Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

labrat1996

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Lenexa, Kansas
What is your experience going from the 5s to the 8/8 Plus?

First - I was surprised at how seamlessly the upgrade went. I backed up the 5s last night and upgraded to iOS 11 this morning. Everything worked as it should have. Visual Voice mail took a little while to show up on the 8 Plus. iOS 11 didn't totally mess up the 5s either, so I guess I can still use it as a music player. I have an armband that fits it, so the 5s will be my go to for running/walking. Apps took over an hour to load on the 8 Plus.

Wireless Charging is everything I hoped it would be. I got the Belkin Boost Up and it charges through the case. The charger is now on my end table next to the sofa and I can just pick up the phone whenever I want to use it and set it back down on the pad to charge without fumbling around looking for the end of the cable.

I was worried that the size of the 8 Plus might be too big of a change coming from the 5s, but no, it is not. Not sure how I ever read that screen with my 54 year old eyes! Also, it fits in my hand just fine.

The 8 is SO Fast and I can actually read the comments on Yahoo without the pages continually reloading.

I haven't tried the camera (my 5s actually took quite nice pictures) or the speakers yet.

I had the phone off the charger while I surfed the web on it for about 30 minutes and I only lost about 1% of battery. My 5s would have been down to 70% or less. (I never replaced the battery).

I do not have a yellow screen. The tone doesn't seem much different than the tone on the 5s screen to me. The screen resolution is definitely better. No more eye strain when I use my phone!

Anyone else do this upgrade? What are your observations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.