Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I guess Apple won't spend a whole lot of R&D on thermal issues for the 2018, being it's the last model before we see the 10nm CPU! Where we all know there will be a huge redesign for lots of new components, right?

Edit - why would Apple spend any time, any, when all new changes are a comin in 2019!

Mathematig

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago
This update you expect maybe is up to Intel. As long as Apple use this thin design for MacBook Pro, I think it cannot handle high computing software. Let's see what model come out in 2019.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This design actually has better cooling than the previous models, it handled the Quad core chips plus dGPU with aplomb - that intel have provided “45W” chips that dont seem to be able to operate effectively at that TDP doesn’t leave Apple with a lot of options outside of just not updating to them - which in itself would upset people.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I guess Apple won't spend a whole lot of R&D on thermal issues for the 2018, being it's the last model before we see the 10nm CPU! Where we all know there will be a huge redesign for lots of new components, right?

Edit - why would Apple spend any time, any, when all new changes are a comin in 2019!
Until 2020 don't expect much...Probably 12" Macbook will get a redesign for the chassis and the internals in 2019, and after 1 year for the macbook pro

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I think your worries are a bit too early. Apple will be using fans for a few more year, at least.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The next "due" redesign is 2020. If Intel manages to solve their 10mn woes, next year will bring faster CPUs at much better power consumption. From this perspective, I agree — it doesn't make much sense to redesign the chassis just for one generation of CPUs that tends to run too hot. There are too many things I don't understand though. Why does Apple's cooling solution handle Kaby Lake better then Dell XPS, but the XPS performs so much better with Coffee Lake? This doesn't make any sense to me. I believe there might be another issue in addition to heat. Hopefully a firmware bug that can be solved.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

Apple usually uses a body style for at least 4-5 model years, I don’t think we will see a major redesign for at least another 1-2 years. I’m expecting 2020-21 to be the next big redesign.
[doublepost=1532012822][/doublepost]
believe there might be another issue in addition to heat. Hopefully a firmware bug that can be solved.
I tried suggesting this in one of the throttling threads but everyone else seems to disagree with this point. I think there is entirely a chance that some of the heat/throttling issues could be mitigated with a a future software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.