work internationally. The 30x40 prints from some of the digital cameras would knock your socks off. They're different than the prints from the 4x5 and 5x7 shooters - but certainly nothing to 'roll your eyes' at. :)

I personally think that 35mm colour print film is, for most purposes, supplanted by the current crop of high end digital cameras.

Black and White film is increasing its market share, as is large format. And this is "a good thing", IMHO.

If you happen to be in the Vancouver/Victoria area this summer I can send you the details of the annual show.

And, as for the original thread... any serious film shooter has a similar story. The good ones do it only once. The not-so-good ones ......

Cheers

Seth

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
:eek: two days!

Well I'd better be thankful that that hasn't happened to me.. (yet)

As it is, if the weather improves I'm going to leave to retake all of my shots today!

Look forward to seeing some pics! Sounds like you are in a neat place.

I blew a whole day shooting not realizing the ISO was set to 3200. I was in bright day light, the shutter could not go much faster:D

Hey Seth,

I'd love to visit that area some time. And thats what I've heard about prints from digital, 30x40" will be just fine. I have a customer who wants 5' + prints and is willing to pay whatever for them. He said he can get online and buy stock photos all day, and even talk the owner down to $50 for his pics. But not the case with LF. So I may have a challenge!:eek:

My only other gripe with prints from digital, is they are some times too good, and then I realized they must of photochopped them. But I guess its easy to do with film too.:rolleyes:

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
I once shot a ton of pictures of my brother's birthday - and then realized there wasn't any film in the camera at all! When I went to get the camera, my mom said that she thought there was still a half-used roll in there from whatever our last event had been. I believed her, and didn't check - until I realized I had taken about 40 pictures, and there's no way the roll should have allowed that many - especially if it was already partially used! Oops!

By far my worst film gaff, though, was getting back from a vacation, getting my photos printed, and having them come back very grainy and orange. At first I thought the lab must have screwed up, and I was about to take them back and demand a reprint when I realized that I hadn't taken the unexposed film out of my bag at the airport on the way there...it had been x-rayed, and then I had put it in the camera and used it.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
<snip>...it had been x-rayed...

It's hard to believe that this happened. I'm in photo printing business for over more than 20 years and I can remember only two cases of film being fogged by X-ray. The worst case was severe damage from scanning by unskilled custom guards with obsolete machines in some low developped country. The other case was very light fogging the customer did not see.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
RE: X-Rayed film

It's hard to believe that this happened. I'm in photo printing business for over more than 20 years and I can remember only two cases of film being fogged by X-ray. The worst case was severe damage from scanning by unskilled custom guards with obsolete machines in some low developped country. The other case was very light fogging the customer did not see.

X-Ray isn't too rough on film if it is in carry-on baggage. However, checked baggage is another story.

-hh

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Whew ... I thought this was gonna be a film bashing thread!

Though I never did what the OP did because a friend decades ago told me to always check the rewind knob when first loading until you get a 'feel' for it.

I did go in the field for a 21 day exercise with known weak battery, it died on the 6th day. The was a Canon A-1, metering and shutter totally battery dependent.

When I got back from the field I immediately secured a Canon F1 because it can function without a battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.