Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I’ve been having troubles with Outlook lately, namely in crafting an email it automatically shuts down and moves to draft. Super annoying.

Anyway; been testing the mail app full time this week and I think I might switch to it full time. I actually like the smartbox feature and easier to read interface.

What’s kinda the general consensus here with Outlook vs Mail?

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I have been having the same issue. Super annoying, I initially thought it was a certain key I was accidentally hitting but was not the case. Apple Mail and Calendar work excellent with an Outlook account as long as you set it up as an Exchange account.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Depends on who your email provider is. Like Edward said, Exchange works fine.

I've used Mail exclusively since 2010. I tried Outlook for a little bit again in 2015, and it was more clunky and unoptimized, at least on Mac, but not bad overall.

Reactions: cdcastillo

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
Exchange has been working good for me except I had to rebuild my drafts folder, which fixed an issue. Overall, I’m really liking mail over Outlook. I’ve been using the Mail app on my iphone and ipad for over a year now as my exclusive mail client and I think it’s really good.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
The Mail app on iPhone is not great, at least for me. Search almost never works correctly, sometimes messages will just refuse to load, and downloading messages to replenish the cache only works occasionally. I've had the same problems with Mail since the 3GS days.

The point is, Mac Mail is much better than iOS Mail from my perspective.

urbanleopard

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
London, UK
On iOS I prefer Outlook as it combines mail and calendar in one app, and is consistent with Outlook on my Mac. But maybe it's just habit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Apples555

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
On iOS I prefer Outlook as it combines mail and calendar in one app, and is consistent with Outlook on my Mac. But maybe it's just habit?
I really like the layout of the mail app on iOS. I used Outlook before but it had some bugs and I found the layout was too busy visually.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
my biggest problem with mail or at least it use to be was the formatting with outlook users i.e. sometimes it would send it in plain text and look terrible. I'd be wary of that and double check it before you make the switch

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
my biggest problem with mail or at least it use to be was the formatting with outlook users i.e. sometimes it would send it in plain text and look terrible. I'd be wary of that and double check it before you make the switch
That’s interesting. I wonder if anyone else has seen this? Very troubling.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I used Mail as my exclusive mail client this week. I really like it. There’s a couple things I miss on Outlook but for the most part I find it super efficient.

whitby

Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
I was happy enough with Outlook until it started the annoying behavior described by the OP. Ie. When composing an email it will suddenly close the window and drop it into drafts for no reason. I switched back to legacy mode to get around the issue until they fix it. I find Mail to be clumsy and lacking in features I have grown accustomed to in Outlook, so I will not be switching to Mail for general use.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I was happy enough with Outlook until it started the annoying behavior described by the OP. Ie. When composing an email it will suddenly close the window and drop it into drafts for no reason. I switched back to legacy mode to get around the issue until they fix it. I find Mail to be clumsy and lacking in features I have grown accustomed to in Outlook, so I will not be switching to Mail for general use.
Are you not just clicking off the composing window? Do you get a message saying this draft is being edited in another window? Apologies if not the case, just trying to understand the problem.

I would take Outlook over mail every time, with the one feature missing, that of not being able to disable an account which is useful for holidays etc.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Are you not just clicking off the composing window? Do you get a message saying this draft is being edited in another window? Apologies if not the case, just trying to understand the problem.

I would take Outlook over mail every time, with the one feature missing, that of not being able to disable an account which is useful for holidays etc.

I have had this same problem while composing an email, or replying to one, it just 'blips', and the email I was composing just disappears, and usually the email I was responding to disappears as well. I was using that email address to handle emails from subcontractors, and lost an email I had to retain as I was trying to respond to it. The system just blipped out, and I went looking for the 'draft', and not only was there not a draft of that email response in process as has happened earlier but the source email I was replying to was completely gone. Not in trash, not in draft, it just freaking totally disappeared. I wrote to their support and have heard nothing sense, and have stopped using Outlook. This was the outlook.live.com site. That kind of behavior is totally unacceptable, and not getting any responses from support is such a great feeling. And this issue just happens at random too making it a rich and fulfilling user experience.

I used to love outlook, but now avoid it like the plague. Hard pass...

whitby

Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX

I have been using Outlook for the last 5 or so years under MacOS and have not experienced this issue until recently. So, no, it does not seem to happen if I click off the composing window. It seems to happen if you pause as you are composing the email (I cannot be sure since it is not consistent). I can be doing a reply or new email and I start, pause and suddenly it is gone (although once it seemed to happen while I was typing so thought it might be a specific time after you start composing the new email). First time it happened I thought I had lost my work, but I went to Drafts and there it was. The legacy version does not suffer from the same problem (to which you can switch back to, if you desire). I think a recent update created the issue.

MarineBand5524

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2021
I switched back to Mail a while ago, can't remember why but I don't miss Outlook at all now. I remember running Office 2011, 2016 and even though I still have Office running, I just never went back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.