Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Would anything still in the downloaded files and or updates cause the fan or fans to run really high and a bit (obnoxiously) loud? I've cleared out anything I've downloaded (from updates from the machine) The noise isn't there anymore.

The noise I mentioned hasn't happened at a rate where it would be annoying to me or anyone around me. When it gets to the point of being nerve-wracking. I just stop what I am doing and just come back later.

I also think that maybe I forgot to install an update for SMC fan control... I am, however, keeping SMC fan control on to keep my MBP cooler in the summertime or when I can get outside.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
The fans don't care about what you actually download or store, they care about the HEAT, which is caused by CPU USAGE. Thus the more CPU is used, the more HEAT is generated.

Or am I understanding you completely wrong?

Btw, the fans idle at 2000 RPM.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

All is noted and done. Thank you... I also never have the lid (screen) pushed so far back that it is at an angle larger than 90 degrees. That way, if for some reason the screen is forced back really hard. (A clingy niece who is very strong for being a 4 year old.) It'll give it some space to go somewhere and may prevent a break of the hinge.

Thank you.

SpazzyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Denmark
Don't you think that somehow the Thermal paste has dried out? (if they do?)

And since it's from 2009 it highly most likely got a nice layer of dust in the heatsink/s? :) after all my MBP bought in April had allready started "creating" a nice layer off dust that made the Machine run hotter this December.

Edit: Look at Step 11 here see if you can do it, but you don't have to remove the connector (the one he is removing with a spudger)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Edit: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Teardown/814/2 (I don't know how to make the fancy way of linking websites)

When you reply, look for the following icon above the text entry field:
createlink.gif

Just enter text in the text entry field and then select the portion of the text you want to have a link, click that icon and enter the www address into the pop up field.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Don't you think that somehow the Thermal paste has dried out? (if they do?)

And since it's from 2009 it highly most likely got a nice layer of dust in the heatsink/s? :) after all my MBP bought in April had allready started "creating" a nice layer off dust that made the Machine run hotter this December.

Edit: Look at Step 11 here see if you can do it, but you don't have to remove the connector (the one he is removing with a spudger)

I forgot about the thermal paste aspect. Though, I am not sure, like you, if it does dry out. Everything is cool and quiet at the moment. Thank you. :)

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
do you have any programs installed that control the fans different from the default?

does anyone have a list of all the programs that do this? I wouldn't know since I use the default.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
do you have any programs installed that control the fans different from the default?

does anyone have a list of all the programs that do this? I wouldn't know since I use the default.

The programs I have are:
Microsoft Messenger for Mac (no parralels)
SeaMonkey (for one extra browser incase safari acts up)
coconut battery
ClamXav

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
The programs I have are:
Microsoft Messenger for Mac (no parralels)
SeaMonkey (for one extra browser incase safari acts up)
coconut battery
ClamXav

my post wasn't very clear. I was asking what programs allow the user to modify the fan profile. Do you have any extra addons to your System preferences? (bottom, under the "other" tab)

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
my post wasn't very clear. I was asking what programs allow the user to modify the fan profile. Do you have any extra addons to your System preferences? (bottom, under the "other" tab)
You mean something like SMC fan control, right? I've got that but I also stumbled on to something else that I can adjust the fan speed that was already on my MBP, and for the most part, they've been so quiet I can't even hear them.

It's just 'fan control' in the system preferences. Once in awhile it'll get annoying again, but not nearly as loud or obnoxious as what I first posted in the earlier thread.

Everything's OK as of right now. I don't think my MBP has reached temperatures higher than 60 *C for a few days now. :) I think the fact that for some reason or another, I was niave enough to assume that SMC updates would automatically install on their own. I had a few that needed to be installed and after the instalation, things got better almost imediately.

Thank you, again. :)

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
You mean something like SMC fan control, right? I've got that but I also stumbled on to something else that I can adjust the fan speed that was already on my MBP, and for the most part, they've been so quiet I can't even hear them.

It's just 'fan control' in the system preferences.

In a normal OSX installation, there is no 'fan control' in the system preferences. This must be some program (or a prefpane, to be more precise) you installed at some point in the past.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
In a normal OSX installation, there is no 'fan control' in the system preferences. This must be some program (or a prefpane, to be more precise) you installed at some point in the past.

I've adjusted the fans and uninstalled SMC fan control, things are going fine now. I just forgot to update here and close this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.