Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misybee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
England
I have a 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina, I only bought it last month off ebay. This morning I woke up to black and coloured lines running down the middle of the screen, they've now spread a bit further and are also horizontal but are definitely coming from one obvious place, which makes me think it's a connection issue. They react when pressure is applied but alway return and new ones can appear from this.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/KNpoA

Because it's out of warranty and second had I'm in a bit of a mess in terms of getting it repaired by Apple, especially as I don't even live near an Apple store. I'm a student so don't exactly have cash to spare so may just have to deal with this for a while until I can afford to fix it. I've sent out a few messages to local repair shops and one guy has come back saying he will replace the graphics card for £250, I'm no expert, but I don't think that will fix the issue. Does anyone have any advice or know what this is?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Where? I can't see anything dented, or cracked, etc.

See cracks at bottom.
Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 15.46.21.png

misybee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
England

Hi, do you think that would be inside on the LCD then? (Sorry if that's completely off I don't know screens very well) The actual screen itself on the outside is not damaged. And there was nothing to suggest something hit it, although I have heard it can be done just by closing the lid too fast.

And thank you for your response!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi, do you think that would be inside on the LCD then? (Sorry if that's completely off I don't know screens very well) The actual screen itself on the outside is not damaged. And there was nothing to suggest something hit it, although I have heard it can be done just by closing the lid too fast.

And thank you for your response!

What you can touch from the outside is a protective piece of plastic. There are layers of glass, polarizers, etc behind it. If any of them fail because you closed an ear bud on the screen, put too much pressure on the backside of the display by putting books in a backpack, dropped the unit, someone sat on it, etc. The display can break.

Here is an image showing a generic display and how components are sandwiched together.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...0k1j0i24k1.0.Nx-GVsaLMEQ#imgrc=IziTvTkGzhdGlM:

Reactions: misybee

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
It looks like you need a new screen assembly try a local repair shop since  will be way too expensive for parts + labor

Reactions: misybee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.