Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowtonkatoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I signed up for the Apple News+ free trial a few days after launch. My "free" trial was set to expire on May 1st, but decided to try to cancel it the night before expiry on April 30th. I followed the proper steps to cancel on my iPad Pro, but the cancellation button just would not work. I then called Apple and was instructed to try cancelling using my iPhone XS instead, but when I clicked on "confirm cancellation," it simply would not take. The Apple Agent then escalated my call to a Senior Advisor who assured me that the cancellation would go through by the expiry date. I had my doubts about this, but decided to trust the Advisor. The next day, May 1st, I was, indeed, charged $9.99 by iTunes. I then called Apple again and was told they would not reverse the charge due to their terms and conditions. I then resorted tp chatting with Apple Support, but they insisted the charge would not be reversed. It seems Apple has chosen to use draconian tactics to keep subscribers on the hook, which bodes ill for their new services business. Potential subscribers: consider yourselves warned.

yellowtonkatoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I signed up for the Apple News+ free trial a few days after launch. My "free" trial was set to expire on May 1st, but decided to try to cancel it the night before expiry on April 30th. I followed the proper steps to cancel on my iPad Pro, but the cancellation button just would not work. I then called Apple and was instructed to try cancelling using my iPhone XS instead, but when I clicked on "confirm cancellation," it simply would not take. The Apple Agent then escalated my call to a Senior Advisor who assured me that the cancellation would go through by the expiry date. I had my doubts about this, but decided to trust the Advisor. The next day, May 1st, I was, indeed, charged $9.99 by iTunes. I then called Apple again and was told they would not reverse the charge due to their terms and conditions. I then resorted tp chatting with Apple Support, but they insisted the charge would not be reversed. It seems Apple has chosen to use draconian tactics to keep subscribers on the hook, which bodes ill for their new services business. Potential subscribers: consider yourselves warned.
I’m happy to report that Apple decided to make good on this. I received a call today letting me know the charge would be reversed.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Same thing happened to me. I signed up for the trial, canceled before it was over, and still got charged... TWICE. That's $30, after tax. They're refunding it, but it could take up to 30 days. What an absolute pain in the ass. Especially since I need that money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.