Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I see that GoPro has a refurbished Hero 5 Session tapeless micro-video camcorder on sale for $150 on their site. I'm half-seriously thinking about picking one up.

I've waited several years before taking the leap into tapeless video recording.

I already use an iPad Mini 32 GB, an Android smartphone with 128 GB, but have so far used them sparingly for photos or video.

I shoot photos and video of many outdoor endeavors, including outdoor events, volunteer public trail work bees, trail hikes, etc.

I do not really have a budget for it, but I thought about trying a discount GoPro as a "starter kit". The problem is, I have no idea what else a basic starter kit would need to be complete. I can't have a budget if I don't know what I'm budgeting for.

Obviously any tapeless camcorder needs flash cards for recording. I'm assuming I would need to look for new hard drives to archive the footage. In order for this small video device to be useful, it would have to be attached either to someone (wearing it) or something (mounting it on a tripod, in a tree or on a vehicle). I would also need to come up with some kind of protective storage, both to keep things neat and organized, as well as to carry it in a self-contained kit in a backpack.

What are my options for a starter kit? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Video shot with the camera mounted on anything moving will not be smooth but could be useful anyway, depending on your expectations and skill. A gimbal will make it much easier to get smoother video, but the decent wearable ones cost more that your refurb camera. If you are going to try to stabilize after the fact, that takes quite a bit of CPU.

Extra batteries and big SD cards for long hikes. I do a lot of bike trail recording and, if I recall correctly, you get an hour or two from a battery and 64GB card, depending on the resolution you shoot.

A sun shade for the lens is helpful for some situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wingsley

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I think like any equipment, you gotta have a need. Otherwise, you end up with a closet full of unused, and depreciating, stuff.

I have thought I needed a GoPro for several years, and yet have somehow managed to complete my projects without one. But ... my friend bought a Hero 6 - he's always wanted one! - and we took some b-roll while mounted to a car windshield. Completely stable. About 16GB per 30 minute clip. The windshield kit was pretty cheap - maybe $15?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yes mounted to something substantial like a car its steady... unless you are off roading on a bumpy road :). But the OP was talking about hiking.

I didn't need one but received one as a holiday present. Its small and the wide angle and lengthy recording makes it more useful than a phone on a long hike or trip, but my G40 takes much better video.

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
The Hero 5 does not have the stabilisation features of the 6 or the latest 7 after it, so the footage may be a little too shaky while hiking.

Along with the GoPro you will need a MicroSD memory card - don't cheap out and get the Sandisk Ultra, for example. a Good quality card will go a long way. I use a Lexar 633x 200GB card....
If you want to shoot all day long look for some spare batteries. Ive found some 3rd party batteries a LOT cheaper and provide the same battery life as GoPro originals.

I would recommend a chest mount for a truly immersive perspective - its certainly one of my favourite ways to mount a GoPro to myself! Provides a really nice view.

Finally, I'd also recommend a handheld gimbal with the Hero 5 to smooth out footage. Either the GoPro Karma Grip or one of the Feiyu tech models for instance. With the former you can mount it onto the chest mount (or any other GoPro mount) and get the best of both worlds.

Check out my YouTube channel - link in sig - Ive reviewed all the GoPro cameras along with tons of accessories and gimbals. Hopefully you will find them useful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.