Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I hope someone from Apple reads this, the new stocks app widgets are terrible. No one who follows stocks wants half the widget to be news that no one cares about. They put the important information in a tiny little section, got rid of the slightly useful quick glance charts for the tickets, and replaced it with this abomination. Does anyone know of a decent, ad free, stocks app that has a good Mac widget?

Reactions: GlenK

Ashishd45

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
i thought the same but you can change it by editing the widget - can remove the news stories

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the OP about the news stories.
I don't want to see that.
When I invoke the widget, I want to see the stock name, the current price, and how much it's gone up or down.
Here's the widget from Mojave for an example:
stocks.jpg

Tells me what I need to know.

Ashishd -- could you tell us HOW to remove the news stories?
I can't find a way to edit the appearance of the new widget.
Some tips and guidance, please...?

Reactions: !!!

Ashishd45

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
i was referring to iOS rather than macOS. Assumed can do the same on Mac but obviously not?

mmdotking

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2024
Yep, I hated that also. But you can still edit it. Couple of steps on mac. Add the stock widget again, then I can edit "stocks" and remove news, show stories "never", choose my list, etc.

1726607681575.png
1726607706948.png

david911

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
California
Completely bogus iOS widget update. I want to see price, % change. no news. I kind of liked the previous graph. Anyone have any alternatives, or is there a way to fix this?

Reactions: BostonQuad

demyers

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2015
Apex, NC
Yep, I hated that also. But you can still edit it. Couple of steps on mac. Add the stock widget again, then I can edit "stocks" and remove news, show stories "never", choose my list, etc.
Thank you for this tip. I've only upgraded my iPad so far and hate the news on the widget, but there was no option to edit it. I had to add the widget again in order to get the edit option.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I noticed this too and got here via a Google search to see if I was going nuts. The launch-day iOS 18 and macOS Sequoia Stocks widget had Apple News headlines by default with no visible option to disable them. I took note of this at the time because it seemed heavy-handed and less usable. Today, all the widgets across my devices seemed to auto-revert to a more usable display showing day-to-day changes and no headlines. There was no interaction on my part.

EDIT: It looks like the new default behavior for the Stocks widget is to go into a 'headline mode' after trading ends. Hence the different appearances. The solution posted above—that is, to remove the widget and then re-add it—worked for me because I was able to see the configuration options after that. I then set the app to never show News headlines.

Last edited:

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
Completely bogus iOS widget update. I want to see price, % change. no news. I kind of liked the previous graph. Anyone have any alternatives, or is there a way to fix this?
Yes, by editing the widget options:

Long tap on the widget to get the "Edit Widget" option. Tap Edit Widget, where you can set Show Stories to Never. Tap Show More Details if desired. It won't add the little chart, but it will add daily point and % change.

(If the stock widget is part of a stack, I couldn't find a way to edit it. I removed it and added it again.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.