Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
I was able to replicate this issue with multiple Apple Pencil and iPad Pro units at the Apple Store, even when Wi-Fi was turned off (which caused one of them to think it was being stolen and make a loud alarm sound, guess it was a first for the employees there who were more than understanding, thankfully) and when Pencils were being swapped across my 2020 12.9" with the A12Z and 2021 12.9" with the M1.

Basically, if I fill up the notes app with a lot of scribbling and writing with the Apple Pencil, strokes will start to lag and delay quite horribly and sometimes the Pencil will cut out for a moment and lead to strokes not registering or the erase tool inappropriately changing size at the wrong angle, usually when trying to push data to iCloud but it's happened when offline too. This didn't happen prior to iPadOS 15.

I let the manager at the Apple Store know of the issue and they would escalate it to Apple in Cupertino but I wanted to post here to see if anyone else has the same issue.

It should be noted that I even had my 12.9" iPad Pro and Apple Pencil swapped under warranty and the issue is still there.

ManuCH

macrumors 65832
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
The same thing happens with the Notes app if you have very, very, *very* long text notes. I use Notes as some sort of daily diary, and after a certain length it stutters and lags so much that it's unusable. It started with iOS 15, where they implemented the edit history feature.

GhostOS

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2022
This isn't the answer to your question about the Notes app, but if you're heavily into writing & scribbling, I've personally really enjoyed using Defter Notes & Moleskine Flow. Highly recommend checking them out.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Interesting, I haven’t experienced that behaviour myself so far, I guess my daily scribbles aren’t long enough then? Can you guys make a video of the behaviour by chance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.