Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
It is my birthday in October and I want a new camera so I can start doing a bit of photography. Max price is around £350. I really like the Kodak Easyshare V610 and the Nikon Coolpix S6. I really like them both. Could anyone please tell me if they're any good; your experiences with them; and what is this "Dual-Lense" on the V610? Thanks for quick replys.:D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I generally like Nikon, so I'll say the Nikon out of those 2 choices. ;)

There are a lot of great cameras within the £350 range. On top of the Nikon and Kodak, also look at a Sony if you want a very thin camera, or an Olympus or Canon if you want something that's thicker than the thinnest Sony, and yet is still considered small. :)

Oh, and the fact that the V610 comes with 2 lenses and Bluetooth for a decent price likely indicates that they skimped quality-wise in some other area. I'm not sure, though.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The S6 has a very nice screen and wi-fi. I've used every coolpix model out there and have to say it's a nice camera, but I'd rather go with the S5 if you like the slim type. The wi-fi is still a gimmick (in 1 or 2 generations it will be worth something maybe, but right now it's just something to brag about to your friends).

But, as I usually don't like slim cameras (worse optical qualities), I may recommend the coolpix P4, it's a bit bulkier but has a better, longer lens (with ED glass :cool: ), VR (vibration reduction) and an aperture priority mode.
It should be around $399 in the street...

EDIT: About the dual-lense in the Kodak, in order to save space they use 2 different lenses like say a 35-105mm and a 120-200mm (I'm totally making up the values). The camera switches between these lenses while you zoom. I haven't used the camera, but the reviews I read weren't that great (If I recall correctly you loose some of the intermediate focal lenghts and the switching is not as smooth).

That being said, if you have a chance to try them at a store, by all means do so. Compact digitals are similar enough (from a technical point of view) that the qualities that really define them and may give one an edge over the other are very personal (the button layout, different scene modes, size, etc). Don't let Megapixels and zoom Xs blind you. Buy the one you are most comfortable with.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Abstract said:
Look at the 2 cameras he's looking at, look at the D50, and tell me what differences you see in terms of size, weight, and......um....everything else.

Why not recommend a D50? The guy is asking the "what camera should I buy" question and not telling us anything about what he is looking for or what is importent to him other then maximum price.

Actually he says he wants to do "photography" which to me means making images as an end in itself as opposed to taking "snapshots" whait to me means bringing along a camera while to do something else

If the primary goal is the images then an SLR is the only way to go. But if the idea is to have a camera that you can cary around while you do other activities then smaller is better. Depends on the goal and he did not state a goal.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
How about the new Canon SD700 IS. I've never been a big fan of canon P&S's but this one certainly shows promise. I think its more camera than your other options.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
ChrisA said:
Why not recommend a D50? The guy is asking the "what camera should I buy" question and not telling us anything about what he is looking for or what is importent to him other then maximum price.

Check out the 2 cameras he's looking at. They should give you some idea.

And "photography" means taking photographs. Nobody is going to come here and say, "Hi, which camera do you think is great for taking snapshots?" Most people will say "photos", and most would consider this "photography."

We just seem to push people into the direction of a DSLR without even taking other things into consideration, such as prices for additional lenses, camera bags and accessories, etc.

And again, the 2 cameras he's looking at should give us all an indication of what he's looking at --- small, thin cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.