Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks, Scuba!

giphy.gif

BrianNH

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Make sure to scroll down to the second section:

If you don't encrypt your iTunes backup, Health and Activity data from your iOS device or Apple Watch won't be saved.

That is the official way as far as I'm concerned. This also gets your saved passwords etc. I also find it helps to have the apps already updated in itunes otherwise it can take forever to get them all onto the phone, especially if you're doing more than one.

Reactions: ScubaCinci

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Reactions: ScubaCinci

Sabotage

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I want to set mine up as new, because I've had issues and I don't want to bring over any software problems. But I also want to keep all my calendars and contacts. Will that sync with my iCloud account without restoring from backup?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I want to set mine up as new, because I've had issues and I don't want to bring over any software problems. But I also want to keep all my calendars and contacts. Will that sync with my iCloud account without restoring from backup?

Go to settings > iCloud. If calendars and contacts toggle is on. They will restore when you add iCloud to your new phone.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
The following article is mentioned at the bottom of the above article, but is important enough to link here.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201351

It describes what to do with the old phone.
I've been wondering about this, I normally sell my phone after getting a new one... this year i'm upgrading through IUP so I will be swapping and getting new phone all at same time. I normally do a full restore in iTunes before selling, is the erase all content and settings as secure? Not sure what Apple plans on doing with the phones (what their process before reselling or whatever is)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I've been wondering about this, I normally sell my phone after getting a new one... this year i'm upgrading through IUP so I will be swapping and getting new phone all at same time. I normally do a full restore in iTunes before selling, is the erase all content and settings as secure? Not sure what Apple plans on doing with the phones (what their process before reselling or whatever is)

I don't believe anything is as secure as DFU. But Apple is just going to take the phone and refurbish it. Just like if you were to go in for a replacement. They will ask you to erase all settings and content. But they will fully erase the chipset before sticking it in a new device. It will most likely even get a software update.

Reactions: i hate phones

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
I don't believe anything is as secure as DFU. But Apple is just going to take the phone and refurbish it. Just like if you were to go in for a replacement. They will ask you to erase all settings and content. But they will fully erase the chipset before sticking it in a new device. It will most likely even get a software update.
That's a good point, I never worried about it when I've gotten a replacement, so not sure why i'm so paranoid about it now.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks for the link. Bookmarked it for next year because I just bought a phone for my wife under the IUP first time this year.

I have a question about restoring iOS 9.3.5 backup from iPhone 6 to iOS 10 on iPhone 7. She currently uses an iPhone 6 and is on 9.3.5. If I make an encrypted backup of this, will I be able to load this backup onto the new phone without upgrading her old phone to iOS10?
Her Company has asked their employees not to upgrade to iOS10 due to compatibility issues.

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
If I am not mistaken iPhone 7 will come with iOS 10 and you cannot use older back up. I am not sure yet, I could be wrong.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for the link. Bookmarked it for next year because I just bought a phone for my wife under the IUP first time this year.

I have a question about restoring iOS 9.3.5 backup from iPhone 6 to iOS 10 on iPhone 7. She currently uses an iPhone 6 and is on 9.3.5. If I make an encrypted backup of this, will I be able to load this backup onto the new phone without upgrading her old phone to iOS10?
Her Company has asked their employees not to upgrade to iOS10 due to compatibility issues.

I've personally never liked restoring a backup from a different device with an older version of iOS. It is 100% possibly but in my eyes it's more to go wrong. If you can't upgrade the iPhone 6 to iOS 10 then try restoring the backup. Now if you get it onto the 7 and run into issues. You can try resetting all settings (you won't lose data but will have to configure it to your liking) or upgrade the iPhone 6, make a backup. Restore to the 7 and then downgrade the iPhone 6. (Assuming iOS 9.3.5 is still being signed).
[doublepost=1473951478][/doublepost]
If I am not mistaken iPhone 7 will come with iOS 10 and you cannot use older back up. I am not sure yet, I could be wrong.
You can restore an older backup on a newer device. You can't do the opposite.

9.3.5 backup on 10 is fine. 10 backup on 9.3.5 won't work.

BrianNH

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015

It will but you can always use an older backup to restore to a newer device. (otherwise the backup is kinda useless)
[doublepost=1473953082][/doublepost]

If you have a recent iOS that encrypts the content (ios8+ iirc), then what is happening is it erases the keys that unlock all your data, effectively rendering it wiped. Remember all the hoopla about the Government trying to get into the iPhone? This is why, because entering the passcode too many times does the same thing. No key, no data.

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
I've personally never liked restoring a backup from a different device with an older version of iOS. It is 100% possibly but in my eyes it's more to go wrong. If you can't upgrade the iPhone 6 to iOS 10 then try restoring the backup. Now if you get it onto the 7 and run into issues. You can try resetting all settings (you won't lose data but will have to configure it to your liking) or upgrade the iPhone 6, make a backup. Restore to the 7 and then downgrade the iPhone 6. (Assuming iOS 9.3.5 is still being signed).
[doublepost=1473951478][/doublepost]
You can restore an older backup on a newer device. You can't do the opposite.

9.3.5 backup on 10 is fine. 10 backup on 9.3.5 won't work.

Something you learn everyday. Thanks for clarifying that to me. Cheers!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.