Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSignal

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Last year, I learned a lot about Things and discovered 2do by reading MAS reviews of Things. Though I wanted to reciprocate, it turns out you can't leave a MAS review if you haven't purchased the application via MAS.

Things 3 was recently released, so it seems like a good time to share my experiences with Things 3 and Things 2, as well as a couple of others.

TL;DR (shorter version)
Things 3 has an improved appearance. The feature set is more incremental than spectacular, but it offers some useful improvements.

Longer Version
There is no best task manager just like there is no best flavor of ice cream. What you like depends on how you work, or how much you are willing to adapt your way of working to what is supported by a task manager application.

Nice Things
  • relatively easy learning curve compared to 2do and OmniFocus (worst)
  • calendar integration in Today and Upcoming views
  • decent repeating task function, though more quirky and less capable than 2do (best)
  • tag assignment at the Project or Area Level
  • sync is fast and reliable, simple to configure
  • useful support responses comparable to OmniFocus, and better than 2do (worst), but response times are measured in days with the launch of Things 3
Better Things (vs. Things 2)
  • calendar integration
  • headings in projects
  • Evening assignments with Today view
  • check lists
  • updated appearance
Underwhelming Things
  • pie graphic progress indicator
  • "animations"
Disappointing Things
  • no repeating tasks in projects
  • no headings in Areas
  • Areas can't collapse in sidebar
  • can't view project tasks in an Area without drilling down
  • task descriptions truncated by deadline icon and countdown text
  • limited re-ordering capability if tasks in Today view are displayed by project
  • 2do lists or even simple folders > Things Areas (concept and UI)
  • still have to sort tag list manually to get simple alphabetical order
  • still no display of task notes in list views (available with 2do)
  • still no IOS trial (available with 2do)
Especially for people who are not going to make a determined effort to discover the deeper capabilities of 2do or OmniFocus, I would feel good about recommending Things.

Things is a good choice for learning by doing, and relying on support when you get stuck. Caveat: for the near term, you might be waiting a day or days for Things 3 support responses.

Comparison: OmniFocus

As much as I wanted to like OF, I could not identify anything that it did better for me than 2do or Things. I definitely got stuck and confused sooner and more often. As far as the way it works, you drink the Kool Aid or you don't.

Even after I made a serious study of OmniFocus, it was not for me. It was especially not for me for its shortcomings with laughably limited repeating tasks, due-date orientation (vs. start date), incidental bugs, and the extra premium price for the un-crippled versions.

Support responses were sluggish compared to my trial of Things 2 around the same time, but the replies were useful and clear. FWIW, one apologetic response made mention of flu taking down the support staff.​

Comparison: 2do

2do is the product of some very clever thinking and good design. The prize is the feature set, the implementation of the feature set, and the capacity for customization. This is what makes 2do a powerful and fascinating alternative to Things and OmniFocus. It hooked me hard. <g>

2do's UI is quite distinct from Things 3. One person's idea of rich presentation is another person's idea of clutter (2do), as one person's idea of clean is another person's idea of sterile (Things 3). Possibly due to lack of Things 3 "animation", 2do feels more responsive to me.

On the downside, 2do reminds me regularly that its execution is not on the level of Things or OmniFocus. It has the most foibles (followed by Things 3, OF, Things 2). In my experience, support was/is marginal to non-existent. Usable documentation is available to the motivated.

Using any of these tasks managers is a little like getting married. There is going to be frequent and important interaction with this partner. If you decide to download trials before you commit, it could be worth your time to get to know 2do better. Likewise for the free IOS trial.​

All FYI FWIW. Of course, YMMV if you don't work exactly the way I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevTEG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.