Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dogger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Vancouver BC
the weather has been god awful here for weeks, with the early nights, torrential rain and howling winds I have had no chance to exercise my new D80 :( , suggestions for these periods of shutter withdrawal ?

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Shooting in the rain can be fun!! No joke. I have had success shooting slow film with long shutter speeds to catch lightning bolts and such. Shoot under awnings, roofs, your car hatchback lid etc. A good tripod and some other simple stuff is all you need. I have spent many an afternoon and evening shooting college, and high school football in the rain with trashbags, ponchos, and umbrellas. Wouldn't recommend that. Rain also provides nice reflection opportunities. Your car windshield offers a lot of potential for interesting reflections in rain drops. Just don't drive while shooting! Puddles are also great fun. Coffee shop windows or other large public places offer nice chances to shoot others battling the elements. Still life has been mentioned. There really is no end to the potential of rainy day photos. Go nuts!!

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I take pictures from the truck window downwind, got this during Hurricane
Wilma last October...
Library-2919.jpg
wilma05.jpg
no, I did not paddle out until later that day!

VictorM

Sep 12, 2006
hogtown
This is great! where do you live? I would love snow like this, instead we are having some "heat wave" in Toronto right now :(

Dogger

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Vancouver BC
Vancouver BC. unbelievable for this time of year. usually we just get tons of rain, well we did but we got this as well :D
Hopefully when it stops I can get out and have some fun.

Sammis89

macrumors regular
May 30, 2005
I took this this summer, in southern michigan, about forty minutes from Kalamazoo. All of a sudden there was this torrential downpour, literally seconds after i took this pic. Although i guess it really doesnt show the weather, it shows how wild things can look before the weather actually gets wild itself.

n1141800022_30214634_5489.jpg

Although it looks like its edited, it isn't.

Taken with a 35mm Minolta XG7

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
the weather has been god awful here for weeks, with the early nights, torrential rain and howling winds I have had no chance to exercise my new D80 :( , suggestions for these periods of shutter withdrawal ?

Run with it! More often than not, photography is a reaction to what you're presented. React!

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I've got a waterproof camera for rainy days. In rainy Van. having one around is probably not a bad idea.
The one I have is the Pentax W10. At wide-angle the results are pretty good. Maybe the newer W20 is better at the tele setting. It's dust-proof too, so that using it at the beach isn't scary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.