Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I use a nikon d40 i want to start working with photoshop im thinking about getting elements 4.0 to start me off in the world of photoshop but i want to know what others think of it and is it the right way to start???

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
You might want to wait until March when the new version (6.0) comes out.

what dose the new version has to offer and the only reason im looking at 4.0 is that im new to the world of P.S and i just want to get the feel of things and then work my way up from there.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I have 4.0 elements. I like it. There are only a few things I have found that it really cant do. You can also try gimp if you want to. That is more like photoshop.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
what dose the new version has to offer and the only reason im looking at 4.0 is that im new to the world of P.S and i just want to get the feel of things and then work my way up from there.

The main thing is that it should be much faster on your computer -- version 4.0 is not optimized for the new Intel CPUs. But if you want to get started right away, I don't think the basic functionality will change that much -- though the interface looks to be quite a bit different.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
ive just book my copy of elements 6.0 but no uk release date

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I use a nikon d40 i want to start working with photoshop im thinking about getting elements 4.0 to start me off in the world of photoshop but i want to know what others think of it and is it the right way to start???

If you are just working with photos, doing minor corrections and touch-up then Elements does all of what you need. When using medium size images (Like those made with a DSLR) on my 2.16Ghz iMac Elements runs "fast enough". CS3 is better because it is a universal binary and dos not need Rosetta.

When Elements 6.0 comes out Adobe will let you upgrade from Element 4.0 but you will only save about $20. But Everyone always says "If you need it now, buy it now. I agree. I good way to buy Elements 4. is to pick up a Wacom graphic tablet. The tablet costs $100 and has Elements 4 inside. Elements 4 alone retails for about $80. I'd rather pay the extra $20

Later if you find that you must have CS3 Adobe gives a good credit for Elements when you upgrade. So there is no reason not to start with Elements.

Gimp has a feature set that falls between Elements and Photoshop CS3. Gimps best "feature" is that it is open source nd runs identically on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and most UNIXes.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Gimp has a feature set that falls between Elements and Photoshop CS3. Gimps best "feature" is that it is open source nd runs identically on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and most UNIXes.

I second the recommendation for Gimp, however I submit that Gimp's best feature is its blazing speed. On my Mac Pro, it runs circles around Photoshop.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Does PSE4 run on Leopard? I thought there were stability issues, but I might be mistaken.

billferreira

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
PSE 4 doesn't install on Leopard 5.3

It would sometimes install on 5.1 and 5.2 but not on 5.3. Adobe does not support PSE v4 on any release of Leopard.

I tried this just yesterday so this is not a response from reading forum messages.

This is from the forums: If you want to downgrade Leopard to 5.1 or 5.2, it will usually install (but not always). Then after installing, you can upgrade Leopard to 5.3 and it might work. Again, not always.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.