Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbharj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
...Just a thought, this is really an "S" update. No physical change (apart from less 3.5mm aux). The camera and speed improved which is usually an "S" feature. This should have come out a year ago as the 6S... Dont get me wrong, it's probably the best iteration of the iPhone to date, but i feel kinda let down still...

Reactions: ABC5S and g75d3

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
...Just a thought, this is really an "S" update. No physical change (apart from less 3.5mm aux). The camera and speed improved which is usually an "S" feature. This should have come out a year ago as the 6S... Dont get me wrong, it's probably the best iteration of the iPhone to date, but i feel kinda let down still...
You got a point.
I was hoping they would change the design entirely but I'm truly satisfied with my purchase.
Let's see what happens next year yeah!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Umm, the iPhone 6S was a huge step up in performance from the 6. Massive step. It's incredible how they've managed such a big CPU/GPU jump again. Plus the 6S had a reinforced body to stop the bending.

The iPhone 7 is different. There's a big physical change in that it's properly water resistant. If it looks too similar, who cares. It's what's inside and what it does that counts.

Don't get your hopes up for next year. It'll likely be the 7S. Wait until 2018 if you're wanting an edge-to-edge display and the home button completely removed.

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016

Logical fallacy.

Reactions: MrBukey

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I get people being disappointed here wasn't a huge change. Usually, we get one every two years. This phone looks almost identical to my 6. But I liked my 6 a lot. It was my favorite iPhone by far (until this one), and the 7 runs circles around it. It's a great phone but it absolutely lacks the initial wow factor we usually get every two years.

Reactions: ABC5S

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I get people being disappointed here wasn't a huge change. Usually, we get one every two years. This phone looks almost identical to my 6. But I liked my 6 a lot. It was my favorite iPhone by far (until this one), and the 7 runs circles around it. It's a great phone but it absolutely lacks the initial wow factor we usually get every two years.

It is getting harder and harder for the phone makers to WOW it's owners.
[doublepost=1474370169][/doublepost]
No we don't. The thread starter is complaining that the shape is still the same as 6 series hence why it's more of a S update rather than the usual new shape when the series goes up in a number.

BUT, we STILL hear this every year!

Reactions: AlphaHumanus

sbharj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
No we don't. The thread starter is complaining that the shape is still the same as 6 series hence why it's more of a S update rather than the usual new shape when the series goes up in a number.

Exactly... Granted the 6S was a huge performance improvement, but from a "new number" surely we should expect more??

To all those saying "we hear this every year" - maybe. Personally I haven't and i think there is some validity to what I said, but of course, this is all IMHO. It's still a great phone and i really like it, just don't think it deserves a new number!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly... Granted the 6S was a huge performance improvement, but from a "new number" surely we should expect more??

To all those saying "we hear this every year" - maybe. Personally I haven't and i think there is some validity to what I said, but of course, this is all IMHO. It's still a great phone and i really like it, just don't think it deserves a new number!
We have come to expect more as far as external/visual design change simply because that's how it has been in the past, but that doesn't really mean that's how it will always be or how it should really be, or that smaller external/visual changes somehow mean something negative in one way or another.

joonyaboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
FL
I'm thrilled with the 7 (coming from a 6S).

I think people get worked up throughout the year and the rumor mills surely aren't helping.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That double fugly camera bulge…OMG.

I would have stuck with my 6+ when we ported to T-Mobile if THAT boil on the back was what I was going to get a year ago. Already didn't care for it with the 6 series.

You and I have a difference of opinion I think about what constitutes 'best iteration'.
[doublepost=1474402902][/doublepost]
It's what's inside and what it does that counts.
Uh, no. It doesn't count. Not for me.

I value what it looks like over what's inside and what it does.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Contrary to gut feelings, the 6 to 6s was a huge upgrade performance wise.

I agree. My 7+ is on it way and will be glad to have it but do not expect it to be a giant leap in technology. iOS10 is rather nice and I do like the idea of a non-moving home button.

Like I said, it is what it is, like it or not, this is what the 7 and 7+ offer. Everyone has to make their choice.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just because they set a precedent of every 2 years upgrading hardware design, doesn't mean they will follow it. Other brands are on longer than 2 year cycles.

UKFan643

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Don't get your hopes up for next year. It'll likely be the 7S. Wait until 2018 if you're wanting an edge-to-edge display and the home button completely removed.

You may end up being correct, but pretty much every expert out there is saying 2017 would be the year for the big design change. It would be shocking if Apple had the same design for 4 straight years.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Right below this thread. LOL Happens every year ;)

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 1.43.54 PM.png

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm kind of tires of people saying there was no physical change. The entire body is a new body. Just because it looks and feels similar doesn't make it so. Just the difference of the camera hole alone is drastic.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'll say this...the 7's battery should have been in the 6s.

There was no good reason why the 6s had a smaller battery...none.

With the 7, the loss of the 3.5mm jack is the only bad thing. Had Apple kept the jack, the 7 would have been (IMO) the finest phone for the ages.

A classic for the record books: black, great CPU/GPU, great battery, great camera, water-resistant, etc.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'll say this...the 7's battery should have been in the 6s.

There was no good reason why the 6s had a smaller battery...none.

With the 7, the loss of the 3.5mm jack is the only bad thing. Had Apple kept the jack, the 7 would have been (IMO) the finest phone for the ages.

I'm pretty sure they had to thin the battery for the thicker display with 3D Touch on the 6s. Therefore, yes they had to reduce the size in order to maintain the same body.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm pretty sure they had to thin the battery for the thicker display with 3D Touch on the 6s. Therefore, yes they had to reduce the size in order to maintain the same body.

Apple could have put a bigger battery at any time.

Yes, it would have made the phone a bit thicker, but so what. (I know that would have been unpopular for some.)

Reactions: ABC5S
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.