Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
This Amazon USB-C and A card was an amazing deal compared to most other things I could find. I installed it today in my 5,1 and it works natively with Monterey. It charges my iPhone 12 surprisingly fast via USBC as a nice bonus.

Update: It appears to charge at the same speed as the built in Mac Pro ports, also had issues repeatedly re-connecting to phone data. No other issues with external drives etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: leoaf79

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
OK I need to add some disclaimers here with this card now that I've used it a bit.

While I was pleasantly surprised it charges my iPhone faster than many PCs, I don't think it's any faster than the built in Mac Pro USB ports.

The card kept dis and re-connecting data from my iPhone. I DON'T have this issue with this with my external drive. Once I installed the Windows driver this stopped happening in Windows 10. To add to the confusion, when I got the Mac Pro it had an old USB3 card alread installed, and Monterey kept losing and re-mounting my drives overnight so that's why I replaced it. Not sure if it's Monterey, my Mac, or what that causes all that but either way this card seems to work better than my previous, and fine outside of iPhone data at least in Monterey.

Do you have any problems hot swapping USB plugs with Monterey?
I can test it more later

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
To add to the confusion, when I got the Mac Pro it had an old USB3 card alread installed, and Monterey kept losing and re-mounting my drives overnight so that's why I replaced it.
When your Mac Pro enters deep sleep, USB drives are disconnected and un-mounted, this is expected behavior.

There are apps (Mountain, Jettison) that disconnect and remount the drives before/after sleep - you can even make a Keyboard Maestro script to accomplish the same.

Reactions: bwillwall

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
When your Mac Pro enters deep sleep, USB drives are disconnected and un-mounted, this is expected behavior.

There are apps (Mountain, Jettison) that disconnect and remount the drives before/after sleep - you can even make a Keyboard Maestro script to accomplish the same.
That's what changed. I'm currently not able to use sleep mode properly, probably because I don't have a flashed GPU. Thanks. Still learning all of this!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
That's what changed. I'm currently not able to use sleep mode properly, probably because I don't have a flashed GPU. Thanks. Still learning all of this!
You can use sleep with a PC GPU, no problem, but if your BR2032 RTC battery is below 3.00V, you start to have issues with sleep. Below 2,9V your Mac Pro starts to behave crazily. Check your RTC battery with a voltmeter.

Always replace the RTC battery with a real BR2032, the battery holder is right below the GPU heatsink and the heat around the GPU cooks a CR2032 in no time.

• Love

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
You can use sleep with a PC GPU, no problem, but if your BR2032 RTC battery is below 3.00V, you start to have issues with sleep. Below 2,9V your Mac Pro starts to behave crazily. Check your RTC battery with a voltmeter.

Always replace the RTC battery with a real BR2032, the battery holder is right below the GPU heatsink and the heat around the GPU cooks a CR2032 in no time.
I'm too lazy for the voltage testing but I put a temporary cr2032 in until I get the br I ordered. Fixed sleep mode thanks!

So I do still have one issue with my MP in case anyone knows what this is. So Monterey boots fine, a few minutes later it will reboot and kernel panic, after that it will stay working as long as I keep it on. If I restart it, then I will need to do a 2nd boot or it will kernel panic soon after the first. Windows 10 has no issue booting and working normally.

fatespawn

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2009
Chicagoish
Yes, that was my question. One of the little glitches with my Open Core setup is I can't hot swap USB devices like keyboards/mice etc... I have to reboot to get the Mac to see them. If you have a second can you see if the behavior is the same on your stock USB plugs? I've read that powered USB hubs can solve my problem, but I don't need another "dongle" and would add a PCI USB card if that solves my issue.

bwillwall

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Yes, that was my question. One of the little glitches with my Open Core setup is I can't hot swap USB devices like keyboards/mice etc... I have to reboot to get the Mac to see them. If you have a second can you see if the behavior is the same on your stock USB plugs? I've read that powered USB hubs can solve my problem, but I don't need another "dongle" and would add a PCI USB card if that solves my issue.
OK yeah I do have the same issue!

With my setup, I noticed that after sleep, my mouse wouldn't work again with any built in USB ports. It DOES work on both of my USB 3 cards however I cannot wake from it. The way I wake up is with my keyboard, which continues to work wired, but it's an apple magic keyboard 2 plugged in via lightning. If I unplug it... I have to plug it back in via the external PCI port to continue using the keyboard as I just now discovered in the middle of this reply. I need a new WiFi/Bluetooth card for Monterey I presume because they don't work for now either.

I suppose it works okay to plug them into the PCI USBs and then to wake up press the power button on the mac.

Reactions: fatespawn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.