Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blurryface11452

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2024
- **Frustration with Apple’s Recent Decisions**:
- Apple has launched iPadOS 18 with new AI features, but they are only supported on iPad Pro and iPad Air models with M chips.
- These AI features would be very useful for college students, but the need to buy more expensive models to access them is frustrating.
- I was considering buying an iPad 10th gen for its affordability, but disappointed that it won’t have the new AI features.

- **Incompatibility Issues with Apple Watch and iPhone**:
- Attempted to pair Apple Watch SE 1st gen with iPhone 8 after resetting the watch.
- The watch auto-updated, even though auto-update was not enabled, making it incompatible with the iPhone 8 as it doesn’t support iOS 17.
- Apple Support’s only solution was to buy a new iPhone, which is not a feasible option as the current phone works perfectly otherwise.

- **Perception of Apple’s Focus on Profit Over Innovation**:
- Apple seems to be adding new chips to devices without significant innovations.
- Recent moves appear to prioritize revenue over accommodating a broad range of customers.
- The AI feature should be available on all current iPad models, not just the high-end ones so that student or just users with less money can use it.
- The auto-update issue with the Apple Watch is a common problem faced by many users, not just an isolated incident.

- **Disappointment in Apple's Current Approach**:
- Apple’s recent actions are not in line with previous expectations from the company.
- Feels that Apple is no longer keeping every type of customer in mind, unlike before.

I don’t think apple is keeping “give people wonderful tools and they'll do wonderful things” in mind while making products or OS

All this isn’t expected from apple.
Please do something about it!

Reactions: StoneJack

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I've been seeing M1 iPad Airs for $399 the last couple days. I see no reason to buy a 10th gen. Those models may be able to potentially run the AI software, but it might not be a good experience. That's just how Apple's price ladder works, the Pro models get the new features, then they trickle down to the rest of the lineup throughout the next few years.

I'd be upset if the iPad 11th gen or next iPad mini doesn't get these AI features though. At that point, it would seem intentional. My 14 Pro doesn't get these features, but it still does the same things (plus more) that I originally bought it with.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
.- **Disappointment in Apple's Current Approach**:
- Apple’s recent actions are not in line with previous expectations from the company.
- Feels that Apple is no longer keeping every type of customer in mind, unlike before
Clearly you’ve only been with Apple a short while; they’ve been doing this for years! I remember when you had to pay more money just to get a DVD drive that could burn disks!

Blurryface11452

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2024
Clearly you’ve only been with Apple a short while; they’ve been doing this for years! I remember when you had to pay more money just to get a DVD drive that could burn disks!
I’ve been using apple since the launch of iPhone SE 1st gen but never really noticed it that much.

Blurryface11452

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2024
I've been seeing M1 iPad Airs for $399 the last couple days. I see no reason to buy a 10th gen. Those models may be able to potentially run the AI software, but it might not be a good experience. That's just how Apple's price ladder works, the Pro models get the new features, then they trickle down to the rest of the lineup throughout the next few years.

I'd be upset if the iPad 11th gen or next iPad mini doesn't get these AI features though. At that point, it would seem intentional. My 14 Pro doesn't get these features, but it still does the same things (plus more) that I originally bought it with.
Well not everyone can spend 400 dollars cause I have to save up money yea and the iPad Air m1 is now not in production anymore so I would prefer buy a one that is still available

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
First, you should always buy a product based on what it can do now, and not on future capabilities expectations. Apple may not be willing or able to implement a new feature in a particular iPad model, and it’s up to them to decide. You are not entitled to future features, although I understand why you are disappointed.

Second, none of the announced AI features are essential. Some of them can be supported through other AI platforms and services, even if it’s not directly tied to the OS. If you believe that you *need* to upgrade to a newer or more expensive iPad just because of Apple Intelligence, this if your sole decision, nobody at Apple forces you to do it.

Finally, I can’t help but point out the inconsistency on this forum about the perception of M-based chips in the iPad lineup. At first, people said that Apple will finally be able to deliver new experiences and capabilities with this chip series, and now that they do (AI, Stage Manager, Thunderbolt), people complain that they are unfair with A-series chip. They just aren’t the same chip, and so I think you assume a lot of things when you say that Apple Intelligence should be able to run on A-series iPads.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
- **Frustration with Apple’s Recent Decisions**:
- Apple has launched iPadOS 18 with new AI features, but they are only supported on iPad Pro and iPad Air models with M chips.
- These AI features would be very useful for college students, but the need to buy more expensive models to access them is frustrating.
- I was considering buying an iPad 10th gen for its affordability, but disappointed that it won’t have the new AI features.

- **Incompatibility Issues with Apple Watch and iPhone**:
- Attempted to pair Apple Watch SE 1st gen with iPhone 8 after resetting the watch.
- The watch auto-updated, even though auto-update was not enabled, making it incompatible with the iPhone 8 as it doesn’t support iOS 17.
- Apple Support’s only solution was to buy a new iPhone, which is not a feasible option as the current phone works perfectly otherwise.

- **Perception of Apple’s Focus on Profit Over Innovation**:
- Apple seems to be adding new chips to devices without significant innovations.
- Recent moves appear to prioritize revenue over accommodating a broad range of customers.
- The AI feature should be available on all current iPad models, not just the high-end ones so that student or just users with less money can use it.
- The auto-update issue with the Apple Watch is a common problem faced by many users, not just an isolated incident.

- **Disappointment in Apple's Current Approach**:
- Feels that Apple is no longer keeping every type of customer in mind, unlike before.

I don’t think apple is keeping “give people wonderful tools and they'll do wonderful things” in mind while making products or OS

All this isn’t expected from apple.
Please do something about it!
How is this addressed to me? I’m 63 on medical retirement,have adequate money, buy toys and have numerous apple devices. I like what it is. Don’t have to change for nobody then no one has to change for me either. If you don’t like Apple products go buy something else from another company.

Tom

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Wanted to add that, as a dialysis patient, I make my own fortune and health to the extent of my education, finances & motivation. I do not expect Apple to make tools to help me with dialysis; but I use the open ended tools that I buy from Apple/ecosystem vendors to make my own framework. That’s an over wordy way of saying I do what I can to manage with what I can buy or learn.

1. Apple Pencil/notetaking apps > log all my medications, blood pressures, diets, changes, etc
2. An app called Just Press Record to take notes from medical staff that auto-transcribes and spits transcribed notes through iCloud to my Macs at home
3. Calendars 5 (Readdle) to keep track of busy schedule and to prevent me from forgetting to take meds

I’m making use of the tools that Apple sells. But *I* decide how I will use the tools to my advantage(s). And obviously I want all of these tools to work together. They mostly do even when I download beta software on all Macs, iPhone, iPads and etc.

So, comms and computing; both stationary & mobile. The what to use is provided by Apple. The how to use is on me 🇨🇦👌😎

Tom

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Attempted to pair Apple Watch SE 1st gen with iPhone 8 after resetting the watch.
That's been a common issue for like 10 years already and even before that…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.