Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I've been quite happy with my 40D, but I too was recently looking for something with video. The T2i is worth looking at, but it is not exactly a 1:1 match for a 40D. The Rebel cameras are typically a bit smaller than the xxD series, 18.7 oz. versus 26.1 oz. in this case. This can make the Rebel with any serious lens attached more front-heavy and a bit awkward to hand hold (depends on the user and the lens). The extra heft on the 40D buys you a top view LCD, a slightly bigger and more comfortable grip and partial weather sealing. The Rebel has a higher resolution sensor and more modern processing (which pushes the max ISO up to 12800), but the pixels end up being much smaller (4.3 microns versus 5.7 microns). The better processing makes up for some of this, but you just can't beat having wider pixels (laws of physics and all). Shutter speeds are lower at 3.7 fps versus 6.5 fps on the 40D. The 40D can also shoot 75 RAW shots in row, while the Rebel maxes out at 34.

heavy2healthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
I've been quite happy with my 40D, but I too was recently looking for something with video. The T2i is worth looking at, but it is not exactly a 1:1 match for a 40D. The Rebel cameras are typically a bit smaller than the xxD series, 18.7 oz. versus 26.1 oz. in this case. This can make the Rebel with any serious lens attached more front-heavy and a bit awkward to hand hold (depends on the user and the lens). The extra heft on the 40D buys you a top view LCD, a slightly bigger and more comfortable grip and partial weather sealing. The Rebel has a higher resolution sensor and more modern processing (which pushes the max ISO up to 12800), but the pixels end up being much smaller (4.3 microns versus 5.7 microns). The better processing makes up for some of this, but you just can't beat having wider pixels (laws of physics and all). Shutter speeds are lower at 3.7 fps versus 6.5 fps on the 40D. The 40D can also shoot 75 RAW shots in row, while the Rebel maxes out at 34.

Thanks for responding. I almost never shoot raw. The lens I use the most is 24-70 L which I dont think would be too big. I also would add a grip to the reble.How it handled higher iso's is what I find very attractive from a photography stand point. The video was just amazing.I figure I will go to my local best buy and play with it.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Well, if you need video, than it is a no brainer, as the 40D obviously doesn't offer this.

I just upgraded to the 40D from the XSi. While the rebel is a great camera (my first experience with a rebel), it is missing some of the features that i need. I took for granted the top dedicated LCD, the better AF, the larger frame rate, the better build, etc etc.

I don't really have any need for video, so i couldn't care less for the video. I actually wish they would offer a 5D2 model w/o the video for a bit cheaper.

I will be honest OP, it is a bit odd that you have such great glass but only shoot JPEG. :confused::confused:

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
I will be honest OP, it is a bit odd that you have such great glass but only shoot JPEG. :confused::confused:

Well, every thread where someone is asking about upgrading this or that body against upgrading glass, people always in huge numbers respond to upgrade glass. But that doesn't mean that they also have to change the way they are taking the photos. RAW on many levels requires a lot more work compared to just sending the camera-made jpegs to the print shop. Not everyone needs everything that the RAW format allows.
I personally always shoot RAW but I'm not at all surprised that someone with great glass uses jpeg.

heavy2healthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
Before you jump to a new Rebel wait for replacement of 50D. It should be announced pretty soon...

Thats a good idea I will probably wait then:) Raw is nice but I control every aspect of my shoot so I really dont need the full range of raw. For me its just an extra step for extra work.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Two quick things: the 24-70 is a fantastic lens (my number one carry lens), and also that I shoot almost exclusively in JPG. I choose this for two reasons, first is that the benefits of RAW don't hold any appeal to me (I do everything I need in camera, so no real tweaking needed on the Mac at home) and the added file size and resulting camera lag is not worth it. If my camera could shoot RAW frame for frame with JPG then I might go for it.

And as for video, I don't shoot it, so it makes no difference to me.

mjones185

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2009
Warner Robins,GA
Two quick things: the 24-70 is a fantastic lens (my number one carry lens), and also that I shoot almost exclusively in JPG. I choose this for two reasons, first is that the benefits of RAW don't hold any appeal to me (I do everything I need in camera, so no real tweaking needed on the Mac at home) and the added file size and resulting camera lag is not worth it. If my camera could shoot RAW frame for frame with JPG then I might go for it.

And as for video, I don't shoot it, so it makes no difference to me.

I don't want to steal the thread but are you happy with your 24-70's size and weight as a carry around lens?

For as video. I have the 40D and love it, I will upgrade to maybe 7D or 5D when the time comes. I actually purchased a Canon Powershot SD780 IS exclusively for video. It has awesome HD video, small and easy to throw in a pocket. I initially purchased the Kodack zi8 and took it back, not good at all. Now I have my 40D and this small camera for 179.00 that I take everywhere and it's also an excellent camera to boot for when I don't have my 40D.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.