Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
My 2020 MacBook Air with Intel has always struggled with getting warm. I do not like how hot it sometimes gets (the keys on the keyboard were hot to the touch the other day.), especially in the summer. This worries me. Sometimes it smells like a hot electronic, especially as of late.

The computer still seems to run fine—I am just concerned about its heat. I am hoping to be able to wait several more years before getting a new one. (I tend to use a computer for like 8-10 years before replacing). However, I do not know if this thing is safe to run for that long.

Do the newer Airs tend to run as hot? Or would I be better off with a pro? I know pros have fans inside while Airs do not. When I do get a new computer—I do not want one that runs hot, as this one does.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
My macbook air m1 2020 edition never had any heat problems and i live in a hot tropical climate.
i used Monterey to Sonoma which never heated up, even the M1 mac mini never gets hot at all.

i hoped this helped!

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
What applications do you run on your MBA? What’s your workload like on it?
during my sessions on the M1 thse past years
i used affinity design, handbrake, music both safari waterfox, pages all at once.
the M1 macbook air is wonderful and 8GB is enough were i never experienced the spinning ball.
I mostly typed novels using Pages while listening to music to a home pod speaker via wifi while on battery.

i am now using a macbook air from 2010 since i need CS4 to design a website and typing on that.
i do admit that M1 is an incredible fast and responsive,
too bad i can't use my old software and programs on that.

Reactions: Undo

Undo

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Florida
i am now using a macbook air from 2010 since i need CS4 to design a website and typing on that.
In the day, I ran CS on a 2011 MBA (4GB) and it struggled, and with heat like the OP’s. I have yet to experience an M-chip system, but I understand the M2 and M3 Airs (and Pros) can run hot depending on the load.

TenthDoctor, if you have a workload similar to his (MBAir2010), and if you want to splurge and have the peace of mind that a fan can help, I would go with a Pro. 😁 But if you can, wait a few months to see what the M4 brings.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBAir2010

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
My macbook air m1 2020 edition never had any heat problems and i live in a hot tropical climate.
i used Monterey to Sonoma which never heated up, even the M1 mac mini never gets hot at all.

i hoped this helped!
Thanks. What about the newer airs? Do you have Whole house/central air conditioning? My house doesn’t have that. It has air conditioning in a couple rooms, but not in the room I normally use the computer in.

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
What applications do you run on your MBA? What’s your workload like on it?
E-mail, photos, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Edge (some websites work better on specific browser), Apple Music, Pages, Numbers, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Minecraft, Discord, Zoom, Apple II GS emulator, other games, and other apps that I use less often.

It depends on the day—I almost always have Apple Music running when I am home. Sometimes I need to do training videos for my job (I work as a one on one with a little girl in elementary school. A device is not provided to me, so I always have to watch them on my compute).

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
In the day, I ran CS on a 2011 MBA (4GB) and it struggled, and with heat like the OP’s. I have yet to experience an M-chip system, but I understand the M2 and M3 Airs (and Pros) can run hot depending on the load.

TenthDoctor, if you have a workload similar to his (MBAir2010), and if you want to splurge and have the peace of mind that a fan can help, I would go with a Pro. 😁 But if you can, wait a few months to see what the M4 brings.
Thanks. I think I will get the pro…just to have a fan. My 2020 Intel Air struggled too much with my workload, which I do not think is much. It will even heat up if I have nothing running, and it isn’t on a cooling fan. I think it just isn’t meant to be in a room that doesn’t have air conditioning. I am afraid it will start to burn out internal component. I do not want to risk getting another Air—one that might be too hot as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.