Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisbarbov

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
I've seen much frustration over where to keep the pencil and why there isn't a magnetic hold like the Surface Pro. Today I found out there is... sort of.

You need to have the ASK for the trick to work, but I presume it's valid for the Smart Cover as well. First time I discovered this was during Spanish class. I was holding the Pencil and felt some weird draw to the tablet from the right side. Turns out there's just enough space to 'attach' the Pencil to the tablet once the ASK is flipped backwards. Photo:

IMG_5712.JPG

IMG_5714.JPG

It also stays on the right side when the ASK is closed:

IMG_5711.JPG

The hold is pretty strong. I hope this helps you!

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I discovered this as well with my 9.7 Pro. It works, but it’s not perfect. It falls off pretty easily. But Apple wants to sell more overpriced sleeves :p

Reactions: denisbarbov

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Cool, maybe you could link to the post you made on here back then about it spreading a potentially helpful discovery to everyone else. You know, the one you made when you were taking a break from making posts putting other people down.

Sorry, I didn’t make a post back then as I assumed common sense doesn’t need to be called out each time. You can go back to your safe spaces now.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks, OP! This is one of those tricks that a lot of people - but definitely not everyone - knows about. Kind of like how you used to be able to attach the included remote to an iMac's bezel, back when FrontRow was a thing, and before they moved from magnets to adhesive (to hold the screen together). Good stuff!

Reactions: denisbarbov
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.