Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Hey everyone,
Looking to replace the thermal pads on a gtx Titan X. I heard good things about fujipoly but not sure about thickness and W/mK ratings. Higher the W/mk rating the better? 1mm thickness? Thinner the better? .5mm perhaps?
Thanks,
Matt

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
May I know why you need to replace that? Titan X is a fairly new card.
As it turns out, it seems I have been monitoring my GPU temps with a software that gives me a false reading of 90c all the time and never changes, even under stress test :/ (HWmonitor). I tried a different software and shows what seems to be accurate changes in temps. (magician), but still not sure. I just checked the thermal grease on the die and it was really dry and flakey so I cleaned it, prepped it, and applied some new arctic silver 5. Probably just the thermal grease that needed to be replaced, the pads actually look fine so I think ill leave em alone.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
As it turns out, it seems I have been monitoring my GPU temps with a software that gives me a false reading of 90c all the time and never changes, even under stress test :/ (HWmonitor). I tried a different software and shows what seems to be accurate changes in temps. (magician), but still not sure. I just checked the thermal grease on the die and it was really dry and flakey so I cleaned it, prepped it, and applied some new arctic silver 5. Probably just the thermal grease that needed to be replaced, the pads actually look fine so I think ill leave em alone.

HWmonitor won't work for GPU without porper FakeSMC plugin.

You better do the test in Windows (Bootcamp).

Reactions: itdk92

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Seems like there is no way for me to tell the temps on OS X......

This is one of the reason why I have little cheap SSD for bootcamp only. I use that for gaming, but also it for testing / calibrating the hardware (mainly GPU). I just can't do that in OSX.

Reactions: itdk92

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
This is one of the reason why I have little cheap SSD for bootcamp only. I use that for gaming, but also it for testing / calibrating the hardware (mainly GPU). I just can't do that in OSX.
humbug

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Logitech gaming software is free, Win/Mac compatible, and can stream GPU/CPU performance stats to your iDevice using their Arx Control app. Might be worth a look. I have only used it occasionally in windows but it's reasonable for monitoring.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Logitech gaming software is free, Win/Mac compatible, and can stream GPU/CPU performance stats to your iDevice using their Arx Control app. Might be worth a look. I have only used it occasionally in windows but it's reasonable for monitoring.

Thanks, will check it out

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Just tested, the Logitech software cannot monitor GPU as well.
image.png

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
Just tested, the Logitech software cannot monitor GPU as well.
View attachment 633181
Gonna install an Ubuntu partition today. Lol
[doublepost=1464349877][/doublepost]I actually contacted iStat About a week ago. I told them that I need gpu temps and that was one of the main reasons I purchased their software. They messaged me back requesting some logs so I sent them but haven't heard back. Maybe they will be in an upcoming update.....wishful thinking.

wiski15b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2016
FYI, Just stress tested my Titan X with furmark in Windows. 37c idle 86c max.

Christian Schumacher

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2015
HWmonitor won't work for GPU without porper FakeSMC plugin.

You better do the test in Windows (Bootcamp).

I actually contacted iStat About a week ago. I told them that I need gpu temps and that was one of the main reasons I purchased their software. They messaged me back requesting some logs so I sent them but haven't heard back. Maybe they will be in an upcoming update.....wishful thinking.

What about the PCI temp? Isn't that helpful when using Hardware Monitor? Or iStat?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.