Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kantian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi All.

One of my computers failed and the insurance has covered the cost of a replacement. I would like a new iMac I'm thinking of buying the 5K model and was wondering if you'd give your advice on somethings.

First thing is the RAM I have read on MacRumors and elsewhere it's cheaper not to upgrade your RAM directly with Apple. Would this RAM be suitable for the current model of 5K iMac? Staying with RAM does the current Skylake model support 64GB? I've read here that it does but I'd just like someone here to clarify as I trust the community here.

If it does take 64GB how do I upgrade it to 64GB I can't seem to find 16GB sticks that say they are suitable for the iMac. Could someone point me in their direction please?

I am not desperate for a desktop but I would miss not having one as I don't currently have one now that my PC failed. Would you wait for the iMac refresh or buy now? I'm aware iMacs are currently mid-cycle. The only thing that is kind of bothering me is Thunderbolt 3 not being there but it's no deal breaker.

I'd be upgrading everything else in the iMac i7 4.0GHz (4.2GHz) Turbo + Graphics Card to 4GB + storage to 1TB Flash (is it PCIe-Based?). Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

K

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yes you can upgrade RAM yourself. As far as I know OWC are the early providers of a 64gb upgrade kit it is not cheap.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1867DDR3S64S/

$700 is a bit much really unless you know you'll use it it's only 1866mhz as well and it should be able to take 2133mhz. Not that it'll make much difference.

Yes all apples flash storage is now PCIe (MacBook might be an exception there but it's still fast).

I doubt we'll see any update until autumn and with Kabylake being a skylake rebadge the only thing to wait for would be better AMD graphics cards (but there will always be better graphics on the horizon) and thunderbolt 3 which will make no difference unless you want an external 5k screen or eGPU solution in the future.

Kantian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
United Kingdom
Samuelsan2001
Thanks very much Samuel I won't bother upgrading to 64GB I don't need it anyway I'll stick with 32GB I can get that for about £100; I should have said I was in the the UK my apologises.

Also thanks for the link and info I'll just go for the current model don't see the need to wait fore new Graphics cards and I don't need more than one 5K screen. I thought from all the buzz online that thunderbolt 3 was a big deal but I'll take your word, thanks again.

Regards,

K

Last edited:

majestice

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
And since you are going to ask for sure... if you don't know what you are doing, don't mix RAM. If you keep the apple ram you need to match both MHz and CL or you may end up with machine that runs the RAM at 1333MHz for example. That Kingston RAM is the fastest thing you can put into it.

Kantian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
United Kingdom
majestice
Thanks Majestice I am sorry for posting this topic again but I had a few other questions that I wanted answered at the same time.

That link is fantastic! I will order some of that RAM when I get my Mac it's much appreciated. Thanks again and I am sorry for posting trash it's not that I am not able to find these things myself I just get nervous about buying the wrong thing or making a mistake I'm a terribly anxious person.

Regards,

K

majestice

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
If you get that RAM I linked, I recommend you replace all of the sticks with this or you loose any advantage you'd get from this better RAM. Why I linked this to you is because from your specs it looks like you want the best machine, so I assumed you also want the fastest RAM. I hope it works for you. I ordered it blind (while I was too discussing the question with many other nervous buyers here while waiting the machine) when new 5K was released so I can personally guarantee it works. Later multiple users reported this one to be the fastest when compared to Crucial and other brands with similar specs. Apparently not all the 2133 RAM runs at that speed on iMac. Kingston HyperX does.

Kantian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
United Kingdom
Thanks for taking the time to write back that's a great help and yeah I was planning to I have never mixed RAM. I didn't think it was possible before but I have been told it is with newer machines however I like to stick to the one SKU.

I will have this machine until it dies so I like to upgrade it the best I can so it doesn't age too badly or as badly as it would otherwise. Many thanks again for your help.

Regards,

K

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.