Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alasdairiain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I'm not trying to be an ******, but I just have to say:

1) If you aren't 100% certain that you know exactly what HDR is, then you probably shouldn't be writing about it.

2) Just glancing at your HDR shots in your gallery, they look like those typical overcooked HDRs the web is so full of.

To me, the main goal of a good HDR is to make it look like it isn't an HDR. If it is obvious even from the thumbnails, then it's no good.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i hate HDR with a passion. Just buy a split grad and learn how they work. HDR takes no skill. A good HDR that looks like it isn't an HDR takes skill.

And you can make an HDR out of 2 images.

sweetie81

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Yes I don't like them either. The best picture for me is a picture that I don't have to edit after I shot it.

HDR doesn't do the trick for me. If you use HDR for a bit dynamic sky for isntance that would be ok as long as it's not too obvious.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Like stated above I like HDR when it isn't so overused in an image. Though I have seen some super extreme HDRs that almost make the image look like this weird sort of painting. Kinda cool, but for the most part, subtle use or yuck!

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I gave up on HDR, well mostly.
When I first got my T1i last fall I tried quite a few times to make a decent HDR and spent way too much time for what I ended up with.

Possible for grand mountain shots, vista shots, etc HDR would be a useful tool, but since I'm here in SE Mich can't say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.