Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnGregory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
I tried earlier today with great frustration to allow the System to update Catalina. I kept getting error messages that the Mac could not be updated...to restart and try it again. After several tries...failure.

There is a solution! Allow the System to download the beta. Stop it form trying to install. Create a Bootable Thumb Drive. The install from the Thumb Drive works perfectly. There are several apps to create the Thumb Drive but I have found that letting the Terminal App in the Utilities folder is quicker, more accurate and truly easy to do. Here is the command to enter into Terminal and in a fw minutes you will have just what you need!

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/UNTITLED && echo Catalina Boot Drive Created

Just copy and paste it into Terminal...enter your password and it will be done! Resart with the Thumb Drive and all will be well. My install went perfectly.

JohnGregory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Nope! I tried 5 times before creating the Thumb Drive. That worked perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.