Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Mac and Apple friends, advanced happy Easter.

Is there an app, preferably totally free, wherein you just click a button on this up (like you would with a VPN) and it'll get rid of the reverb (some videos have echos in them, usually online videos, for example talks held in churches) as it streams or plays? Then if you don't need it you can just click a button to disable it if you want to have reverb in your sounds (in song like Gregorian Chant).

Thank you. Have a great weekend.

Last edited:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Maybe you need to add some more info about the specifics to your OP. Not quite sure what you are asking.

Maybe it's an issue with your computer speakers? Because that's not normal for online videos.

Or are you talking about specific online videos with reverb in them and you want to get rid of the reverb? Online videos that sound like they have reverb for ALL people watching the video?

If yes, have you tried these online videos on a different device? Do they still have reverb?

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
what software are you using?
DAWs (digital audio workstations) often come with something called "gate / expander" which is exactly what you need

if you happen to use Logic, this should probably come with one, maybe even GarageBand?
Reaper is not free ($60 for non professional use), but can be "demoed" infinitely without any restrictions.
there are other cheap (or free) DAWs or audio/video editors, but i'm not sure which of those are carrying a gate plugin in them.
while setting a gate up is no black magic, it's also usually not just set and forget if you've never used a gate before either.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Maybe you need to add some more info about the specifics to your OP. Not quite sure what you are asking.

Maybe it's an issue with your computer speakers? Because that's not normal for online videos.

Or are you talking about specific online videos with reverb in them and you want to get rid of the reverb? Online videos that sound like they have reverb for ALL people watching the video?

If yes, have you tried these online videos on a different device? Do they still have reverb?
Hi, thanks I updated the original message to reflect what I wanted to convey with that anti-reverb app (it's it exists), thanks again. :)

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I got it now.
So you aren't looking for editing software of any type. You aren't downloading videos and then editing them to sound better.
You just want an app with a button in the menu bar (for example) to click that will change the sound profile of the online video clip.

I would imagine there might be apps that work like an Eq across the system. After a quick search I found these...

Boom2:Volume Boost & Equalizer
eqMac

You can search for these apps on your preferred search engine.
(I don't use them or know anything about them)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I got it now.
So you aren't looking for editing software of any type. You aren't downloading videos and then editing them to sound better.
You just want an app with a button in the menu bar (for example) to click that will change the sound profile of the online video clip.

I would imagine there might be apps that work like an Eq across the system. After a quick search I found these...

Boom2:Volume Boost & Equalizer
eqMac

You can search for these apps on your preferred search engine.
(I don't use them or know anything about them)
boom 3D (which is the current version) does EQ, and has a 3D effect (i only use it for the EQ); it won't do what you want.

there are plugins (for logic, for example), that remove reverb (and it's hit or miss), but not sure there's a simple path to what you want. look for a noise gate; if there's an app with one, perhaps that will help (it shuts down the audio under a certain level, ie good for catching room noise... but again, not perfect).

Reactions: smoking monkey

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
boom 3D (which is the current version) does EQ, and has a 3D effect (i only use it for the EQ); it won't do what you want.

there are plugins (for logic, for example), that remove reverb (and it's hit or miss), but not sure there's a simple path to what you want. look for a noise gate; if there's an app with one, perhaps that will help (it shuts down the audio under a certain level, ie good for catching room noise... but again, not perfect).
Good info. I'm not the OP though just to clarify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.